Not really Kim, Asafa Powell can't cross it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really Kim, Asafa Powell can't cross it

Powell don't have the nerves to do it and it requires a final without Bolt, Blake and Gay at their best.
    Powell has time to win major - Collins

Published: Monday | January 2, 2012 0 Comments

Powell

André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter St Kitts and Nevis sprinting legend, Kim Collins, believes that 29-year-old Jamaican speedster Asafa Powell still has a lot of time to win a major gold medal - at least seven years.
    Like fine wine, Collins seems to get better with age, turning back the clock and defying his doubters by speeding to a 100m bronze medal at the IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, last summer, before going on to claim silver at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico, a few months later.
    Collins, who during an emotional press conference in September 2009 announced his retirement, came back into the sport last season and found himself in the 100m final in Daegu, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]racing[/COLOR][/COLOR] with athletes up to 16 years younger.
    Powell, who held the 100m world record between 2005 and 2008 with times of 9.77 and 9.74, has two IAAF World Championships bronze medals to show for his ability.
    Time running out
    In the build-up to the Daegu World Championships Powell, who will be four months shy of his 30th birthday at this year's Olympic Games in London, England, admitted that he was running out of time to make the most of his potential.
    "I've been running well, posting some great times. I'm very confident, I don't have much time and I'm not going to waste my chance again," said Powell at the time.
    However, Collins, who won his only IAAF World Championships 100m gold medal at the age of 27 in Paris in 2003, says the MVP Track Club standout has a lot of time left on his clock - at least seven years.
    "Asafa can easily have at least seven more successful years in track and field," Collins proclaimed. "Asafa (Powell) and everyone else knows that he is fast. However, according to Asafa himself, he was more motivated to breaking the world record, which he did several times.
    "Asafa just needs to channel his speed and love for speed into winning medals, it's a simple transition. Heart beats talent, your heart literally beats, talent is just a word," he added.
    With the Olympics just a few months away, Collins, who admitted that he will be hard-pressed to repeat his Daegu exploits in London, warned that American Tyson Gay, who is returning from hip surgery, will pose a serious threat to Powell and his countrymen - Olympic [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]champion[/COLOR][/COLOR] and current world-record holder Usain Bolt and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]world [COLOR=blue !important]champion[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Yohan Blake.
    "I will always see Tyson Gay to be a threat to everyone," said Collins. "He has beaten Bolt, which most of us failed to do.
    "If Tyson is not the threat, there will be a new person to watch for, it's the way the sport is structured," he noted.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.
Working...
X