RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engineers versus management - Who should have the final say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineers versus management - Who should have the final say?

Roger and other engineers tried to stop the launch the night before the launch but NASA protested and pressured the contractor to withdraw the objection. His superiors voted to give NASA the all clear to launch. The only surprize was that Challenger made it off the ground. Roger said the engineers expected it to blow up on the launch pad.
    Roger Boisjoly, who tried to stop the space shuttle Challenger launch, has died

By Claudine Zap
    Claudine Zap

By Claudine Zap | The Upshot – 17 hrs ago

For anyone of TV viewing age in January 1986, the image of the space shuttle Challenger exploding over the Atlantic just moments after liftoff is an indelible one. And as many have long known, the crash could have been avoided had the worries of some engineers— especially Roger Boisjoly —been heeded. Boisjoly, who tried to blow the whistle on the faulty rocket-booster seals that ultimately caused the shuttle to break up in mid-launch, died in Utah on January 6 at the age of 73.
    Boisjoly, a rocket maker for NASA contractor Morton Thiokol, became convinced months before the Challenger disaster that the rocket boosters were faulty. In a memo to his employer he said that they could cause "a catastrophe of the highest order -- loss of human life."

Boisjoly and four other colleagues warned that elastic seals on the boosters tended to stiffen and unseal in cold weather--a potential hazard even at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. And on the morning of the launch, the weather was cold.
    In an interview with NPR three weeks after the incident, Boisjoly recounted that he recommended against the shuttle launch when subfreezing temperatures were expected. "We all knew if the seals failed, the shuttle would blow up," he said.
    The nation was shocked by the explosion, which involved astronaut Christa McAuliffe, the first "Teacher in Space." All seven astronauts were killed when the shuttle fell apart 73 seconds after liftoff. A presidential commission determined that hot gases leaked through a joint of a booster rocket after takeoff and led to an explosion of rocket fuel.
    The engineer told the Associated Press back in 1988, "When I realized what was happening, it absolutely destroyed me. It destroyed my career, my life, everything else."Still, though his whistleblowing was ignored, Boisjoly received awards from the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers for his efforts
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

why management hire engineers if dem not going to tek dem advice?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      The contract for producing the booters was up for renewal and the contractor decided to suck up to NASA during the conference call the night before the launch.

The person who broke the voting tie was the Vice President of Engineering who was both engineer and senior management. His management collegues told him to take off his engineering hat and put on his management hat.
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        It is a JAMAICA ting!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

see it everyday. And worst when the managers have a little bit of knowledge, enough to be dangerous.

Nuff a them think technology work like Human.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Engineers can not have the final call when it comes to potential social impacts. When dem did a build the interstate highways in the USA, engineers frequently looked to build roads on the most direct routes, and many of those routes destroyed black neighborhoods. Instead of having an additional travel time of 15 minutes, they ripped up neighborhoods and evicted people based on "sound" engineering decisions.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

is it only? i thought we were talking about NASA and the Challenger disaster?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X