X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets behind St Lucia’s tourism boom

By Andre Bagoo Thursday, March 1 2012

click on pic to zoom in

THE GLOBAL economic downturn has affected the tourism industry the world over. Ask anyone in Tobago where hoteliers struggle to fill rooms, restaurant business is relatively slow and generally things seem stagnant.

Yet, currently, St Lucia’s tourism industry is booming. Arrivals for 2010 were at record levels. There were 305, 973 visitors in that year, almost three times the total population. The levels are expected by analysts at the St Lucia Tourism Board to increase by at least two percent in 2011 when the final figures come in.

These numbers are all the more impressive given what some St Lucians regard as record levels of crime on the island. While there have been more murders in recent times, tourists, including many who return to St Lucia often, do not appear to be daunted.

So what is behind the St Lucia success story? St Lucia’s Director of Tourism Louis Lewis gave Business Day some hints.

“I am happy to say that this boom is as a result of marketing efforts in the past which are bearing fruit,” Louis said this month. In particular, St Lucia has done a lot of research into where tourists come from and has tailored its marketing strategy to suit.

“We do a lot of geo-targeting,” he explained. “We focus on the major regions.” Advertisements about St Lucia can be spotted all over the world.

Additionally, he said, another key component has been the negotiation of airlifts from these specific regions.

“A great deal of effort has been put into negotiating airlifts,” he said.

One example has been the launch of a direct flight from Trinidad to St Lucia. That service, which was launched in the middle of the Carnival season, is already off to a bumpy start, registering low numbers of passengers on flights, notwithstanding promotions.

In addition to the Carnival season dominating Trinidadian’s interests, perhaps one reason why the service is off to a bumpy start is the trend of relatively fewer regional tourists opting to go to St Lucia. That trend is in stark contrast to the booming arrivals originating elsewhere.

Arrivals from the USA, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany are up. It’s not hard to understand why. The tourists flock to the beautiful beach fronts, the stunning Pitons, the engaging and lively markets, and the fine dining. Yet, for some reason, arrivals from the Caribbean are notably down.

St Lucia takes tourism seriously. It is its main income earner. St Lucia has a small population of 174,000 or roughly one-tenth of Trinidad and Tobago’s. It’s GDP per capita is around US$6,560 per capita (Trinidad and Tobago’s is US$15,380).

Another secret of the St Lucia tourism trade is the focus on service.

“I think the St Lucian people have a naturally warm disposition,” he said. “But there is also a lot of emphasis on the human aspect of things. A lot of effort is placed into training.”

This attention to detail shows: staff all over the island are warm, courteous and have good knowledge of all the island has to offer.

“A lot of training happens at the level of the establishment. We at the Tourism Board also collaborate with the local hotels and industry partners,” Lewis said. “Even we here at the Tourism Board, from the receptionist right up, have been trained.”

Additionally, there is a high level of quality control with attention paid to evaluating facilities and incorporating recommendations based on feedback.

“There is a continuous survey and the results of that are fed back into the product,” Lewis said.

With all this done to bolster St Lucia’s tourism industry it’s no wonder the island keeps attracting visitors.

Note: Newsday senior journalist Andre Bagoo was recently in St Lucia on special assignment. During his time there, Bagoo filed a series of exclusive stories on issues relating to that island.

I recall hearing from a former German colleague who visited. She did not like it as she thought the people unfriendly and even perhaps didnt like Europeans...Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      I recall hearing from a former German colleague who visited. She did not like it as she thought the people unfriendly and even perhaps didnt like Europeans...Go figure.
      She did want one Rent-A-Dread??
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Well the numbers say it all...St. Lucians are good people except those idiot cricket administrators. They really don't represent the majority - guess like Dudus don't represent all Jamaicans...or Vybz...

Comment

Yuh use one sumady fi influence yuh opinion bout dem?
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

have you real the reviews to some hotels. Last night I was reading the Rui's review online and it was night and day for the guest who were there in the same time period who wrote the review.

It seems that they are very motivated and is making things happening by getting more seats to their country and training people. Good to see. People thing a joke business and think "we have the prettiest place and earth so them must come".
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No she was married and went with her Dutch husband. This was more than 10 years ago.

I was quite surprised by her response and she said she regretted not choosing jamaica.

She mussi di meet Hillaire!

Comment

I was sharing an anecdote.

You have made a huge assumption there... I do have a few Lucian friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                  She did want one Rent-A-Dread??

& some splifff
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                  X