Livity' Coke Beaten In Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livity' Coke Beaten In Prison

Two decades after his father, Lester Lloyd 'Jim Brown' Coke, mysteriously perished in a blaze in a prison cell, Leighton 'Livity' Coke, the brother of extradited drug lord Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, is claiming he was beaten almost lifeless by soldiers at the Horizon Adult Remand Centre on Spanish Town Road in Kingston last Tuesday.

In an exclusive interview, Dr Jephthah Ford told The Sunday Gleaner yesterday that Coke was almost killed in the incident.

"He only survived because he pretended to be dead," the doctor asserted.

Livity is charged with shooting with intent and illegal possession of firearm and has been in custody since July 2010.

It is being alleged that the charges stemmed from the unrest in west Kingston in May 2010.

The Crown is alleging that the accused Livity fired at police and soldiers when his brother, Dudus, was being sought by the police.

Now Ford believes Livity's beating is also a police matter.

"I am going to issue a police certificate in terms of his injuries because it is a police matter," said a strident Ford.

Ford pointed out that Livity told him that before the men started to beat him, they said they received orders to take him out because the People's National Party (PNP) was now in power. It is a claim that Ford, a former PNP caretaker, said is the furthest thing from the truth.

"We know that there is going to be an international outcry. We know that there is going to be social outcry. We know that the PNP has to make it clear that they had nothing to do with the alleged attempted murder.

"This story has a potential to do damage to the country; it does. The PNP has to make it absolutely clear that we did not give any instructions for Livity Coke to be killed," said a strident Ford.

violent incident

Yesterday, Lieutenant Colonel Sean Prendergast, commissioner of corrections, confirmed that there was a violent incident involving Livity at Horizon, but said the information he received labelled the inmate as the aggressor.

"From reports I have, he (Livity) initiated the confrontation with the soldiers and force had to be used to restrain him," the prison boss said.

Prendergast confirmed that Livity received "some lacerations that required stitches", but would not say where exactly on the anatomy he sustained the gashes.

"With any incident like this, Mr Coke is alleging that the soldiers injured him without any justification. The soldiers have a different account of the series of events," said Prendergast.

The prison boss denied that Livity was left to lie in his own blood after being beaten to a pulp by the soldiers. "That's not the case. He was taken to the sick bay. The doctor was already there treating other patients," he said.

Livity was being held at Security Post 11, which is manned by members of the military because it houses "high-risk inmates and remandees". Provisions under the Corrections Act allow the commissioner of corrections to classify persons as is necessary.

Not caught on camera

Security Post 11 has cameras at strategic locations to record the day-to-day activities. But there are blind spots that escape the lens of the security equipment. The incident involving Coke happened in one of these spots.

"Unfortunately, the confrontation occurred in the stairwell." the commissioner asserted.

He also revealed that the Ministry of National Security is investigating the matter and the public defender has visited the institution since the incident. He also said Livity has been interviewed by investigators from the Independent Commission of Investigations.

At the request of Livity's lawyers, sister and girlfriend, Ford said he visited with the accused gangster yesterday.

Detailing the injuries, Ford said: "At the left side of his head, he had three large lacerations. The first one - frontal - was four centimetres long, the second one was six centimetres long, and a more posterior one was eight centimetres long.

"He has a laceration to the back of his chest, on the left. It was eight centimetres long. He had multiple abrasions over the side of the ribs. He had multiple haematoma over the right side of his arm ... . His left knee was stiff, bruised, and there was blood in it."

Ford told The Sunday Gleaner that he will be briefing the prime minister, especially as there is fear that residents of Tivoli Gardens may become restive on account of the incident.

As much as I despised what he and his cronies were allegedly doing, this is wrong and should not be condoned or tolerated. Our police have no right to beat anybody. Many of them need beating themselves!

Why can't we just bring the man to trial backed up by a solid case?!? Next ting some judge let him off because dem beat di man to a pulp!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh renew yuh JFJ membahship...

Mutty dead now suh unnuh bettah tun it up..

Comment

A press release condemning the alleged acts of brutality is expected from the JFJ.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I thought the press release was the above post by Mo ??

Comment

When hearing this story a bredrin of mine said" you know how much duppy dat man mek?". It would seem those closest to the truth have a hard time forgiving. At least he is still alive can't say yhe same for many of his victims.

Comment

not condoning abuse by law enforcement... however, absent of the facts, you should not be so willing to take livity's account... his history suggests he could have been uncooperative and belligerent...

if soldiers wanted to harm him, they've had numerous opptys... i find it hard to believe that soldiers would just pick him out start beating him... it is more likely that he was being disrespectful, not realising that he no longer has the power...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

So, you don't believe the doctor's description of his injuries. Fine, that is your right.

And you say you don't condone abuse by law enforcement, yet...tell me, if the detainee is being disrespectful, what should be the punishment?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

All "bad man" a coward and fraida beating and croaking lizard!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I don't believe Livity and I do believe the JDF's account. I think Livity provked the incident. This guy is a typical coward Jamaican criminal and in keeping with that theme, a boldface liar. I am not going to get too exercised over his beating. He probably got a little less than he deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      So, you don't believe the doctor's description of his injuries. Fine, that is your right.

And you say you don't condone abuse by law enforcement, yet...tell me, if the detainee is being disrespectful, what should be the punishment?
                      i am not disputing the doctor's description of his injuries... did i say that... and yes in the affirmative, i do not condone abuse by law enforcement...

however, i am not discounting the lt. col. prendergast account that the detainee (livity) was the aggressor and had to be restrained... there is historical evidence to suggest that possibility...

depends on the level of disrespect, belligerence and cooperation (or lack of)... sometimes detainees will attack enforecment officers unprovoked and it sometimes requires up 6 men to restrain them... they usually end up being badly hurt and then claim abuse by law enforcement...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Not about to block road either. I don't know exactly what happened. But Jamaicans have to get it out of our heads that police can beat people, and that man can beat dem woman.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Human garbage like him likely has a lot of blood on his hands. With that said, mi would be shocked if JFJ issue a press release!
                            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
                              Two decades after his father, Lester Lloyd 'Jim Brown' Coke, mysteriously perished in a blaze in a prison cell, Leighton 'Livity' Coke, the brother of extradited drug lord Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, is claiming he was beaten almost lifeless by soldiers at the Horizon Adult Remand Centre on Spanish Town Road in Kingston last Tuesday.

In an exclusive interview, Dr Jephthah Ford told The Sunday Gleaner yesterday that Coke was almost killed in the incident.

"He only survived because he pretended to be dead," the doctor asserted.

Livity is charged with shooting with intent and illegal possession of firearm and has been in custody since July 2010.

It is being alleged that the charges stemmed from the unrest in west Kingston in May 2010.

The Crown is alleging that the accused Livity fired at police and soldiers when his brother, Dudus, was being sought by the police.

Now Ford believes Livity's beating is also a police matter.

"I am going to issue a police certificate in terms of his injuries because it is a police matter," said a strident Ford.

Ford pointed out that Livity told him that before the men started to beat him, they said they received orders to take him out because the People's National Party (PNP) was now in power. It is a claim that Ford, a former PNP caretaker, said is the furthest thing from the truth.

"We know that there is going to be an international outcry. We know that there is going to be social outcry. We know that the PNP has to make it clear that they had nothing to do with the alleged attempted murder.

"This story has a potential to do damage to the country; it does. The PNP has to make it absolutely clear that we did not give any instructions for Livity Coke to be killed," said a strident Ford.

violent incident

Yesterday, Lieutenant Colonel Sean Prendergast, commissioner of corrections, confirmed that there was a violent incident involving Livity at Horizon, but said the information he received labelled the inmate as the aggressor.

"From reports I have, he (Livity) initiated the confrontation with the soldiers and force had to be used to restrain him," the prison boss said.

Prendergast confirmed that Livity received "some lacerations that required stitches", but would not say where exactly on the anatomy he sustained the gashes.

"With any incident like this, Mr Coke is alleging that the soldiers injured him without any justification. The soldiers have a different account of the series of events," said Prendergast.

The prison boss denied that Livity was left to lie in his own blood after being beaten to a pulp by the soldiers. "That's not the case. He was taken to the sick bay. The doctor was already there treating other patients," he said.

Livity was being held at Security Post 11, which is manned by members of the military because it houses "high-risk inmates and remandees". Provisions under the Corrections Act allow the commissioner of corrections to classify persons as is necessary.

Not caught on camera

Security Post 11 has cameras at strategic locations to record the day-to-day activities. But there are blind spots that escape the lens of the security equipment. The incident involving Coke happened in one of these spots.

"Unfortunately, the confrontation occurred in the stairwell." the commissioner asserted.

He also revealed that the Ministry of National Security is investigating the matter and the public defender has visited the institution since the incident. He also said Livity has been interviewed by investigators from the Independent Commission of Investigations.

At the request of Livity's lawyers, sister and girlfriend, Ford said he visited with the accused gangster yesterday.

Detailing the injuries, Ford said: "At the left side of his head, he had three large lacerations. The first one - frontal - was four centimetres long, the second one was six centimetres long, and a more posterior one was eight centimetres long.

"He has a laceration to the back of his chest, on the left. It was eight centimetres long. He had multiple abrasions over the side of the ribs. He had multiple haematoma over the right side of his arm ... . His left knee was stiff, bruised, and there was blood in it."

Ford told The Sunday Gleaner that he will be briefing the prime minister, especially as there is fear that residents of Tivoli Gardens may become restive on account of the incident.
                              John Gotti was beated in prison after he dissed some black prisoners. At some point people have to realized that their power is no more. Anyhow it looks like the soldiers may have used too much force to control him.
                              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X