Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willi: Hope for Sligoville stadium

Hope for Sligoville stadium

By CONRAD HAMILTON Sunday Observer senior reporter hamiltonc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, January 15, 2012

MEMBER of Parliament for East Central St Catherine and minister with responsibility for Sports, Natalie Neita Headley plans to determine whether or not dormitory facilities can be added to the underutilised Sligoville mini stadium in her constituency.

The facility was completed in 2006 as a gift from the government of China.
    A section of the under-utilised Sligoville stadium (Photo: Joseph Wellington)
    NATALIE NEITA HEADLEY... if we can put dormitories in that stadium it would be a perfect training facility

A section of the under-utilised Sligoville stadium (Photo: Joseph Wellington)

#slideshowtoggler { FILTER: none! important; ZOOM: normal! important}#slideshowtoggler A { FILTER: none! important; ZOOM: normal! important}#slideshowtoggler IMG { FILTER: none! important; ZOOM: normal! important}
    1/2

Despite harsh criticisms, then Member of Parliament for the constituency KD Knight, who was instrumental in deciding where the mini stadium should be built, proceeded with plans to construct the facility on state owned lands in the sleepy Sligoville community.
    Knight tried to fend off criticisms from sceptics who predicted that the stadium would become a 'white elephant', meaning something that is rarely used.
    Nearly six years later, the stadium, though used by residents of the community for various sporting and entertainment events, remains underutilised.
    The stadium has a cricket field, a separate football field with running track, as well as basketball, netball and volleyball courts, all with seating facilities. A police station and post office are also located there.
    Neita Headley rejected the claim that the facility is a 'white elehant' and pointed to her involvement in efforts to get sporting associations to utilise it.
    While achieving some success, she said that the absence of sleeping facilities is preventing major sporting associations, such as the Jamaica Football Association and the Jamaica Netball Association from using the venue as a training facility.
    "Its not incorporated into any structured programme. I use it six months out of the year for a sports programme that we run in the constituency between netball, football and cricket, but it could be far more utilised and I believe it's one of those that will have to be placed under the same structures as the Trelawny multi purpose stadium and be given some wider usage.
    "I have a glorious opportunity now to ensure that that beautiful stadium is utilised. If we can put dormitories in that stadium it would be a perfect training facility. I am certainly looking to see through which method it could be done," she said.
    The Member of Parliament also said that the absence of the dormitories has also impacted on efforts by the University of Technology (UTech) to use the stadium as a venue for its sports programmes.
    Meanwhile, Neita Headley believes that other factors which impact on the suitability of the mini stadium were being addressed. These include the state of the roads leading to Sligoville as well as the chronic shortage of water during certain periods.
    Regarding the roads, Neita Headley told the Sunday Observer that she has informed members of her administration that the repairs to the Sligoville road should be a priority. The Member of Parliament lobbied unsuccessfully over the past two years to get the Bruce Golding Jamaica Labour Party administration to effect repairs to the roadway which sometimes serves as an alternative route to the Bog Walk Gorge whenever the Rio Cobre river is in spate.
    Despite numerous media appearances and roadblocks erected by residents and taxi operators the roads leading to Sligoville from Spanish Town, Kingston or Bog Walk remain in poor condition.
    The second term parliamentarian is also reporting that the stadium itself, as well as residents of Sligoville, should shortly begin to benefit from an improved water supply.
    "The pumps that are currently there need repair and the Chinese have now signed a contract with us to put in eight new pumps and to upgrade the water supply for Sligoville," she said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1jYMvDk1q
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Oh, there is hope for the underused Chinese built KD Knight political stadium. Lets hope the comrades come up with a viable plan for its use.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

It IS a white elephant, but with the changes she suggest, it will be a winner.

If she follows thru, we will have a utilizable assets and she will deserve applause. I would have to promote her fro Praetorian to full Tal Shi'Ar status.

Comment

Sorry for all the typos:

It IS a white elephant, but with the changes she suggests, it can/will be a winner.

If she follows thru, we will have a utilizable asset and she will deserve nuff applause. I would have to promote her from Praetorian to full Tal Shi'Ar status.

Comment

These facilities also need proper maintenance. Dorms would certainly help....good for training camps...but will also need other supporting facilities as well...food, kitchen, medical...

Comment

I wonder if Ms. Neita-Headley knows there is a huge underground water tank at the facility. Maybe the pumps for that tank are the ones she says needs repairing. The Chinese thought of most things when they built the facility. Excellent toilet facilities and space for kitchen and dining. I am sure adding medical would not be a big deal. And there is parking with lights around the back. Most of the light fixtures are either damaged or stolen by now though.

Time to step it up for this stadium!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Stadium is a disgrace. More goat pass through it than people. Some people just bad for Jamaica.

Comment

It looks like a piece of crap to me.

Comment

Thats because the goat them crap all over it.

Comment

or is throwing good money after bad.. anyway would be the dorm used for? What is her plan for the utilization of the stadium?

Comment

Them have zero plan for that stadium. People not even like drive go dem parts, much less fi use sporting facility.

Comment

I think they will use it for football and other sports training camps.

Comment

Tun it up !

Comment

The roads up there are awful...

Comment

Dats why is a camp...once yuh get there, yuh stuck.
                              No reprieve, no distraction

Soviet style Oly camp, Tovarish. LoL

Comment

Working...
                              X