No announcement yet.

Quite a remarkable vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in JA myself two weeks ago for a long weekend, in fact the carnival weekend to Ash Wednesday... I don't have the pocket to stay in RIU or wherever else like unuh bigshot but I and my 12 yr old son in three days did quite a few of the "tourist" things... Mystic Mtn., Chukka Cove, White River... we stayed with a very kind and loving white-haired lady in Ochie who made us over the three days:escoveitch fish, rice and peas (kidney beans and gungo), ackee and salt fish, curry chicken, fry plantain, roast and fry breadfruit, yellow yam, sweet potato, offered us hard do bread and Red Stripe beer (me not my son )oh, and stew pork which we never even got around to tasting...btw the lady is my mother. We had food fi stone dog and my son went to town on the ackee and saltfish... mi siddung pon har balcony an tek in the Ochie view a evening when mi son jump in the pool downstairs the condo... had a great time. HL you know seh dat menu mash up RIU own yuh kno! but SIX lobster HL ?? yu nuh easy...

I must say ALL the guides on the tours were courteous, knowledgeable, humorous and did an excellent job... the guys who do the zip line tours at Mystic are very professional as well as those at Chukka... now my son and I were the only "locals" in our groups but I believe they thought we were foreign, as in not from yaad ... didn't say a word as it was interesting just observing how they did their thing... I just wish so many of them didn't feel the need to "twang" to the extent they do... other than that I think they are doing a good job.

On another note, people are having it hard in JA... compared to how people have it in Trinidad... Trinis don know how good dem have it. JA people seem more resourceful in terms of making a day to day living... a gardener who works up at my Mom's condo told me he spends almost half his days wages in transport... but he is able to hustle some jobs like washing cars, painting, and doing private jobs for the residents which makes it worth his while, otherwise he wouldn't make the trip from where he lives.

I am going to Colombia this weekend, will give some feedback on that when I return.
    Peter R

Comment

Footnote:On the way back my son met Popcaan on the flight to TT and got him to autograph his hat... now he (my son) won't wear the hat but wants to frame it... he also took his picture with Popcaan and it is now his wall picture on his phone and BBM (yes I broke down and bought him the phone for Christmas)...
      Peter R

Comment

lol
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
          I was in JA myself two weeks ago for a long weekend, in fact the carnival weekend to Ash Wednesday... I don't have the pocket to stay in RIU or wherever else like unuh bigshot but I and my 12 yr old son in three days did quite a few of the "tourist" things... Mystic Mtn., Chukka Cove, White River... we stayed with a very kind and loving white-haired lady in Ochie who made us over the three days:escoveitch fish, rice and peas (kidney beans and gungo), ackee and salt fish, curry chicken, fry plantain, roast and fry breadfruit, yellow yam, sweet potato, offered us hard do bread and Red Stripe beer (me not my son )oh, and stew pork which we never even got around to tasting...btw the lady is my mother. We had food fi stone dog and my son went to town on the ackee and saltfish... mi siddung pon har balcony an tek in the Ochie view a evening when mi son jump in the pool downstairs the condo... had a great time. HL you know seh dat menu mash up RIU own yuh kno! but SIX lobster HL ?? yu nuh easy...
          I knew the lady was your momma from the first line Me going to look for her, whenever I reach Ochie!
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

the lady accept "stray tourists" mi have fi put on on my list too.

Nothing beat a good vacation. Right now I feel like getting lost in the hills of Portland and go and walk my loney beach.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              the lady accept "stray tourists" mi have fi put on on my list too.

Nothing beat a good vacation. Right now I feel like getting lost in the hills of Portland and go and walk my loney beach.

Certainly, she does. Plus Peter R gave us an open invitation some months ago, to go look up mom, when we are in Ocho Rios
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Indeed!

A proactive government and good police force--could use these scum bags as a cash cows to fix the pot-holes on the major highways.

can't understand how the police cannot crack-down on reckless driving.

Saw a mini-van full with school children --being driven at a reckless speed and extremely high risk over-taking. Very sad:
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Not for us working class here...speak for yourself...
                  I can imagine how your Mom spoilt you rotten..ah bway...
                  Be careful of that triangle..Ja-TT-Colombia...

Comment

If my son tek any autograph from somebody name "Popcaan"...mi tek whe de ap and bun it..yes..and tek whe de phone fi a week....lol....but that was before him reach 6 foot.

Comment

Unnu no overdo it...I pass by late one evening with a 'local legal guide' and mi a tell yu Rui couldn't come close....plus BM coffee after...

Comment

Where in New York I should not go?

Comment

I heard that some of these Taxi are owned by Police, yuh lucky the Law did not stop you instead.

Comment

Can I get a Nite there?

Wait, allyu nuh have dem food nuh deh ah T&T?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                              If my son tek any autograph from somebody name "Popcaan"...mi tek whe de ap and bun it..yes..and tek whe de phone fi a week....lol....but that was before him reach 6 foot.

Woiee mi belly
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X