Ask the US Embassy: Election warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask the US Embassy: Election warning

Q: I have both Jamaican and US citizenship, and I am concerned about the possibility of violence and rioting around the time of the upcoming elections. Does the US Embassy have any advice about what I should do?

A: The US Embassy in Kingston advises US citizens resident in or travelling to Jamaica that parliamentary elections will take place throughout the island on December 29, 2011. While polling places include many school sites, which are not generally in areas frequented by US citizen visitors, they can be located in any public area. Historically, gatherings of zealous political supporters and political demonstrations have sometimes led to disputes, which resulted in injury to participants or bystanders. While the level of political violence has lessened substantially over the years, political demonstrations with the potential for unrest and injury may still occur in the period leading up to or following the December 29 elections. US citizens should check local media for the latest information, remain vigilant, and avoid any areas where protests are planned or taking place.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1gbKRI7wC

This must be someone totally unfamiliar with Jamaica to be asking the US embassy for advice on this issue.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Could be a poster on the forum....a wonder is which one?

Comment

Working...
      X