• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiya's son Soaring to New Heights

Flying high - J’can among top US fighter pilots
    US commanding officer praises J’can-born pilot
    BY INGRID BROWN Observer senior reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, February 23, 2012

JAMAICAN-born Diego McKnight has been designated one of the best-trained and most highly-skilled pilots in the world. McKnight, at 25 and at one time the only black person in his squadron, has not only attained the Lieutenant Junior Grade in record time, but is now among an elite group of some 400 persons who can operate the Navy's MH-60 Romeo multi-mission helicopter, the world's most-advanced anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare helicopter.
    "Aviation came pretty natural for me, and part of the reason for that is because I used to spend a great deal of time as a child playing flight simulator on video games," said McKnight with becoming humility, in an interview with the Observer

McKnight migrated to the US as a teenager, having set his heart, from then, on becoming a pilot in the US Navy. What he didn't know was just how quickly he would have scurried up the ladder of success; from a 17-year-old student at the Caribbean Aviation Centre at Kingston's Tinson Pen to a top naval pilot in the world's most powerful army in about eight years.

Proud father Leighton McKnight, a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers and one of the biggest names among Western Hemisphere Kiwanians, was beside himself when he received a glowing letter from commanding officer in the Department of the Navy, M C Thompson, informing him that his son had received the coveted designation as naval aviator.

"He is living my dream, so you can imagine the pride I feel," said the elder McKnight, noting that he had often spoken to his son about humility, integrity and being the best he could be.

In his letter, Thompson wrote: "This important event is the culmination of many months of intensive application on his (Diego's) part, which is required for the successful completion of the demanding academic, military and airborne curriculum. The syllabus is difficult and highly competitive. Additionally, one's ability to perform under conditions of extreme stress is carefully measured. Your son has fulfilled all requirements, his designation represents a personal achievement. We are proud to add his name to the illustrious list of naval aviators...

"To some, the 'Wings of Gold' is only an insignia worn by individuals who know how to fly. However, anyone knowledgeable of the demands and challenges of naval aviators would affirm that no greater understatement could exist. Naval aviators are the best-trained and most highly-skilled military pilots in the world...The responsibilities vested in the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard helicopter pilots have never been greater. They are true and vital members of our country's national defence," he said.

Diego McKnight said he developed a love for flying during his numerous trips on Air Jamaica every holiday to visit his father who remained in Jamaica.
    "I wanted to be a police officer while in high school, and I also started to think (that) I want to be a pilot; and I thought where would I get the best of both worlds — flying and still being able to help people — and I decided that would be the military," he related to the Observer.

His father wasted no time in enrolling him in the flight programme at the Caribbean Aviation Centre at Tinson Pen to begin ground school training. On leaving high school, McKnight completed another aviation programme at the Broward Community College in South Florida where he received his private and instrument rating. Next was his acceptance to the USA's top aeronautical university, Embry Riddle, from which he graduated in 2009 as a multi-rated pilot with a bachelor's degree in aviation.

During this time, he also joined the NAVY ROTC programme and was later commissioned as a naval officer on completion of his aviation degree. In 2010, he enrolled in the Navy flight school and had to start training almost from scratch, with special emphasis on survival training.

"Navy flight school is really tedious because of the amount of things you have to learn in a relatively short time," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1nElPJau6
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007
Working...
X