RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitting the nail on the head...Bishop Thompson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting the nail on the head...Bishop Thompson...

'God Had A Hand In The Election'
    Published: Wednesday | January 11, 20120 Comments

Bishop Robert Thompson (left) offers a prayer before the start of the first Cabinet meeting at Jamaica House in St Andrew on Monday. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer
    By Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter
    PRIME MINISTER Portia Simpson Miller on Monday said she would be a servant leader and has pledged to approach her job with humility.

Simpson Miller was speaking at the start of her first Cabinet meeting at Jamaica House in St Andrew.

Anglican Bishop Dr Robert Thompson, who led a devotion, urged Cabinet members to embrace "a new dispensation that the people of Jamaica have reposed on you".

The clergyman focused a section of his message on John 13, 3-5, in which Jesus washed His disciples' feet.

Thompson told the Cabinet that he contemplated speaking from Ezekiel chapter 34 in the Bible, in which he said God called for the prophets to prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, "who, instead of caring for the people, were literally taking bread out of their mouths".

"God decided then, in that passage, that those shepherds should be replaced," he said.

"Although I strongly believe that God had a hand in the election, it would have been too pointing for me to have chosen that," the Bishop said.

In charging the Cabinet to be servant leaders, Thompson said the Government would fail if the members neglect to submit themselves to the people.

"The recurrent theme, and what has been said and written about the election, is that the people of Jamaica, the ordinary everyday folk, rejected a leadership style that is self-absorbed and arrogant," he said.

"What the electors rejected last December was the overbearing arrogance being repeatedly displayed by leaders. They said in no uncertain terms accountability, honesty and trust are not operational extracts, but are the ingredients of good governance," he added.

Simpson Miller's People's National Party (PNP) swept to victory over the Andrew Holness-led Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) in the December 29, 2011 general election. Her party won 42 seats in the House of Representatives to the JLP's 21.

Power to the people

The PNP built its campaign around people power, and Thompson urged the Cabinet not to lose focus of its significance.

"When, in your campaign statement, you speak about power to the people, it is indeed that the people have reposed in you, not so much as the repository of power, but one who would be the custodians of their power."

Thompson told them to embrace powerlessness and to be humble servants, saying: "Any good political leader must see him or herself as really awakening the latent power that is within all of our Jamaican people."

He argued: "The kind of leadership we need today is not characterised by power or control, but a leadership exercised in powerlessness and humility."

Thompson said: "The office of prime minister, as well as any minister of government, carries with it powers which, if you are not careful, can seduce you into thinking that power resides within your person."

Simpson Miller, who took notes during the exaltation, said Thompson had given to the Cabinet "words of wisdom".

"Thanks for reminding us about humility ... . Humility is the hallmark of greatness," the prime minister said.

daraine.luton@gleanerjm.com

look like is not Portia one luff poor people...

Comment

I know di gentleman.

By coincidence, i just scanned his card into my outlook contacts list.

Classy dude.

Comment

yes.. jamaican men full ah class.. ask Lee Kuan Yew.. dem dress well, dance well and speak well too..

Comment

wah gwaan chess mastah................how Bruce

Comment

at 7.2 Mil retirement him suppose fi ah smile..

Comment

tell him use some of that money and pay Judit Polgár and Roman Dzindzichashvili

mek them teach him how fi play chess LOL

Comment

mi feel seh is not Bruce dat need di lessons...

Comment

Suffragan bishop nuh must love suffarahs! LoL

Comment

opiate of the masses. needs masses dat need opiate !

Comment

Good words Bishop. Should be a good year for him, since him party back in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                        I know di gentleman.

By coincidence, i just scanned his card into my outlook contacts list.

Classy dude.
                        whe yuh use Cardscan??
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yeah, just got one at work. It sweet!

Comment

Didnt strike me as Tribalist though...

Comment

Mi never say him is a tribalist.
                              Mi say him party win, so it should be a good year for him. Just like how, if the next party win, is a good year for Richard Albert.

Comment

Working...
                              X