No announcement yet.

Meet an Outstanding Jamaican Musician!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet an Outstanding Jamaican Musician!

Source: The Sunday Gleaner, April 4, 2010
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent4.html
    Man of many basses - Mikey Fletcher moves from classical to rockers

Published: Sunday | April 4, 2010

Mikey Fletcher (background) accompanies Dean Fraser and Marjorie Whylie in a performance in 1990. file

Mikey Fletcher with three of his guitars. - Mel Cooke photo

Mel Cooke, Gleaner Writer
    Michael Fletcher cuts a dramatic figure on stage as part of the Tantrum (formerly Hot Shots) band, black glove on hand, trenchcoat billowing, holding down the bass groove as Shaggy proffers the screaming ladies his 'Mr Lova-Lova' self.

Fletcher has been the constant in various incarnations of the band for 14 years, evolving into musical director. It's hardly likely that someone who knew him at nine years old, when he started taking guitar lessons, would recognise him now - not because he's all grown up, but the musical direction he has taken is vastly different from that which his guitar genesis would have indicated.

Mikey Fletcher, as he is better known, stepped from the road less travelled of the classical guitarist onto the bustling thoroughfare of rockers. That musical move was part of a larger one, migration from England to Jamaica when he was 11 years old, although the rockers did not come until he was at the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts and versed in the classical guitar. While attending Ocho Rios Primary, he had continued music lessons with Lennie Hibbert.

Reality check
    "One day my teacher asked me out of the blue, 'Now that you are very good with your classical guitar, how are you going to earn in Jamaica?' That's when the reality hit me," he said.

It hit painlessly, though, as at the time Fletcher had been 'fooling around' with the bass guitar and taking trips to the performance room where popular music flowed. Although he said "they knew me as the Englishman, the classical guitarist", it was an easy transition. He went up to grade eight in both theory and classical guitar at Edna Manley.

It turned out to be a transition out of the college was well, Pam Hall introducing Fletcher to the north coast when a bass player was needed at a particular hotel in 1985. Even then, that did not satisfy Fletcher for long as he found that "I was learning so fast", knowing the jazz standards and the popular cabaret fare.

"That started to get stagnant," he said. So Fletcher came to Kingston, and told saxophonist Dean Fraser "I want to play with a reggae band that's going somewhere". It did not hurt that Fraser was part of just such an outfit and, after Fletcher returned to Jamaica from a three-week New York trip, Fraser told him the 809 Band needed a bass player.

So in 1987, Fletcher joined 809 and loved it. "Plying in 809 you got a chance to play with all the singers. Beres Hammond, Marcia Griffiths, I Threes, Freddie McGregor, Half Pint, Maxi Priest," he said. Then there were the deejays, like Shabba Ranks. The trips were "some memorable tours", where there was good, solid backing, chords and development in the music. "We did Sumfest, Superfest tours with Copeland Forbes in Europe, Half Pint, Beres Hammond, Dennis Brown and Freddie McGregor," he recalled. "We backed a lot of artistes, more singers than deejays. I love playing for singers. It gives me a chance to expand and explore."

He said the band had a full sound, with two guitar players and a horn section of Fraser, Nambo Robinson and Chico. But with the music changing, it got to the stage where some persons were asking for the rhythm section of 809 (Fletcher, Paul Kastick, Christopher Birch), but not the hornsmen. At Japansplash 1994, 809 played for Shaggy when he was breaking out with Oh Carolina. The following year he brought his own band, then a different set of musicians in 1996. He loved 809's sound, but was dissatisfied with his band. Fletcher, Kastick and Birch formed the new Shaggy band that did the Boombastic tour of 1996. Kastick left in 1999 and Birch in about 2003, as he started to do more production work.

Expanding stock of guitars
    Playing with Shaggy, Fletcher started to expand his stock of guitars. He remembers one show with the Backsteet Boys where Shaggy performed for 20 minutes, but he used five guitars. "You have a lot of bass players in Jamaica, playing regular bass. But I wanted to be different," he said.
    That difference includes an upright bass (electronic) and Fletcher sets it up and starts playing as he speaks with The Sunday Gleaner, his deep appreciation of the instrument immediately evident. "I like playing this. It's a different side of you," he said. It is especially appropriate for when Shaggy does Oh Carolina.

"I am always thinking about the bigger picture," he said.

And as the upright bass in its acoustic form is steeped in history, Fletcher also acknowledges the bass players who came before him. He saw The Skatalites' Lloyd Brevett playing the upright bass and, speaking with him, understood the commitment to the instrument. "He got me into the upright," Fletcher said. "It is about knowing your history. I remember even before that you had rhumba box. You have Boris Gardiner, you have Leroy Sibbles," he said. Then there is Robbie Shakespeare, with whom he said he exchanges ideas, and Glen Browne with his clarity of tone.

Fletcher has a small bass guitar he calls 'The Bone', a fretless bass and a seven-string bass, among others. "I am prepared for any way the gig goes," he said. However, while he used to go on the road with several instruments, because of travel restrictions he has had to cut back.
    • Musician's focus more home 'bass-ed'
    These days, Mikey Fletcher travels less and says "I want to work more in Jamaica, from home. I want to get more into teaching, exchange ideas with other people". He has a reggae workshop proposal on the table and wishes to do them in Australia, Europe and Japan. And then there is his production work with his Megahbass Productions.

He has played bass on numerous songs and said, "95 per cent of the time I get to compose the bassline. That's the good thing about the studio stuff, you can create". As a producer himself, it is different from playing the bassline only.

"I am thinking about how I would want to hear a band playing it. So as Beres Hammond sings, I am thinking in his concept of how I would want to hear him on the beat. As a player, I am thinking of the bass in the rhythm," Fletcher explained.

Among the productions he has done are Gone With Angels (Shaggy) and Picking Up the Pieces (Beres Hammond). He plays them for The Sunday Gleaner and explains that this is the sound he favours.

"You have a lot of dancehall producers, which is good. But this is the direction I want to go. This is my dream. This is my way of doing it," he said.

'Granite' rhythm
    Fletcher played his 'Granite' rhythm for The Sunday Gleaner, with cuts from Hawkeye, Ce'Cile and Chantelle Hernandez, among others.
    Then there is the changing role of Tantrum Band, which he is a part of. "We are spreading our wings and doing selective shows," Fletcher said. They have backed Macy Gray and did the St Lucia Jazz Festival with Heather Headley, as well as Joe on a Shaggy and Friends concert.

"We are still Shaggy's band, but apart from that we are looking at artistes going somewhere," Fletcher said. And that does not include playing for "30, 40 artistes, drop the microphone and run off. Thankfully, Shaggy is not like that," he said.

Still, Fletcher said he does not see himself on the road continuously and wants to get to the point of setting up a small music school to pass on the knowledge he has acquired.

"I don't want to do this forever. As you grow older the perspective changes. A lot of musicians make money in their earlier days, flash money and spend it. You don't want to get caught up, get to 60, 70, 80 years old and you're still touring. At that age, it should be selected shows. As you grow older it's more about you," Fletcher said.

He has not forgotten the road he was on originally, saying "occasionally I play classical guitar to myself". And there may just be a candidate for the school already as, at two years old, his son is already strumming away at the air.
    - M.C.

A few things here

1) He has played bass on numerous songs and said, "95 per cent of the time I get to compose the bassline. That's the good thing about the studio stuff, you can create". As a producer himself, it is different from playing the bassline only.

"I am thinking about how I would want to hear a band playing it. So as Beres Hammond sings, I am thinking in his concept of how I would want to hear him on the beat. As a player, I am thinking of the bass in the rhythm," Fletcher explained.

That is one of the reason why I can't understand how you rate Sly Dunbar as an average studio drummer while giving other "show drummies" much more credit.

One can't discredit the role the hotel schene play in building our musicians and showcasing the talents while making them ready for the bigtime. When people say the talent is lacking in Ja, it is not true. Some people just do the curcuits and don't bother with the hustle while other developing their thing. There are many other avenues and the hotel schene is just one.

Another thing is you realise that this many not only play reggae but play dancehall riddims as well. A lot of people migrate between so I don't see how dancehall can just be seen as the spreading of all evil.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Re: A few things here

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and to respond, ‘Sass.

Sadly, you missed my point by a million miles! I have never ever blamed the musicians for what is perceived as dancehall’s ills! The people I have consistently blamed are the producers (many of whom obviously shouldn’t be involved in music in the first place) and the deejays. I have never laid blame at the feet of musicians! In fact, one of my primary criticisms of the dancehall genre – and hip hop as well – is the limited role played by the people who should have been creating the music in the first place, the musicians. In this regard, country, rock, soca and gospel are more refreshing and creative genres than dancehall and hip hop.

I know Mikey Fletcher on a personal basis, although I haven’t spoken with him since around the mid 1980s. In fact, I know several members of the 809 Band, including Dean Fraser (leader), Leroy “Gibby” Morrison (lead guitarist and my very close friend – we used to jam together back in the 1980s), and Mikey (bass guitar and bass synth player back in the 1980s).

Regarding Sly Dunbar, I must belatedly confess that, after months of reflection, I have realized that omitting him from Jamaica’s best drummers is probably the single biggest mistake I have ever made in my postings on this forum. You are correct; I was focusing on performance drummers. There is today no doubt in my mind that Sly Dunbar is among the two or three most outstanding drummers that Jamaica has produced. I apologize for this major error on my part.

Musicians such as Mikey Fletcher, etc. play dancehall riddims on stage as well because they have to earn a living! Trust me on this, many reggae singers and musicians dislike dancehall even more passionately than I do. Most, however, are not going to say this publicly.

Comment

Good posts all. I have to agree with the both of you. Phew that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. If we were a progressive country the ministry of Education would hire him and others to give roving musical lessons to schools accross the country so that our natural musical talent can be expressed. The class nature of Jamaican thinking doesn't allow for this. We could have done this for Ska straight down to Dancehall.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Musicians such as Mikey Fletcher, etc. play dancehall riddims on stage as well because they have to earn a living! Trust me on this, many reggae singers and musicians dislike dancehall even more passionately than I do. Most, however, are not going to say this publicly.
          Oh so they are hypocrites...glad we cleared that up

Comment

Fully agree

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
            Good posts all. I have to agree with the both of you. Phew that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. If we were a progressive country the ministry of Education would hire him and others to give roving musical lessons to schools accross the country so that our natural musical talent can be expressed. The class nature of Jamaican thinking doesn't allow for this. We could have done this for Ska straight down to Dancehall.
            I fully agree with you, Rudi! And based on what he has posted over the years, I’m absolutely certain that Assasin shares your point of view as well.

For a country that has impacted the world as impressively as we have done with our music, I find it hard to understand why music education is not playing a more central role in our education system. And this music education should, as you rightly say, encompass all genres of Jamaican music, from ska straight through to dancehall.

Thanks for this post you’ve made.

Comment

Don't get me wrong

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              Oh so they are hypocrites...glad we cleared that up
              This was NOT a reference to Mikey Fletcher, as I have no idea what his views on dancehall are. (The last time I spoke to him was way back in the early to mid 1980s, when he was still with the 809 Band.)

I was referring to our singers and musicians generally, and I’m sure you realize that many mainstream reggae people despise dancehall. A few “brave” ones, such as roots artists Warrior King and Tony Rebel, have publicly expressed their views on dancehall.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                This was NOT a reference to Mikey Fletcher, as I have no idea what his views on dancehall are. (The last time I spoke to him was way back in the early to mid 1980s, when he was still with the 809 Band.)

I was referring to our singers and musicians generally, and I’m sure you realize that many mainstream reggae people despise dancehall. A few “brave” ones, such as roots artists Warrior King and Tony Rebel, have publicly expressed their views on dancehall.
                You are beng obtuse...what do you mean by "despise dancehall"? Tony Rebel produces dancehall so he despises himself? In one breath you say you have nothing against dancehall it is the producers...in a next breath you seek to denigrate the entire dancehall...confusion...

Comment

Agreed!

Lots of agreement on this! I wonder if the Min of Education agrees as well.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

thanks for the correction on Sly. I must say it takes a bigman to go back and think and come to a conculsion and make it publicly. It really had me spinning.

On the topic of Dancehall. The quality is lacking in many area but so too is in in some reggae and others. The fact is it is very easy noways to get pro-tools and other digital equipment and just put a thing together. It is a hit and miss thing. I also hear some very low quality reggae out there too that shouldn't even been in bathroom. DJ will play a song if the money is behind it even if it is not good while other decent tunes out there can't get a minute.

Just the other day a youth I am currently working with had a decent rotation and airplay on a single. He is now trying to complete an album. I said to him I have heard some decent stuff but I haven't heard you in the music, from your heart. I need a tune about what you think, your background and what would you tell others. He called me one night recently and said, " I have the tune. He sang it for me and I was impressed".

What some of these people need is mentorship, Buju songs changed when he went to Europe, others with exposure songs have changed. It is funny you mention Warrior King and Tony Rebel as both were seen as Dancehall artists when they started out.

You also have to blame some of these lazy musican and elders who sit back and offer no advice in the studio and to young artists. Yes government need to do more work with these musicians and music but also these successful musicians need to set up foundations to keep the music as well.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                    X