That word 'gyal'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That word 'gyal'

In 2003 while I was in Nicaragua in an area called Bluefields which has high population of Jamaican descendants, I was standing on a corner near to some men and this woman walked past and I heard one man asked "hey who dat gyal deh," and the tone of his query was definitely admiration

Except for the patois I did not make a big deal out of it, later i went to a church service and the pastor spoke the same way as the men on the street side and even asked "dat gyal over there" to do some thing or the other...all of us in the Jamaican delectation were shocked.

After asking some questions later we realised that this was how they talked, a woman is a gyal and a man can be a bwoy; they also used the term 'fenkeh, fenkeh', something I have only heard very old people use and not often either

This could be cultural as the Liverpool footballer claimed in his defense but I am glad none of them referred to any of the ladies in our delegation that way or some feathers would certainly be ruffled but we all had a good laugh about it after we realised what was going on.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Bottomline - Portia's use of the word in that context was perfectly acceptable. Maybe not to uptowners but who cares about them?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What about telling someone to push their "tampon head" up into their mother's nether regions...that perfectly acceptable? Or lemme guess...you have no idea what i am talking about

Comment

I am tempted to say some thing but maybe that would be a tad hypocritical but still Brickie......
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Talk di tings man...I can handle it...mi see certain man weh call demself moderator tip toe round the post...delete button must not be working

Comment

No boss I would ask you to tone it down a bit but after my outburst the other day I don't know if I am in a position to make any such request but when we start talking about female monthlies and sanitary napkins....it is too much for grown men...especially when we just go get me sorrell out of the fridge!!!!!!
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Who made the utterance? Yuh preaching to the choir here...yuh telling the wrong party to tone it down...the archives are my salvation...god bless the QUOTE button...it neutralize some bwoy DELETE button...

Comment

Big man, me know you know better than that and while the post might be attached to yours I am sure EVERYBODY can read it.

By the way your slipping, too much sorrell yesterday?..where is the "threaded post" retort you have grown to love so much?
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                X