Time to level the ISSA playing field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to level the ISSA playing field?

May be if you did not get into high school via a government standard test then you should be forced to take an ISSA standard test before you can any be registered for and ISSA sport? Plus you need to maintain a D+ Average in four subjects (My guess is that the current standard is a F+ in four subjects.)
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

My question is what should we do with the most talented athletes who are failing?

Send them go a bush go dig ground? or should they be placed in special schools and compete against the regular high schools? Not every athlete going to be brains, although we still can help them.

Outside of high school meets there are no other development for a young track star in Jamaica.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No, we have to instill in them that academics is VERY, VERY important, and that it is necessary. Focus has to be on being a student athlete (if the two are combined) and not an athlete student!

The sad reality is that not many of them will transition to the professional stage as an athlete where they can survive off that craft/skill!
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        My question is what should we do with the most talented athletes who are failing?

Send them go a bush go dig ground? or should they be placed in special schools and compete against the regular high schools? Not every athlete going to be brains, although we still can help them.

Outside of high school meets there are no other development for a young track star in Jamaica.
        JC excluded or was forced to exclude one youth last year. They said they had different programmes and implied that he was not in the programme to complete at Champs. If a school or society really wants to help a talented youth then he or she can still run at the development meets but not at ISSA Champs unless the academic standards are met. What the big schools are doing now is to use some youths for ISSA money and glory and also deny scholars a place.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Nothing is WRONG with farming....first thing...next it has nothing really to do with 'brains'. always sm underlying learning difficulty, socio-economic situation or plain exploitation of the athlete...come and run, jump etc ...dont worry bout school...

Comment

Are they not all all high schools now anyway? That's certainly the case in the 2 parishes that I am familiar with.

So the issue isputting some responsibility on the schools to make sure the students go to class and are maintaining a basic standard, as you say. I agree with that. Might have to be a gradual progression but it's the right thing to do.

I know back in the day some schools didn't even require some of the ballers to go to class.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I understand what all three of you are saying but understand that not all of these kids will be able to get Bs and Cs. Some needs more teaching and help than the regular school system in Jamaica can provide. Some of them are what we call duncebat and is not because they are not interested in school or taking advantage.

I understand that the schools are using them but not because the schools are using some, mean they must be thrown to the wolves. How can these kids run in developmental meet when the meets mostly are aligned to schools??? That is a part of Jamaica's problem, if you nuh brite or can't pass 8 "0" levels we push you aside. What of the kid who got one or none for that matter?

Actually I know a few of those kids who for the first time got in an organised school. Bearly graduated and go on to do extra class or trade schools and end up ok. It may take them 5 years to get a two year degree or diploma. Exile nothing is wrong with farming but you know I am talking nonproductive farming that can't feed your own family.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

thank you sa. We need to make sure they go to class or make special preparation for them.

I am afraid we may leave some in the cold and even worst off than sitting in class. Take them out of class, then what is the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  I understand what all three of you are saying but understand that not all of these kids will be able to get Bs and Cs. Some needs more teaching and help than the regular school system in Jamaica can provide. Some of them are what we call duncebat and is not because they are not interested in school or taking advantage.

I understand that the schools are using them but not because the schools are using some, mean they must be thrown to the wolves. How can these kids run in developmental meet when the meets mostly are aligned to schools??? That is a part of Jamaica's problem, if you nuh brite or can't pass 8 "0" levels we push you aside. What of the kid who got one or none for that matter?

Actually I know a few of those kids who for the first time got in an organised school. Bearly graduated and go on to do extra class or trade schools and end up ok. It may take them 5 years to get a two year degree or diploma. Exile nothing is wrong with farming but you know I am talking nonproductive farming that can't feed your own family.
                  You are on the right path!

Happy you are not a "Muggy" Graham follower?!
                  His crusade is based on 'screwed up" reasoning. Perhaps 'he fell on his head'?

Kids are being denied places at schools because of financial constraints. Lack of money to 'overhaul' the education system from physical structures through to advances in/on teacher development.

The athlete who is 'behind' in school is at that place because of lack of the facilities and human capital needed to have afforded the athlete best prospects at academic advancement.

There is no student (person) incapable of learning ("unless he/she fell on head - is 'brain damaged'). Rather it is the exposure or lack of exposure to the 'tools' - (inclusive in those 'tools' is motivation to absorb various disciplines to which one is exposed) - that encourage academic advancement and determine outcome(s).

It is the arrogant and the foolish who think "brains" is theirs alone. Such persons tend to walk around with head in the air thinking all others inferior. A 'fool's way...right?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes not everybody going to be good at academics but there is no reason they should not be comfortable with the basics, the schools and the society owes them that much.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Very true (no class for ;ballas'..and I could name them...Cup Winners too...

Comment

Add to that is the fact that some of these kids just need to have someone in their corner, who BELIEVE in them and convince them that they can ACHIEVE!

But nuff of them get cursed out that they won't amount to anything good, and unfortunately some of them succumb to this ignorance.
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                        X