Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia claims debate win, defends 'Jamaican queen'

Ruddy Mathison, Gleaner Writer

People's National Party (PNP) President Portia Simpson-Miller has said there is no doubt that she was the clear winner in Tuesday night's televised leadership debate against Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) Leader Andrew Holness.

She also said the criticisms of her stance on the replacement of the British Monarch with a Jamaican Queen is a distraction.

Speaking to thousands of jubilant party supporters in Falmouth, Trelawny on Tuesday, Simpson Miller in a wide-ranging address, hit back at her detractors, who have criticised her for the answer she gave regarding the British Westminster model of Government.

She said some time ago when another minister said he wanted a Jamaican Queen everyone was silent on the matter.

The assertion was made by former Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

“Let me allay the fears of all who want to take me on for something as simple as that, I think I have proven myself, just give me a break and let me carry on the nation’s business," the PNP president charged. "All who want to take me on I am black woman and I am strong,” she continued to thunderous shouts from the sea of orange-clad supporters in Water Square.

Turning to the issue of the agreement with the International Monetary Fund that was raised in the debate, Simpson Miller said there is nothing to renegotiate as the present deal is dead.

Meanwhile, the PNP president has expressed concern about a comment she said was made by JLP Leader Andrew Holness suggesting that the Government should not be the one to provide jobs but instead the private sector.

“Any sensible Government would want to put forward a programme to create employment for the people of Jamaica,” Simpson Miller said adding that jobs were never the central part of the JLP programme for the past four years.

She encouraged her supporters to vote for jobs when they go to the poll on Election Day because job creation is a central part of the PNP's economic programme.

Northern Trelawny candidate Patrick Atkinson criticised his JLP rival Dennis Meadows for wanting to represent the people of the constituency although he does not have a fixed address in the constituency.

Atkinson while displaying a letter purportedly from the Northern Trelawny returning officer, pointed out that Meadows' nomination papers are reflecting a post office box in St. James.

editorial@gleanerjm.com
Working...
X