No announcement yet.

Italian university switches to English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunlight gone to the dogs....literally and figuratively....

Comment

True enough... I saw the series with the male sprinter from Wolmers (don't remember his name) and a cute little (small build but was doing hurdles I believe) sassy girl ... she was very good... while their script might have been prepared the delivery was excellent and seemed very natural.
      Peter R

Comment

I don't see how that will do anything to address the basic problem of Janaicans not being fluent in standard English.

One of the better suggestions I heard on this forum was the idea of treating English as a second language for the students who clearly do not have exposure to it at home. Dont know what practical challenges that would present though.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Did you hawks them where they got their serfi-ticket?
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

which would mean said school that got the thumping 'athletes' gone to dog doo-doo...

literally and figuratively..

Comment

Not necessarily..they cld have had a bad game...

Comment

clearly.. a record setting bad game.. epic.. not once but twice..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  "The university has announced that from 2014 most of its degree courses - including all its graduate courses - will be taught and assessed entirely in English rather than Italian.
                  The waters of globalisation are rising around higher education - and the university believes that if it remains Italian-speaking it risks isolation and will be unable to compete as an international institution"

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17958520

Meanwhile in the island of Jamaica there are those advocating that subjects be taught in patios.
                  What that really shows is that how economics with political power dominates and sets the international environment nations/business operate in. Its not that the idea of teaching patios is wrong. Its whether JA has the economic/political pull to draw other nations in its direction.
                  China is a good example of this with its increased global economic importance it becoming advantageous to be able to use/understand mandarin.

Comment

hold on.. yuh putting forward a scenario of teaching patios to the international business community.. ala China and Mandarin ?

Somebody point me in the direction of the Stargate.. need to get back to earth before it closes...

ah wheh di.. !?

lol ! woiee !!

As Corey Todd would say: "Unnuh nuh eaassy yuh nuh !:

lol !

Is ongly wi coulda produce a Marcus Garvey fi chue... profundity abounds..

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                      hold on.. yuh putting forward a scenario of teaching patios to the international business community.. ala China and Mandarin ?

Somebody point me in the direction of the Stargate.. need to get back to earth before it closes...

ah wheh di.. !?

lol ! woiee !!

As Corey Todd would say: "Unnuh nuh eaassy yuh nuh !:

lol !

Is ongly wi coulda produce a Marcus Garvey fi chue... profundity abounds..
                      Well,... yuh might laugh at the thought but people would also have once laughed at the thought of Latin being replaced as the tongue of politics/commerce. But the english language (with the rise of the empire) gradually come and tek over. If China's continued growth, power and influence continues to grow as it is, and they decided that to trade or sell to them such activities were required to be conducted using Mandarin, then yuh dont think foreign companies/organisations wouldnt make sure they had people that spoke/taught that language if it created wealth?
                      Or put it another way. Let say China's national tongue just happened to be Patois. Would you still laugh at the scenario of Chinese Patois being taught/ spoken in the international business community?

Comment

The teaching of Patois is 'wrong'.. because Jamaica has the regional political and economic power of a 3rd World mendicant...

Comprendo ?

yuh know how much money dem spend a develop Patois Bible.. ?

summady want a big b&(^#* lick innah dem head..

Yuh tink mi coulda speak Patios at home ?! big lick fi dat..

Wheh dat ah guh tek mi ? Aftah mi nevah guh school fi become Dance hall artist !

Last edited by Muadib; May 20, 2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                          The teaching of Patois is 'wrong'.. because Jamaica has the regional political and economic power of a 3rd World mendicant...

Comprendo ?

yuh know how much money dem spend a develop Patois Bible.. ?

summady want a big b&(^#* lick innah dem head..

Yuh tink mi coulda speak Patios at home ?! big lick fi dat..

Wheh dat ah guh tek mi ? Aftah mi nevah guh school fi become Dance hall artist !

If you read my first post to thread, you'd see i recognised the influence power in politics and economics can play; but how i'm reading yr post is that yr saying.. Its a waste of time to learn Patois, because JA lacks economic/political influence.
                          Dont you consider patois to be a language just like any other language spoken today?

Comment

I agree with you... but the inclusion of patois in the curriculum would be to give it legitimacy and also to recognise that it is the "language" of communication of many and that it is indeed a living language... the teaching of English as suggested is probably to include a component (concurrently) that as you say treats English as a foreign language... the challenge is: are there enough qualified teachers of English to deliver the programme?
                            Peter R

Comment

ahh.. no.. if it was, my parents would have allowed me to speak it at home... they did not encourage bad habits..

Comment

Mek mi stay outa dis ya one....or should it be I will stay out of this one? You see, despite the good intentions of your parents - they are not mutually exclusive...maybe I was lucky...our family was bi-lingual....

Comment

Working...
                                X