• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exile you think this will work?

'Tiki Tiki' fish to control mosquito population

Experiment launched in Portmore
    BY TANESHA MUNDLE Observer staff reporter mundlet@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, December 17, 2011

AN experiment using Gambusia, commonly called 'Tiki Tiki' fish, to rid the growing Portmore community in St Catherine of mosquitoes began yesterday.

Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries Robert Montague released 3,000 Gambusia into a pond at Adare Drive in Waterford, which was identified as one of the major breeding spot for mosquitoes following a survey by the Ministry of Health.
    MONTAGUE... should the experiment work, we intend to roll this out across the island

#slideshowtoggler, #slideshowtoggler a, #slideshowtoggler img {filter:none !important;zoom:normal !important}

According to the minister, fogging only kills the adult mosquitoes but that the Gambusia will feed on the mosquito larvae, hence reducing the mosquito population.
    Under the project, which is a combined effort of the health ministry, the Portmore Municipality and the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, a total of 10,000 fishes will be released into ponds overall over the next three days. Following that, officers from the Ministry of Health will visit the site within the next two weeks to do a follow-up survey to see if the measure is working before carrying out monthly surveys during the six-month duration of the project.
    "Should the experiment work, we intend to roll this out not only in Portmore but across the island through our agriculture department of the ministry. The biological control of mosquitoes has been used in eastern countries and in the pacific and what we have discovered is that in the sixties a lot of these countries actually imported the finger link (Gambusia) from Jamaica. So we will be using the resources that we have to eliminate the mosquitoes," Montague said.
    Mayor of Portmore Keith Hinds welcomed the project and said that he is hopeful that the project will be a success as it would mean a lot to the people of Portmore.
    "If this works, this is going to be a big relief on the part of the citizens because the truth of the matter is that I have been telling people that fogging of mosquitoes is a temporary measure. It really doesn't even last for a week and you could fog today, fog tomorrow, fog the other day and the day after that mosquitoes will still be biting you," he said.
    Senior public health inspector at the St Catherine Public Health Department, Simeon Bromfield, said that the project is a step in the right direction as it is a better solution than fogging and is more environmentally friendly.
    "For quite some time now we have been having some problems with regards to mosquitoes and infestation and the residents have always being complaining and have asked for fogging which is not the answer," he said.
    "This biological control is what we encouraged as other treatment such as the pouring of petrol will affect marine life. This is certainly 100 per cent environmentally friendly by using natural predators and if this is effective then there will be no need for fogging," he added.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1gnfmNSsX
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I hope so. Tiki-tiki find use!

Comment

this should work, good look

Comment

Biological control of pests always welcomed but must be properly managed and not just a photo-op. Has been tried with varied success rates worldwide...thing is healthy ponds with aquatic life especially fish don't have mosquito...so the pond must be able to sustain the life of the fish - pH, low oxygen, high hydrogen sulphide etc. and other aquatic toxins (including the malathion that they spray/fog) could affect the success. However these fish are fairly hardy and can survive low DO conditions and even nasty water.
        Another issue would be the salinity of the water - how much salt in the water - and I know the Edgewater/Portmore area was built on salt flats (sm areas), so if the water too salty the fish salt....UNLESS they have salt-tolerant species....
        Bottomline - good project once the variables are known and taken into consideration. I would have like to see the Inland Fisheries Dep. at Twickenham Park get involved or UWI Zoo Dept as they have the experience and know how (some) to deal with these issues.
        The other issue is that sometimes the source of the mosquito is right in peoples backyards in garbage/junk/tyres/ etc. so that has to be taken care of too....a cleanup campaign.
        Wish them luck!

Comment

thank you very much. Well thoughout answer. I hope all the variable are considered and it works. We really need to get rid of some of them vampire deh.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No prob. I was a actually approached by the Insect Vector Control people here to assist with designing a system for production of guppies for use in control of mosquito in drainage systems at a major hospital complex....I did...but haven't heard of or seen them since...freebie...

Comment

Bwoy it ruff some places in Ja sometimes. I wonder if these government even care. Maybe when mosquito start bite bad again and people complain they will return to you.

Comment

I have done a fair amount of travel over the last year or so and no where I've been can compete with Jamaica when it comes to mosquitoes. Not to mention vicious mosquitoes.

I think the mosquito problem is getting worse every day in Jamaica and requires now some radical intervention.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Heard the Min of Agriculture on TV last night saying this breed of fish can survive the saltiness of the Portmore Marsh and if washed away into the sea will swim back to where they were dumped in the ponds..maybe they came equipped with GPS
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

...never heard that one..they mussi cross with salmon...or turtle...

Comment

LOL!
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                      X