Hillary Sends Portia Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Sends Portia Help!

Burdened by economic and security problems, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller reached out for more help from one of Jamaica's traditional allies.

Simpson Miller tapped her long time friend United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for additional support and the US has responded positively.

Clinton last week sent a seven-member delegation including representatives of the US Departments of State, Justice, and Treasury, and the United States Agency for International Development to Jamaica for talks with government officials.

The team met with officials from the Ministries of National Security, Finance, Education, and Industry, Investment, and Commerce.

"It is just a matter of making sure we are being responsive to the needs of Jamaica and the needs that the government itself prioritises," head of the delegation Julissa Reynoso, US Deputy Assistant Secretary in charge of Western Hemisphere affairs told select journalists last week.

"Obviously, in a world where there are limited resources, we want to make sure that we are targeting our assistance and our support in the most immediate and impactful ways as identified by the government itself," added Reynoso.

With the commitment from the US to offer additional support to the Simpson Miller administration, Reynoso was quick to deny that this represents a thawing of the relationship between Kingston and Washington following a stand-off with the former Bruce Golding administration over the extradition request for Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.

"No we had a very good relationship with the Jamaican authorities, at least as far as I remember, and definitely during my tenure, we had a very fruitful and constructive dialogue and relationship with Prime Minister (Bruce) Golding's government," said Reynoso

"We are very much looking forward to having a very good and constructive relationship with this government," added Reynoso.

But Reynoso was clear that the government and people of Jamaica would have to play their part to get the country out of the present crisis.

"We are very much interested in seeing Jamaica grow ... but we also understand that not only the government but the people are going to have to make sacrifices."

In January 2010, Reynoso - then the most senior US official to visit Jamaica after the election of Barack Obama - had made it clear that the Americans would not back down on the extradition request for Coke.

This was in the middle of a stand-off as Jamaican government officials led by Golding claimed that Coke's constitutional rights would be breached if he was extradited.

As the stand-off continued, Golding was to issue his now famous line, "constitutional rights do not begin at Liguanea," which is where the US Embassy in Kingston is based.

Golding later said the quip was not referencing the US Embassy although the frosty relationship between the two capitals was obvious.

Under pressure locally and internationally, the Golding administration finally signed the extradition request.

Coke later pleaded guilty to two charges in the US and is to be sentenced on Friday with US officials requesting a more than 20-year prison sentence.

Yes P ah time di Lear jet dem fly (was wondering what was taking you so long). Causen say Harry want come play ah yard. Now it will be written that on your watch Royalty and jet setters returned to Ja shores. Once Harry and his friends come other high end will follow. These type of guest won't sit in no compound and look around. Finally some real tourist will come to Ja and freely spend their money. We can now leave those places with their prisoners (all inclusives or whatever) whilst real tourists enjoy the beauty of the island and warmth of the people.

These young men (inner city) need to be educated and trained; the rest that decides to live a life of crime will face the wrath of the state.

Good move P to reach beyond the diaspora. Black americans are in the states with a lot of expertise to aid Ja in building a real business class in Ja. Then you have other americans who want to see Ja grow. Crime must be defeated and the criminals in high places must go.

Mi know yuh neva ah go play wid dem Nanny P.

Comment

LOL... yuh lead yuh response wid Babylon "Royalty, High-Enders & Jet Setters" and assorted tourists coming back to Jamaica??

Is that the primary objective of establishing law & order?? I think you have it backwards...and upon reflection I'm sure you'll agree..

The #1 and overarching purpose of law enforcement is so Jamaicans can live in peace and achieve prosperity.... then we can think about our visitors as an important but secondary concern
      Last edited by Don1; March 11, 2012, 10:25 AM.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Beware all ye friends, supporters and enablers of the Associations of Loose People AKA Showa and other like-minded civic groups...

Babylon is on the way ...

US prosecutors coming to help Jamaica fight organised crime

Nice one Portia...doan tap atall

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

It's okay; I see you are not friendly with history and political science.

When you become close with the guys mentioned above.My point will become a glaring light.

Comment

The people have spoken. Yes sah

Comment

Whey di usual characters deh? Look like dem vex!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What history and political science are you referring to re the overarching objective of law and order??

When I come close to what guys you mention?? Prince Harry??

Nope...Not interested inn that glare... I might be blinded

Comment

True,

but mek wi see if Clinton fallah chroo. Clinton dem mout sweet, but dem nuh always deliver to the faithful.

Memba what Michael Moore seh inna him book dem.

Comment

when the warrant issue call me. Hopefully they will issue nuff.
                    Nothing I see to jump about. Base on the "facts" mi think more people woulda get dip by now.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dat mi ah seh.

Tired of the talk.
                      Mi waan see some crimanl get dip!

Comment

Working...
                      X