• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A model for limiting the academic fallout of Buying Athletes

Before Recruiting in Ivy League, Applying Some Math

Tim Shaffer for the New York Times
    By BILL PENNINGTON
    Published: December 24, 2011

The Ivy League, which is experiencing an athletic revival with several teams ranked nationally, is a doggedly atypical N.C.A.A. Division I sports conference. For starters, the eight members are virtual heretics in the landscape of American big-time college sports for fielding about 280 teams in 35 sports without athletic scholarships. The league also restricts activities like off-season practices, discourages weekday games and prohibits postseason play in football.

But there is one thing the Ivy League does that truly sets it apart from its sporting brethren nationwide: it tracks and scrutinizes the finite, detailed academic credentials of every recruited athlete welcomed through the doors of the eight member institutions. And it has done so for more than 25 years — creating a dossier of grades and test scores for more than 40,000 student-athletes.

To accomplish this, the league came up with a measurement called the Academic Index, which gives all prospective high school recruits a number, roughly from 170 to 240, that summarizes their high school grade-point averages and scores on standardized tests like the SAT.

The index number of every admitted recruit is shared among the member institutions to guarantee that no vastly underqualified recruit has been admitted at a rival institution and to allow member universities to compare classwide index averages for athletes against similar averages for the overall student body.

Full Hundred
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/sp...h.html?_r=1&hp
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Don 1: You are not saying we immediately

discontinue taking gifted athletes into our schools who have poor academic qualifications as if fairly admitted all kids would/should suffer?

...damn that would by the tests we use perpetually condemn...at least until those who administer our 'education system' finally come up with a 'good education system'...the vast majority of our kids no quick way to receive quality education?

btw - I am with you that that good record keeping is necessary...but do not deny our kids access to any school their parents wish them to attend by the putting into place of those silly ISSA restrictions.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am saying we need data ...and then a credible plan based on that info which prioritizes educational needs...then secondarily sports

Beyond that I have no details to offer... I leave that to the pundits
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X