Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GREAT Concert, In My Opinion!

My Idea of a Great Concert!!

Turn up your speaker system or your high-quality headphone before you begin listening to this wicked performance of the song “Africa”! When some of the best musicians on the planet get together, this is what happens!

Here’s the YouTube link for the “new” edition of Toto and their live rendition of “Africa” in Paris in 2007:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QCRuxDlcY

Historian comes on this forum every day talking about so-called “great” music. But what does he really regard as great? This live concert by the now defunct rock band Toto in Le Zenith, Paris in 2007 fits firmly into my category of a “great performance.” Now you will know exactly where I stand when it comes to my music!

Of course, this band you’re seeing is not the original Toto, as only two members of the 1980s rock group (the group was actually formed in the late 1970s) are present. I’m referring here to lead guitarist Steve Lukather and vocalist Bobby Kimball. Nevertheless, this version of Toto surpasses the original, in my opinion. For this 2007 Paris concert, the members were:

Greg Phillanganes, one of the most recorded keyboard players in the history of American music -- Quincy Jones, for example, rarely produced anything without Greg on keyboards (for this tour he replaced Toto’s leader, keyboardist David Paich, who has retired)

Leland Sklar, one of the most recorded bass players ever in American music -- this bearded guy has played for virtually everyone (replacing Mike Porcaro who is very ill).

Simon Philips on drums (permanent replacement for the original drummer, Jeff Porcaro, who died ostensibly of a heart attack in 1992)

Bobby Kimball on vocals (original member)

Steve Lukather on lead guitar (original member)

I do not recognize the blonde guy who is playing the acoustic guitar in the background.

I sincerely hope you enjoy this fantastic performance of “Africa”!

Nice,

But still cant test this live recording...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QCRuxDlcY

Comment

Huh? did I miss a "LOL"?
      Peter R

Comment

Cuase there is none.

Stimela is highly prized by audiophiles!

Comment

historian... thank you for this... really enjoyed it...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

shosoloza ku lezuntaba stimela espume south africa ...... cannot see it but is that the hugh masekela version?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

leland sklar, the grand wizard... what a bass player... couple months ago i was at a sub shop near berkley and was talking to a group of young black youths who were all berkley students... they had formed a band were raving about the skill of their bass player... he said he is not good until he could play like sklar...

Comment

Yeah man from the album HOPE.

Wicked!

Fuss time I heard it was on a dealer system with cary CD player, Manley tube amps and YG Acoustics Anat refernce 2 speakers. This setup costs USD 130K (mi mumma) and sounds like it.

Comment

why does/did the lead singer eat of the ends of some many words during the verses? it kept throwing me off....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

why are base players always soooooo cool?! man!

Comment

Question: I have always loved the music and arrangement of this song but never really understood the storyline. One part sounds like its a guy waiting for a girl to join him in Africa, another more like a guy remembering time he spent in Africa with a girl? Is it one of those songs that leave it open to your own interpetation?
                      Last edited by Islandman; December 20, 2011, 12:23 PM.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_(Toto_song)

Comment

vocals is not his strength... nowhere near the original lead singer... appreciable for a live performance, still... his keyboard skill is better than the original though... played with more soul...

Comment

Yeah me did read that but it neva really clear it up for me. I got why he wanted to write a song about Africa but not really what the storyline is about.
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

this is true ..... are you pondering what i think you're pondering?

Comment

Working...
                              X