HL et al, I just returned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL et al, I just returned

from a three day visit to Bogotá... first of all it definitely wasn't enough time to see the place especially as I was there on work-related business. What I can say is that the treatment I got, the hospitality dealt to us (we were a group) was very impressive. Granted we stayed in an upscale neighbourhood, the hotel was a "boutique" style one and very nice.http://www.bhhoteles.com/ i was at bh La Quinta.

The food generally was very good, but lacked some of the pepper that living in TT trains the palate to crave... the service people from taxi driver to receptionist to waiter/ress to you name it were super nice and catered to all our needs and more. The institution that hosted us during the days almost killed us with food, so much so that by evening I had no appetite to go for dinner... I did go to a couple bar/restaurants near the hotels and the food there especially steak, was excellent. http://www.nileguide.com/destination...madillo/835533
    This guide says its food is American, but there was more than enough Colombian food that made the experience a pleasant one. I did detect an a distinct ex-pat presence among the clientele and so i wouldn't put this down to an "authentic" experience but given time constraints, proximity to my hotel and the fact that there was some rioting and vandalism in Bogota on Friday I over the increase in public transportation fares. I didn't get far from the neighbourhood.

Security was very high especially at the airport. I even had to sign my cambio receipt with a thumb-print as well at the airport. Everyone at our gate was made to line up and EVERY passenger's hand luggage was searched and ALL passengers were frisked. I unfortunately, was one of five who they sent to a room for extra search; we passed through an x-ray/scanner that the guy told us checked for drugs, explosives etc. I had to sign a release form and give them my index print that time. I don't think that that is an activity that they carry out for all departures but they must do it on a random basis.

Anyway, I have to make a return trip and this time with the wife... Santa Marta in the north came recommended for the sea, sand sun experience, but I would like to visit the city properly and also check out Medellin.
    Peter R

Many thanks for the update PR.

Although you did not get in the nitty-gritty of things...Colombia for the most part appears to be good place. It's on bucket-lists of places to visit...

You are right. The best way to know a place is to be among the 'everyday' people--taste the street-side cuisine and just talk.

Ever consider contributing to the travel section of the New York Times?

What!?
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yu miss the lime with the cricketers last nite...
      So tell me Peter-R, after the 'extra search', did you feel....defiled? Just asking.

Comment

Working...
      X