A notice Peter Phillips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A notice Peter Phillips

finally accepting some blame for FINSAC.

The are also accepting the fact that high interest rate polices are disasterous for the country and I hear Peter Phillips promise never to have this again.

That is a start, I hope others stop blinding their eyes to this fact.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    finally accepting some blame for FINSAC.

The are also accepting the fact that high interest rate polices are disasterous for the country and I hear Peter Phillips promise never to have this again.

That is a start, I hope others stop blinding their eyes to this fact.
    What a u-turn. Nuh recently he was trying to convince people that Finsac was necessary?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I thought he still defended FINSAC?!? at least to some degree in rescuing people's pension and savings. no?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

FINSAC was needed given the conditions. The problem is what made it get to that stage and when it got to that stage and FINSAC was required, how was the execution of the program?

Comment

Don't be stupid...of course it was "necessary" Was the TARP necessary?

The necessity of a FINSAC type remedy in the emergency and how well it was operated is neither to be conflated nor confused
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

How did FINSAC protect small and medium size businesses ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
              How did FINSAC protect small and medium size businesses ?

I believe FINSAC was a short term device aimed at protecting depositors and restructuring the financial system in a dire emergency... so your question is a non sequitur

The protection of businesses would be a function of not FINSAC but perhaps other government policy... but in an emergency the priorities would have to be re-ordered

That's like the silliness of saying how does the IMF ensure a country's development...They don't..that's not their function...the IMF exists to help with short term current account imbalances i.e. fi mek sure peeple pay Babylon dem pound ah flesh

Mi nuh inna di flights of fancy tudeh

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

He did say the government had nothing to do with the rate... the "market" set it, is what I heard him say.
                Peter R

Comment

Did you hear him commit to LOW INTEREST RATES in the future and never to return to high interest policies??
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

YEs, the "market" that the goverment constantly intervened in!

Omar Davis was a firm believer in high interest rate policy at the time. Me nuh see how him or the PNP can deny that.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

..yes... what else could he say when asked the question, well I'll tell you: I'm no economist but I would guess that there are times when a high interest rate policy would be in order... I would have said that: the government would be firmly and absolutely committed to low interest rates, (which he did say) and that they would do everything in their power to maintain that, BUT also that the forces of the market and circumstances beyond govt's control could possible lead to high interest rates... but that would be too honest and that's why I'm not a politician and will never feast from the public trough.. ~sigh~
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                        He did say the government had nothing to do with the rate... the "market" set it, is what I heard him say.
                        If he said that it would be quite foolish...or just being a disingenuous politician

Comment

Open market operations, overnight interbank deposit rates, reserve requirements and monetary policy determine the "market" rate.
                          Him either naive or pulling a fast one here...

Comment

Let me ask Peter R, which other government don't have a role in interest rate policies?

Interest rate are mostly attributed to government policies, especially in Jamaica as government sell bonds to the market.
                            Last edited by Assasin; December 16, 2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

you're on the money imho..to claim that you will ALWAYS maintain "low interest rates"... is either disingenuous or stupid...hmmm.....probably both

Comment

Working...
                              X