I Dream of a Kingston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Dream of a Kingston

As I have said many times before, Kingston has the potential to be the number one tourist destination in the Caribbean.

Published: Thursday | April 12, 2012 0 Comments

A section of the beautiful Kingston waterfront.

A couple watches the sunset on the Kingston waterfront.

1 2 >

The following is a presentation made by Gleaner Managing Director Christopher Barnes to downtown Kingston stakeholders on the 140th anniversary of the capital city yesterday.

THE GLEANER, being older than the city itself, is a proud and vibrant member of the downtown community, and we remain committed to the development of the city as Kingston celebrates its 140th anniversary. We are here today, and in the coming months through our media products, to make noise about another fantastic achievement this year, which is competing with Jamaica 50 for air time, but is phenomenal in its own right.
    We believe that, as the capital, much needs to be done, and should be done, to re-establish downtown as [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Jamaica's[/COLOR][/COLOR] commercial and cultural centre. Indeed, Kingston is the home of one of the oldest theatre houses in the region - the Ward Theatre (I pause to pay respect to Ruby Martin, a staunch advocate for the restoration of the theatre, who passed this weekend). Kingston is the centre for art and art lovers with the National Gallery. Kingston is still the place of major research and historical documentation with the National Library and, yes, through our very own Gleaner Archives.
    Reclaim former glory
    Kingston is a centre for rich historical architecture; we need to rebuild and/or restore Kingston's buildings to former glory. The richness of downtown's offerings is numerous and needs to be trumpeted.
    Today, we recognise the residents of downtown who play an important role in the life of the city, keeping the market district alive and supporting businesses downtown; and we also celebrate the commercial institutions and organisations which stimulate commercial activity in the city. We are grateful to those venerable institutions which have remained downtown over the years, and applaud those which are making the shift, having seen a vision of downtown achieving its full potential. This new energy will no doubt be contagious and will be a catalyst in the transformation process so badly needed. Already you can see it.
    It would be remiss of me not not make mention of and celebrate the relevant authorities who have had a hand in making downtown safer over the years. I often tell folks that I feel safer down here than I do uptown.
    We still have a far way to go despite our 140 years, we are resilient and focused, and we still have the potential to be the best city this side of the globe. My organisation will do its part to highlight the issues and opportunities with a view to bringing greater focus to achieving not just ours but Jamaica's vision.
    And what is that vision? I'm sure for many it varies, but I am willing to bet it goes a little like mine:
    A bustling [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]waterfront[/COLOR][/COLOR] commercial district rich in architecture, with cultural, art, culinary, and entertainment offerings. A place where families, local and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]tourists[/COLOR][/COLOR], converge for a day of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]excursions[/COLOR][/COLOR] and pause for rest in one of several green areas adjacent to the wonderful harbour lined with sailboats and the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Port [COLOR=blue !important]Royal[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] ferry. There are people walking, running, cycling along the boardwalk, or taking a dip in the water.
    A trip to the market along a cobbled street closed off to traffic results in an experience infused with rich colours, smells and tastes. A warm greeting awaits you from the myriad of persons selling their wares from fruits and vegetables to arts and crafts. Need to do some business? All of the major financial institutions and blue-chip companies are represented and easily accessible in a safe environment. Stop along the way to ask directions from the resident who has just left the residential towers overlooking the harbour, and notice that he or she doesn't appear to be stressed or in a hurry because everything he or she needs is nearby, including their place of work.
    The vision
    The streets are clean, people are riding bicycles or mopeds, traffic is orderly. At night, the streets are well lit, music accompanies you on your walk from your hotel to the nearest restaurant or bar. In need of live entertainment? Purchase your theatre tickets and head on down to the majestic Ward Theatre in the back of your human-drawn carriage. Insatiable appetite for nightlife? Choose from the myriad of nightclub offerings on the waterfront. The next morning starts with an early rise and quiet jog, or brisk walk before work, or another day of play. Ahhhh! Kingston!
    Every great achievement in history started with a vision. I invite all of you here today, listening or reading, to join in on this vision and bet like so many including The Gleaner have, on the great future of Kingston.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

More needs to be done fi mek it tourism friendly. Downtowns are more vibrant with an abundant of mixed uses, such as apartments (young couples without kids), empty nesters, shopping & entertainment etc.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

QUALITY of life enforcement will do that,fines for littered garbage,broken sidewalks ,hazardous home ,abandoned derilect, to be put up for auction,fines for violating building,business and storage codes , computerising our antiquated paper system.

It has been done the world over,waiting for a money bag to state the same and reap in the profits is ridiculous.....its called gentrefication where investors buy depreseed property to invest in an area , it spurs construction which means employment and a real estate boom,provides money in local and national gov coffers.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The government can iniate such a move by moving from the "talking and planning" stage to the doing. From NMA to Central Village should fall under the redevelopment plan, with many of those derelict buildings and communities being bulldozed.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yes, I didn't even touch of some of those items and there are areas of downtown Kingston that looks like a dump and has the perception of being very unsafe.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The city have so much potential but they need to sort out the factors that are keeping investors away. Start with the criminal elements that prey on businesses!

Comment

Start by knocking down the derelicts. Criminals are like rats, they thrive on the dirt and grime.

Comment

What about for Everyone, need nuff nuff little parks for Families...

Comment

That should go without saying when you are planning a city.

Comment

Build some decent apartments and first inhabitants should be the government ministers. Take them out of the St. Andrew hills and welcome them to a state of reality!

This could also reduce the allowances that they get for upkeep (no need for gardners etc.)
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Young families with children do not live in downtowns, and they will not seek to rent an apartment or buy a condo etc. There are specific demographics who are interested in innercity urban living and a shrewd businessmen knows his market.

Comment

Does not work in a successful downtown environment. Individuals who would prefer to live downtown include chi-chi, students, singles who have quick access to night life etc.

Comment

Right now , me or you cant buy or rent inna Harlem where as up to the early 90s , property was being given away.

THey bought up the old Brown stones renovated them , ran out of Brown stones and Bought up abandoned land and squeezed Apartments into to them ,for young yuppy ,college and post college kids....My construction company did a parking alot and a garden for a afro american and chinese gentleman.

These jokers down there dont have a bloody clue, the only thing they can do is cry.....WE BRUK AND IS PNP/JLP fault.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

That is true. Now what should be done to achieve this goal?

Comment

I guess you missed the jest of the initial post , the ways and means debated on the site.

Cant help yuh.

Comment

Working...
                              X