Ganja Records To Be Removed Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ganja Records To Be Removed Next Year

Delroy Chuck in recent years, has been saying and doing all the right things.

Ganja Records To Be Removed Next Year
    Published: Friday December 23, 2011 | 1:27 pmwith audio | 0 Comments
    Monique Grange, Gleaner Writer

Justice Minister Delroy Chuck says starting early next year his ministry will be seeking to expunge the criminal records of all persons, who pleaded guilty and were convicted for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

In November, Chuck announced that cases relating to charges for the possession of less than half a pound of marijuana will be moved from the Resident Magistrate Court to the Petty Session Court.

He said this would help to reduce the backlog of cases now before the Resident Magistrate’s Court.

According to the Justice Minister, the cleaning of the criminal records will begin next year, as soon as the necessary legislative changes are completed.

Chuck said this will make it easier for persons to seek jobs which require the submission of criminal records.

He said Parliament will have to decide if the records will be cleaned for those persons who are habitual users of marijuana.

monique.grange@gleanerjm.con

BLACK LIVES MATTER

A small step in the right direction.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Well it is about time this KC alumnus made me proud.

Comment

I know some judges will be against this. There are some men who come to court up to 15 times for the same thing, smoking ganja in public places.

I wish there were more details coming on this as possession of ganja and smoking ganja are two different crimes and carry different penalties.

Possession of a spliff or a small amount will get you a $100 or $200 fine while smoking a spliff will get you a $3,000 fine.

I have seen where men who come to court frequently for even possession of a small amount (less than an ounce) are given 10-30 days sentences
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          I know some judges will be against this. There are some men who come to court up to 15 times for the same thing, smoking ganja in public places.

I wish there were more details coming on this as possession of ganja and smoking ganja are two different crimes and carry different penalties.

Possession of a spliff or a small amount will get you a $100 or $200 fine while smoking a spliff will get you a $3,000 fine.

I have seen where men who come to court frequently for even possession of a small amount (less than an ounce) are given 10-30 days sentences
          That's roughly US$1 or US$2 or US$30. The should make the fine JS10,000 minimum plus 1 day community service per ounce.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Jamaica can make so much money off quality of life fines , ganja , double parking ,parking on the sidewalk , the wrong side of the street , jay walking etc etc , we loose millions .

I only see the police enforcing traffic laws down town or half way tree or the centre of the cities of the particular town ? What about out of it ?
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
            X