US responds to Buju Banton’s appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US responds to Buju Banton’s appeal

MIAMI, USA (AP) — The US government says plenty of evidence supports a federal jury’s conviction of Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton on cocaine conspiracy and trafficking charges.
    Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, is appealing the February 2011 conviction. Defence attorney David O Markus says his client was relentlessly pursued by a government informant, resulting in improper entrapment.
    Federal prosecutors filed their response Friday in Atlanta’s federal appeals court.
    Prosecutors say Banton’s words and actions, in recorded conversations and a videotaped meeting in a Florida warehouse where Banton tasted some cocaine, revealed the singer “eagerly brokered” a drug deal between a friend and undercover government agents.
    Banton is serving a 10-year prison sentence.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1mHEemYPz

this only a response... i dont think it is a denial of appeal... i suspect this isn't the end...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

buju lawyer should still be able to file a response to the govt response... maybe a trained lawyer can explain to us... pls and tonks... i still believe this is not the end...

Comment

The first thing Buju should do is hire a different lawyer for the appeal, as Markus will likely not fault his handling of the case.
        The Buju conviction has left a bitter taste in my mouth;the decision to participate in a drug transaction probably came from that viewing that Buju and company were duped in to attending, this is where Mac and Ian saw drugs they could buy, and later tried....
        You have the right to chnage your mind, and that makes you not guilty.

Comment

hail up rocky... long time mi nuh si yuh pon de forum... buju case really touch mi nerve... man get incited fi commit crime and people nuh si nutten wrong wid de scenario...

Comment

Hail up baddaz!

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
              hail up rocky... long time mi nuh si yuh pon de forum... buju case really touch mi nerve... man get incited fi commit crime and people nuh si nutten wrong wid de scenario...

It's entrapment but actions of the Feds hints that they may have other information and wanted to take him off the streets.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Sure it was entrapment and you know the jury never buy it. When him decide fi taste the coke, it dun.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I think it's simple as that.

Irks me how these 'talented' guys end up spending a good chunk of their money on legal fees....

My mother used to admonish " show me your company...and i'll tell you who you are.."
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I get that impression as well.

Its hard to believe that they just picked him randomly on an airplane and got him to talk about all his diamond smuggling and illegal activities. That would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I still do not know how anybody with an ounce of sense could meet someone for the first time in an airport and start telling them all that Buju did. When me inna airport me nuh even like talk to people me know to rhatid, and me nuh involve inna nutten illegal.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      When me inna airport me nuh even like talk to people me know to rhatid, and me nuh involve inna nutten illegal.

Yuh right about that. I don't even want them sitting near me.
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                      X