• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• projects like these need support...

FAST & FUMELESS

BRIAN BONITTO Associate Editor Auto and Entertainment
    Friday, January 27, 2012

KNOWN in Montego Bay as a top entertainer and businessman. Paul Hurlock is quietly carving out a name for himself as an inventor. But, he insists music is his first love.

"I'm a musician by profession... I have performed extensively on the North Coast at such hotel properties as Sandals, SuperClubs, Half Moon, the Hilton, as well in the United States and Europe," he said.

However, the owner of Day-O Plantation Restaurant and Bar in Fairfield, Montego Bay, said he has always been intrigued by futuristic transportation.

"This is something I always wanted to be involved in. So, in 1996 I built the Electrogen -- a battery-operated car," he said. "It took me two years to build."

Hurlock said he did not have any training in this area of expertise, but his passion was fuelled by his curiosity by reading.

According to him, the rocket-shaped, right-hand drive, four-seater, sea gull-winged door vehicle is powered by 12 lithium batteries that can be charged either by the sun or electricity.

"The sun charges three batteries and when the vehicle is started, those three are powered to charge the rest," Hurlock told Auto.
    The inventor said anywhere the outdoor the vehicle is parked, the batteries are being charged.

"So, it's an on-board charging system," he said.
    Hurlock said since the vehicle has no engine and it does not give off toxic fumes, it is very environmentally friendly.
    "This is cutting edge technology," he said.

The musician, who has produced three albums, said the Electrogen can reach a speed of up to 100 miles per hour.
    Another feature of the Hurlock's Electrogen is that it can also be used independently as a standby generator.

"It can generate electricity to power a house or complex -- whether using 220 volts or 110 volts. I have used it to power two buildings simultaneously. One building is 5,000 sq ft while the other is 7,000 sq ft. And, I did this for two or three days," he said. "And, I did this a few times."

"It's an amazing car," he continued.
    Hurlock said the material used in constructing the body was sourced locally and it took a team of three to four persons to help him create his dream car.

"Steel sheet metal was used for the body," he said.
    The 'dream team' comprised a body man, electrician and, according to him, "some who helped to balance the vehicle".
    "Jamaica is filled with talented people," he said.

The native Montegonian said he used his personal resources to bring the car to life and he is of the view that there were other persons locally who have great ideas that will never see the light of day because it is generally extremely difficult to get funding for projects of such nature.
    "If I didn't have the money to make this vehicle, it would still be an idea," he said.

At the time, the cost of making the vehicle was US$15,000.
    Hurlock said while his creation is roadworthy, it still needs some 'fine tuning' on the inside to make it comparable with the best of the imports on the local market. He said also that he has not sought to licence or insure the Electrogen, but uses it as a special attraction for his property.
    He, however, has high hopes for his creation.

"I hope to, one day, make more of this car for sale... perhaps 30 or 40, but they would be part of a limited edition," he said.

"That's not the only futuristic vehicle that I've made. I just completed the design of a flying machine. The engine and the body are ready... I just have to put them together," Hurlock noted.

'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

High Grade is a hell of a ting... all di fumes a generate innah him bedroom..

Comment

it is only a concept car... what happen, nuh engineers nuh deh a uwi or utech fi collaborate wid...

Comment

the high grade is di problem.. Babylon will lock it dung..

Comment

Why?

It not going anywhere.

Car in Jamaica?...complete non-starter.

Comment

why such a myopic outlook... car have many components and concepts... de energy generation could be developed, patented and de technology licenced and exported... if analysed and found viable, some parts could be manufactured elsewhere and the cars assembled in jamaica...

airbags were developed by ford and was in german cars long before they found their way into american cars... think positive, my friend...

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
              FAST & FUMELESS

BRIAN BONITTO Associate Editor Auto and Entertainment
              Friday, January 27, 2012

KNOWN in Montego Bay as a top entertainer and businessman. Paul Hurlock is quietly carving out a name for himself as an inventor. But, he insists music is his first love.

"I'm a musician by profession... I have performed extensively on the North Coast at such hotel properties as Sandals, SuperClubs, Half Moon, the Hilton, as well in the United States and Europe," he said.

However, the owner of Day-O Plantation Restaurant and Bar in Fairfield, Montego Bay, said he has always been intrigued by futuristic transportation.

"This is something I always wanted to be involved in. So, in 1996 I built the Electrogen -- a battery-operated car," he said. "It took me two years to build."

Hurlock said he did not have any training in this area of expertise, but his passion was fuelled by his curiosity by reading.

According to him, the rocket-shaped, right-hand drive, four-seater, sea gull-winged door vehicle is powered by 12 lithium batteries that can be charged either by the sun or electricity.

"The sun charges three batteries and when the vehicle is started, those three are powered to charge the rest," Hurlock told Auto.
              The inventor said anywhere the outdoor the vehicle is parked, the batteries are being charged.

"So, it's an on-board charging system," he said.
              Hurlock said since the vehicle has no engine and it does not give off toxic fumes, it is very environmentally friendly.
              "This is cutting edge technology," he said.

The musician, who has produced three albums, said the Electrogen can reach a speed of up to 100 miles per hour.
              Another feature of the Hurlock's Electrogen is that it can also be used independently as a standby generator.

"It can generate electricity to power a house or complex -- whether using 220 volts or 110 volts. I have used it to power two buildings simultaneously. One building is 5,000 sq ft while the other is 7,000 sq ft. And, I did this for two or three days," he said. "And, I did this a few times."

"It's an amazing car," he continued.
              Hurlock said the material used in constructing the body was sourced locally and it took a team of three to four persons to help him create his dream car.

"Steel sheet metal was used for the body," he said.
              The 'dream team' comprised a body man, electrician and, according to him, "some who helped to balance the vehicle".
              "Jamaica is filled with talented people," he said.

The native Montegonian said he used his personal resources to bring the car to life and he is of the view that there were other persons locally who have great ideas that will never see the light of day because it is generally extremely difficult to get funding for projects of such nature.
              "If I didn't have the money to make this vehicle, it would still be an idea," he said.

At the time, the cost of making the vehicle was US$15,000.
              Hurlock said while his creation is roadworthy, it still needs some 'fine tuning' on the inside to make it comparable with the best of the imports on the local market. He said also that he has not sought to licence or insure the Electrogen, but uses it as a special attraction for his property.
              He, however, has high hopes for his creation.

"I hope to, one day, make more of this car for sale... perhaps 30 or 40, but they would be part of a limited edition," he said.

"That's not the only futuristic vehicle that I've made. I just completed the design of a flying machine. The engine and the body are ready... I just have to put them together," Hurlock noted.

I agree.... who knows, the guy could be an automotive genius?

Yard Wizzy tuh di Werl!!
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                Why?

It not going anywhere.

Car in Jamaica?...complete non-starter.
                It's not about "car in Jamaica"... it's whether there's a marketable innovation here or not. Engineers & Marketers would have to determine that. If there is it probably wouldn't be built in or even for Jamaica. Think Global...Act local

The guy is to be commended...and his ideas explored.

Do we want an Innovation Economy or not? If we do we should not pre-judge or disregard those who try a ting.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

"a flying machine..."

cyaan wait if dat one..

LOOK OUT BELOW !!

Comment

Yuh read the article?

Where is the innovation?

It seems like assembly from imported parts. The key is the solar energy power plant, the car aspect of it can be safely ignored. Is the power plant tweaked in any way that could be patented? The article does not suggest that.

My point is, I prefer a focus on areas where we have comparative advantage. MUCH lower hanging fruit.

Comment

The article suggested that he BOUGHT it, not developed it.

Dat mi ah talk bout.

If he developed it, then focussing on "car" is still a mistake. Plus the article would be misleading in highlighting the wrong aspect.

Comment

All he needs is some investors fi throw some money into it. $15,000 seems like chump change though, and the warranty of the battery? Hopefully it would give you more than two years, much like the life of a cell phone & laptop rechargeable battery.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I agree with you Baddaz , the negativity is ridiculous ,this guy should be applauded and paraded. A car that can provide energy.
                          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I give up.

Unno really clueless.

Unno think buying kit parts and assembling something is real innovation.

Steeuupps.

Is the same foolishness with the likkle computer yute that assembled a computer from imported kit part. Nuff man inna the newpaper was jumping up and down like seh di likkle boy was Bill Gates.

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              Yuh read the article?

Where is the innovation?

It seems like assembly from imported parts. The key is the solar energy power plant, the car aspect of it can be safely ignored. Is the power plant tweaked in any way that could be patented? The article does not suggest that.

My point is, I prefer a focus on areas where we have comparative advantage. MUCH lower hanging fruit.
                              I cannot say from the article whether there's any patent-able innovation here or not. Maybe there isn't...but it doesn't stop with that apparent negative

My larger point is that guys who "try ah ting" should be supported and guided if we wish to create a "culture of innovation" in Jamaica... not dismissed out of hand imho.

We could for example, get a UTech or NCU team, now equipped with cutting edge Siemens CAD & Computer Aided Engineering and other Product LifeCycle Management software tools.. to give the project some evaluation and tech support.

By modeling the vehicle and all its sub-assemblies they will give the guy a very deep 360 degree picture of his creation... this would foster application of more innovative ideation, enable an easier, cheaper & faster path to product correction and upgrade...and also enable bench-marking against best practices in the industry.

All the guy needs for a patent-able invention is a new design on a sub-assembly...he doesn't even have to create a new part.

We need to think outside the box... just as MVP did for track...no?
                              Last edited by Don1; January 30, 2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X