X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny with a political explanation - Give us the old Danny

Ministry permission unnecessary to use X5 in Customs fleet - Danville

Published: Friday | January 27, 2012 5 Comments

Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter A NEW twist has developed in the claims and counterclaims regarding the seized BMW X5 which former Jamaica Customs boss Danville Walker said he used while at that state agency.
    Financial Secretary Dr Wesley Hughes told The Gleaner yesterday that the Ministry of Finance did not give authorisation for the high-end [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]vehicle[/COLOR][/COLOR] to be used by Walker.
    Hughes was responding to Gleaner enquiries as to whether the ministry had granted permission to the former Customs chief to use the vehicle in question.
    Walker told The Gleaner earlier yesterday that he had used the BMW X5, at times, for security reasons and special assignments, as well as when his 2007 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Toyota [COLOR=blue !important]Land [/COLOR][COLOR=blue !important]Cruiser[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Prado developed [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]engine [COLOR=blue !important]problems[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].
    Seeking to clarify the matter, the former Customs boss said the Ministry of Finance had given written permission for a fleet of vehicles seized by Customs to be used by the department.
    Responding to the auditor general's report, Walker said the BMW X5 was not assigned to him.
    "The vehicle was not assigned to me. It was assigned to the fleet," he said.
    "I don't know that they (Ministry of Finance) would have to give me permission to use a vehicle in the fleet if something is wrong with [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]my [COLOR=blue !important]vehicle[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]," he contended.
    Auditor General Pamela Monroe Ellis had pointed out that the ministry granted approval for five vehicles seized by Customs to be used as fleet vehicles by the Contraband Enforcement Team.
    However, she noted in her annual report to Parliament that "one of the vehicles, a BMW X5, was subsequently assigned to a former employee, while the 2007 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Toyota [COLOR=blue !important]Land[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Cruiser Prado formerly assigned to him was placed in the department's fleet".
    Not authorised
    Walker has subsequently admitted that he had used the BMW X5 while he was the Customs head.
    Monroe Ellis, in her report, stated that assignment of the vehicle to the former high-ranking employee was not authorised by the finance ministry and "may be deemed a conflict of interest".
    Walker told The Gleaner yesterday that when Customs seized vehicles, the Ministry of Finance had to grant permission to the department if it wanted to use them.
    He stressed that the vehicle was not assigned to him, adding that "using the vehicle is different from assigning the vehicle to me".
    edmond.campbell@gleanerjm.com

The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Danville Walker - what a loser!

Compare Danny's actions to the Contractor General's. When Greg Christie returned to Jamaica as a returning resident, the authorities wanted to give him a bligh for his motor vehicle. Christie insisted that they follow the rules for a vehicle of that age, because not all vehicles of returning residents would enter without duty.

Danville Walker?!? Reputation busted!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Organize a bligh for me nuh...

Comment

when yuh hear seh innocent hard working deestant man shot dead by two men on a motorcycle... a tings like wha danville walker duh cause people fi put out hit pon dem... danville walker is a grimey scumbag... when the owner of de x5 si de man who block him from getting him big x5 a drive him vehicle, what is he to think... gunshot...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I hope you are not advocating...no! Of course you aren't!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem not going to charge you for your new Q7.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

him a laborite??? lol... no, of course not... butt him but nuh kill him...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
              X