• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Column on Reggae Today

Jamaica, the land of reggae

ID: INTERACTIVE DIALOGUE
    David Mullings
    Sunday, February 19, 2012

MY column last week focused on Jamaica not being an island in the economic, political or cultural sense. I said that the country was not insular and had a major impact on the world; it was a brand, a destination and more.

Jamaica is a global brand that has influenced many things, notably music. This month is supposed to be Reggae Month in Jamaica, but it often seems to me that Jamaica has somehow lost its place as the home of reggae music.

The Bob Marley Museum in Kingston. It gets far more visitors from overseas than locals, despite the local rate offered.

The Grammy Awards nominate reggae albums that are not big sellers in Jamaica, local radio is far more preoccupied with dancehall, the biggest reggae festivals are in Europe, foreign reggae acts are capitalising even better on our sounds, and an entire generation of Jamaicans is possibly missing out on our reggae heritage because of all this.

Jamaica is synonymous with Marley (and now Bolt) and reggae music, yet we have barely scratched the surface of what that could be leveraged for. Our tourism has yet to really tap into reggae lovers worldwide and present them with numerous attractions to feed their desires to see where the music comes from and where the biggest stars were born or lived.

On the local side, the Bob Marley Museum in Kingston gets far more visitors from overseas than locals, despite the local rate offered. How many schools visit the Bob Marley Museum each year to expose our children to our heritage and the sound that our country gave to the world?

Most countries show off their local music or instruments and fiercely defend their heritage. We, however, have merely reduced our support for reggae music and the musicians that produce something that help put Jamaica on the world map.

It is my sincere hope that reggae music regains its rightful place in Jamaica as the leading musical export, because at this rate some other country will become the home of modern-day reggae. An entire generation now has very little appreciation for reggae music, where it came from and the impact it has had on the world.

We must ensure that we teach Jamaicans what they are supposed to be proud of and what we have contributed to the world so that they will have a better appreciation. I recently listened to a BBC Radio story on the violence in Syria and the reporter was riding in a taxi cab. Not so surprisingly, a Bob Marley song was playing in the background. This rebel music, our music, has consistently appeared in areas of strife, war and oppression. From the fall of the Berlin Wall to South Africa during Apartheid. From Tiananmen Square in China to Zimbabwe freedom fighters, reggae has been involved in all those critical junctures in history. Do we as Jamaicans really appreciate this music that we created and shared with the world? Do we really want to continue to be the land of reggae?
    Jamaica is not an island, it is a global brand, and reggae is part of that brand. We must embrace that wholeheartedly or risk no longer being the land of reggae.

David Mullings was the first Future Leaders representative for the USA on the Jamaican Diaspora Advisory Board. He can be found on Twitter

good to see you. Our music is in trouble, mostly because of drug use and criminial connection from some of our artists in both dancehall and reggae. Too many are dying young, can't get visa to promote their music and getting charged.

Some are dying too young while others getting mixup, even the ones who are preaching consiousness.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Some would argue it died because DJ music is now the norm instead of reggae.If you notice i didnt say dancehall because ska,reggae and DJ music were all played in the dancehall.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Well who impacted our music output more? Buju, Denroy, Luciano or Vibez?

All was in problem with the law and left a not so sweet taste on it.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Foolishness our musicians from its foundation always had run ins. with the law our problem is more mental where we don't appreciate good music,we don't know how to unless its forgein a testament to that is the jazz festival in Jamaica isn't ska worthy of such a recognition?To blame deviant musicians is ridiculous if they were not deviant the quality being produced would still be lacking proof of this is the slackness of the 80 to 90 we loved yellow ,shabba who were not in trouble with the law. but the quality compared to horns/band reggae of the 80s/90s was crap .
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            How many schools visit the Bob Marley Museum each year to expose our children to our heritage and the sound that our country gave to the world?
            Egads! Does he really expect our schools to bring our children to the museum of a natty head rastaman?!?!

We haven't even been able to study the life of that charcoal black troublemaker, Marcus Garvey!

What next - A tour of Gaza?

Who noticed that Damian Marley's day at UWI was not nearly as popular as that of Vybz Kartel, who must have broken all sorts of records for that sort of appearance on campus? Students trickled in slowly and by the end of the session, they may have had a full house for the talented Marley.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stephen is the real talented Marley. LoL

Comment

Working...
              X