'Reggae treated unfairly' Jazz gets $60M, Reggae $1.2M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Reggae treated unfairly' Jazz gets $60M, Reggae $1.2M

LACK of commitment by the government was a sore point brought out at the Jamaica Reggae Industry Association's (JARIA) press conference at the Bob Marley Museum in St Andrew yesterday. "If reggae is seen as a bright vibrant music, why is it being treated like this? This is our country," said Freddie McGregor at the function.
    McGregor was speaking against the background that the upcoming Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival had attracted $60 million in sponsorship from the Tourism Ministry/Jamaica Tourist Board while JARIA had got a paltry $1.2 million in support for the Reggae Month activities.
    "How can $1.2 million stage Reggae Month, is that possible?" asked McGregor. "That definitely cannot do it, so we are in big trouble here. The big question is whether we can actually keep Reggae Month."
    Michael 'Ibo' Cooper, chairman of the JARIA board, stressed that he was not "fighting against the Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival" as he supported all festivals but pointed to the serious disparity in support.
    "It's unbalanced," he said.
    According to Cooper he is disappointed in light of the fact that "a large amount of the money given to the jazz festival will be exported by those who pay taxes overseas."
    The press conference not only saw the airing of issues. There was the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between JARIA and the directors of Reggae Sun Ska Festival a company out of France. A move intended to build a better corporation between the Jamaica music industry and festivals in Europe.
    — Cecelia Campbell-Livingston

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...#ixzz1hDxQYcAP

Mi tired fi talk bout these things.This is mothing short of shameful. Not much has changed in Jamaica. Gwan Bartlet do you thing. The man spent more remodeling his office. The mentality is obscene.

Comment

I told you about the idiots from that JAZZ B.S they havent a clue , I asked why not a SKA festival...and I quote there is no market for it.

Forgein mind,reggae in the same boat , it goes back to the mentality of the 50/60s where ska was ghetto music and Jazz was uptown music , to the 70s to 80s..reggae/dancehall same thing...we are killing our instruementalist/musicians.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

What Jamaica needs is an annual Jazz and Heritage Festival. Of course the idiots they are want nothing more than to out-New Orleans New Orleans or Newport.

Comment

Correction What we need is a an annual Jamaican Ska and Hertage Festival. This would include ska, classical reggae, mento, traditional African drumming a la Count Ossie or Ras Michael style etc. That would become one of the most powerful music festivals in the world.

Comment

Thank You Sir...we could start it..I have a Venue.....

Comment

Bredda Sam and Bredda Royo from Mistic Revalation of Rastafari still play only a pity Jamaicans don't listen to them. Them tour Europe along with people like Bongo Herman and when Cedric Hymn Brooks was able.

A few people may fly down to see it but it won't get no support from Ja. See the Jolly boys now playing to big audience. How many major concert they have gotten in Jamaica?

Another thing is the musicans themselves is so segregated and can't work as an organization. As soon as they form an organization them start fighting about it.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass limited thinking. You would be amazed how many Europeans and others would come to Jamaica to listen to Jamaican Music. The problem is and has always been that the people running the tourism product have always looked at the local music product with derision. Most of the people of this ilk 'discovered' Bob Marley after he became globally popular. Like I said you need to know nothing more than in the year of our 50th anniversary your Minister of Tourism spent more on the remodelling of his office than Reggae month. Pathetic.

Comment

The Reggae industry is not organized...who would give money to those idiots?

Comment

Dancehall more organized?

Comment

Ahhh...just got real busy...sorry can't talk now...busy...busy...busy...

Comment

any festival needs a certain amount of local support to be successful and that is lacking to certain form of music in Ja.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

True to form.

Comment

yeah I know the Jolly boys from back in the days. Bro Sam Clayton from mystic I worked and reasoned with. He has introduced me to a lot of musicians of that era and most can't even get a gig in Ja but have regular tours and play big festivals in Europe on a yearly basis.

Comment

Have to agree with you Bricky. Totally disorganized, and mostly a set of damn idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X