X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave 'lotto scammers' - resident tells Bunting

Leave 'lotto scammers' - resident tells Bunting

Published: Wednesday | February 29, 2012 0 Comments

WESTERN BUREAU: WHILE WELCOMING the regular curfews which have now become a way of life in the western city, at least one resident of Montego Bay wants National Security Minister Peter Bunting to leave 'lotto scammers' out of the equation.
    Minister Bunting made the startling disclosure while addressing last Friday's re-opening of the newly refurbished Barnett Street Police Station in Montego Bay, which was repaired at a cost of J$7 million after being extensively damaged by fire.
    "A lady person said to me, 'I support the curfews, minister, and I like what you are doing, but don't trouble the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]lotto[/COLOR][/COLOR] scammers because a lot of people benefiting from that'," Bunting recounted.
    "It brought home to me that the average person may not be making the connection between the activities of the scammers and the violent crimes that we see in Montego Bay."
    The minister also used the opportunity to point out that 40 per cent of the murders in St James are related to the operations of the lotto scam, something he noted that residents must consider when advocating that 'scammers' should be allowed to carry on with the illicit scheme.
    Police Commissioner Owen Ellington, who was also present at the reopening ceremony, was quite strident in declaring that the lotto scam should not be allowed to continue. He also noted that those who are supportive of the lotto scam could be in for a rude awakening.
    "We are trying to make it (being a lotto scammer) unfashionable," Commissioner Ellington said. "They (scammers) use these monies to create a false economic environment in terms of the price of houses and commodities in Montego Bay, making it way out of market reality."
    Two weekends ago, the St James police had one of its better days against lotto scammers, as some 30 persons were arrested and vehicles valued in excess of $J450 million seized in operations carried out in Rose Heights and Rhyne Park.
    "They promote an antisocial behaviour which attracts youngsters into a life of criminality and dishonesty, so it is something that has to be dealt with and done decisively," the commissioner said. "There can be no tolerance to it. Jamaica is getting a very bad reputation abroad as a nation of scammers."
    sheena.gayle@gleanerjm.com
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

What's the lotto scamming?

Comment

Mi have fi go give you a quick call.

As a matter of fact, Congratulations to you and your family.

You have won 1 million US dollars in the lotto.

Before you can get the winnings you have to send me a small 5000. bucks.
      you can send it western union.

Congrats again.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Oh dat? I wld say show me the money!

Comment

Our people just don't get it. Let me stop before I start cussing pon de pepole dem site.

Comment

Dem nuh care how dem gettit...dem degenerate..

Comment

yeah but a some real serious man a run the cut and a nuff gangster a run Mobay with the thing.

Comment

Nuh same ting inna di ole Tivoli and other garrisons?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yup

Comment

Working...
                  X