• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLP supporter murdered; Vaz says he is willing to cancel cam

JLP supporter murdered; Vaz says he is willing to cancel campaigning
    Jamaica Observer
    Monday, December 19, 2011

DARYL Vaz last night said he was prepared to end campaigning as a safety measure for his West Portland constituents after one of his workers was stabbed to death while distributing election paraphernalia in Charles Town yesterday afternoon.
    The murder victim was named as Omar Hernandez, a 32-year-old Maroon who, Vaz said, was “heavy into music, culture and was well-loved”.
    Hernandez, who was dressed in a T-shirt bearing Vaz’s image, was reportedly murdered by a group of men about 2:30 pm.
    “It is unfortunate, because it was just this year that he switched allegiance from the PNP to the JLP,” Vaz said. “So saddened am I by the loss of a life in my constituency that I am prepared, if it means saving another life, to cancel all my political activities between now and election, as we are not accustomed to this sort of intimidation and violence in Portland, the most peaceful parish in and out of election time.”
    Vaz said Hernandez’s killing was even more tragic, given that he had called a meeting of his election workers on Saturday and had warned them to “be careful and stay far and wide from any form of confrontation”.
    He said he would leave the police to carry out their investigation and hope that justice will be done.
    Vaz also called on the leaders of both major political parties to let us use our political maturity and guide their supporters to a peaceful election and Christmas.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1h2JVgUK3
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Was it over politics he was killed? If so they must find the killer(s) and deal with them quickly.

Comment

Vaz cares about lives.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And if it wasn't?

Comment

Hop off a mi fenda nuh yute. Just asking if it was a 'political' thing...or if is gang warfare or drugs...you know the type...

Comment

The PNP candidate says there are no evidence that politics had anything to do with the killing as he says people of Portland live well together despite the political differences.

One news cast said the guy had switched form being a PNP supporter this year
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Ah Mosiah...I'm sure he does...maybe not all.

Comment

Working...
              X