• Show
Clear All

• Heavy D's cause of death revealed

© AP/ Heavy D
    Heavy D's cause of death revealed
    Dec. 27, 2011, 1:41 PM EST
    By David Eckstein
    Zap2it

Legendary rapper Heavy D died from a pulmonary embolism resulting from deep leg vein thrombosis, according to the Los Angeles County coroner.

The coroner's office spokesman, Craig Harvey, told The Associated Press Tuesday that weight and a transcontinental jet flight were contributing factors.

The coroner's office, which classified the death as "natural," also said that Heavy D had heart disease, which may have contributed to his death.

Bing: Heavy D's music

The rapper, born Dwight Arrington Myers, was found unconscious in his Beverly Hills home on Nov. 8. He was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

Heavy D emerged on the scene in the late 1980s with his group Heavy D & the Boyz. His 1989 release "Big Tyme," which featured the songs "Somebody for Me" and "We Got Our Own Thang," was the year's top-selling soul record.

In addition to his 11 albums, he penned the themes for the FOX comedies "In Living Color" and "MADtv."

He was just 44 years old.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Serious thing that....also a genetic link with a clotting factor....my older brother was lucky last year....on vac and driving through midwest and in the mountains...

Comment

deep leg vein thrombosis
      i tell the travelling footballers to take that thing seriously, not to sit and watch movies for the entire 16 hour flight without taking breaks to move about and exercise.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and what happened?

Comment

...hiking...felt out of breath...thought it was altitude...but then later at 'sea level' felt leg cramps....his 16 yo son got it in a long drive from Philly to Florida a few years before...so he suspected....hospital showed pulmonary embolism...and blood clots in leg...hospitalized...blood thinners...have to do periodic checks on blood....ok now..

Comment

Working...
          X