X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway plan not viable

Highway plan not viable

Published: Wednesday | May 2, 2012

A STUDY commissioned by the National Road Operating and Constructing Company Limited (NROCC) has revealed that the proposed US$600-million Highway 2000 north-south link project was not commercially viable.
    The government-owned company also divulged in April to the Office of eral the Contractor General (OCG) that China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) advised the administration it would not participate should the project be put to competitive tender.

In a 12-page statement to the media yesterday, Contractor General Greg Christie said his office was alarmed at NROCC's position set out in a letter to the National Contracts Commission (NCC) that the project was not financially viable in terms of return on investment over the life of the proposed concession.

According to Christie, NROCC, in a presentation to the NCC on March 13, 2012, advised the commission that, "In order to determine the viability of the project [it] also commissioned its own advisers Steer Davies Gleave (SDG) to review the project".

The results of the analysis using SDG revenue projections showed that the project was not viable if it was to be undertaken on commercial terms at the available interest rates.

The study also showed differences in projected "SDG versus CHEC revenues ranged between 268 per cent and 277 per cent for the period 2015 through to 2019.

"Based on the foregoing, the ability of the project, even over 50 years, to repay the loans is extremely doubtful and could not be undertaken by any other company but a Chinese firm given their availability of cash," the study pointed out.

SDG is said to have been the traffic adviser to NROCC since 2000.

Irregular transaction
    Christie argued that the purported tender in the form of an "unsolicited proposal", which has been submitted by CHEC, was a highly irregular transaction which could not be matched by any other entity and/or person and would, as a consequence, have no relevance in a competitive tender process.

The OCG boss highlighted that the Ministry of Transport and Works and NROCC had placed on record that there was no bilateral agreement between the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) and its Chinese counterpart "which is informing and or which has informed the GOJ's acceptance of the 'unsolicited proposal' from CHEC.

"It is also the case that the GOJ is purportedly not in receipt of any form of concession from either the Chinese government and/or CHEC, as it regards the construction of the north-south link for Highway 2000."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead6.html
    Granted more info is needed...can someone 'break' the above down?
    ...and give an opinion on whether or not the OCG or the GOJ is going down a path that best serves Jamaica's interest?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Christie doing a good job, but in certain cases there needs to be room for an unsolicited proposal and a negotiated transaction instead of the competitive process. Majority of things should be done through the competitive tender.

Comment

Well then the policy makers suppose to put it in to law. We can't make up the rules as we go along and then blame Christie for stopping progress.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

2nd dat (ME) .They admit it isnt commericially viable on the open market and only the chinese can handle it.

Leave it be.Christie is right by the book , but wrong by the nations economic interest.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Nothing the Chinese built went to tender. What do we do? Just allow them alone to get away with it? From Trelawny stadium to JDIP.

We need their help but we also need acountablility to the Jamaican people, are they above that?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If a man give you a gift you don't have to accept it. You can refuse the gift. Can Jamaica afford to do that?

Comment

Is there one law for Chinese and one for everybody else? It is no gift, it has to be paid back.

We must set up laws to monitor project. This is a easy to manipilate and the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This create a big hole for government to run with it and many more Trelawny and St.Catherine stadiums and JDIP projects that the cost double.

Comment

Is it a loan or an investment ?

Comment

ask the OCG or the GOJ.

Comment

Christie waan know is what wi promise di Chinese since clearly dem cyaan mek money offah di toll fi pay fah di investment..

Him too nosy !

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Nothing the Chinese built went to tender. What do we do? Just allow them alone to get away with it? From Trelawny stadium to JDIP.

We need their help but we also need acountablility to the Jamaican people, are they above that?
                      You are now going to put gifts to tender? To do what? see who can give a bigger gift?

Comment

Christie waan know is what dem getting fi di Gift.. dem tek big man fi fool..

Comment

Mi nuh have no problem with him wanting to know that.

Comment

suh den everyting chris den..

Comment

From where I sit. it is the Jamaican people to know the answer to that question but not Christie's authority to demand that it be answered.

Comment

Working...
                              X