RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your thought Historian...X,TDowl, Exile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twi more so than Sawhili... but a heritage language learning program IMO would be a worthwhile endeavour. It would really put you in touch with your African roots. Unfortunately, these are (currently) pie in the sky types of goals given our economic resources.

I agree with your thoughts on "pushing" the dialect which is already firmly rooted as oral expression... to compete "globally" the knowledge of a number of languages, foremost English as you say, is critical. Patois does not fall into that category.
    Peter R

Comment

Thank you sir. This shouldn't even be an issue for debate (given the current economic conditions) but I guess we need to distract ourselves, instead of facng the harsh relities out there.

Comment

Aunty Lou works jus fi name one, jus like Maya Angelou. Mandarin nuh dialect dat as per patios. Nevah advocate fi it in school's at all. A membah when Bob use to speak it all ovah di worl, Jamaicans seem like seh dem ago have a stroke an seeit deh, first exponent ah di language internationally.

Comment

Wid pleasure sir, ah wouldah teach dem all di similar/comparative English constructs jus fi good measure. Patios/Patwah a simple example same meaning similar pronunciation different assemble. Ah suh it set.

Comment

Patois/Patwah...bluddy 'ell, they are homonyms!!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

So if dem speak Irish in day to day life why dem haffi learn it in school?

Comment

I don't think Miss Lou needs to be translated, isn't her work essentially in patois?... but the intellectuals might want to change the way it is written to create something only they can decipher...

These translations say of Maya Angelou would be nice to have but for whom? you think people will read more if it is in patois? as I see it these projects would be "one-off" like the Bible; but there is no reason why YOU couldn't take another one on if you think it's important...

Yes, Bob leggo patois to di werl, but at the end of the day who understood his message? other than Jamaicans listening. Did he care? While he might have created interest in patois I would say his music had already accomplished that.
                Peter R

Comment

not into di homo ting round 'ere. nuh true Lionpaw?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X