RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Gloomy Christmas' - Vendors, shoppers say election cloud...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Gloomy Christmas' - Vendors, shoppers say election cloud...

'Gloomy Christmas' - Vendors, shoppers say election cloud hanging over festive season

Published: Saturday | December 17, 2011 0 Comments

A large crowd on Beckford Street, downtown Kingston, searching for bargains during the annual Christmas 'shop till you drop' on Wednesday. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Martin Baxter, Gleaner Writer
    RED, GOLD and green - three vibrant colours associated with Christmas - were visible in downtown Kingston, but the joy, excitement and spirit synonymous with the festive period was nowhere to be found.
    This is because Kingston's shoppers, street vendors and store owners say that Jamaica's imminent general election has cast a shadow over what would normally be a time of reflection and rest.
    "It rough. Nutten nah gwaan right now true (because of) di election. Nobody nuh waan come out come spend nuh money," said one vendor on Beeston Street, who only identified herself as 'Maxine'.
    "Last year was better, but true election now, and di recession. Di people would preffa save dem money fah tinned mackerel and rice. Dem nah buy Nutten. When mi go dung inna di wholesale, mi cyaan buy the tings like one time. It come in like a me alone inna di wholesale. No money nuh deh here right now. We still a go have we likkle Christmas, but it rough, rough, rough."
    A passing shopper reiterated Maxine's sentiment by venting her resentment despite the December 29 election falling four days clear of Christmas Day.
    Worried
    "I'm not looking forward to Christmas because of the election. That should have been next year. It's ruined this year Christmas. Instead of the joy you're supposed to feel, we're worried about the crime and violence. It's not a happy Christmas," explained 42-year-old Sandy Morrison from Portmore.
    "The election will be after Christmas, but there's a cloud over it. We don't know what to expect. We don't know when violence is going to start with all the different parties clashing and whatsoever and there's no money because none of us not working, so the unemployment cloud the Christmas, not even a likkle money to spend."
    Edward Matar, 67-year-old managing director of Matar & Hanna on South Parade, said it was a gloomy period for his business.
    "Based on what we are seeing up to now, things are gloomy and not clear at all. We've had a bad, bad month for December due to different elements, elections et cetera. Wednesday night was supposed to be a decent day and we had music and lights and we lost half the sales," Matar said with a heavy sigh.
    No shoppers
    "Today, look at the place. It's Friday, I'm alone. It's very, very bad, we don't expect it to be much better, but I hope tomorrow will be better and next week too. But overall, we are down at least 20 per cent compared to the other years that we have. We hope for the best, but we see elections are coming up, so we're going to have another problem - before election, during election, after election, so we'll lose New Year too."
    A sharp decline in sales has also been felt across the road at Kingston Bookshop, explains 44-year-old Manager Ruel Matthie.
    "It has been extremely slow, normally we just have the Wednesday night sale that we've had for the last three years, but it was nothing compared to previous years. Sales were way down. The crowd was there for several hours, but I guess they came mainly to party, so that is what it has been like," said Matthie.
    "I think it's the election and people don't have the money, but I think a lot is to do with election."
    martin.baxter@gleanerjm.com
Working...
X