Portia: I don't have the gift of gab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia: I don't have the gift of gab

OPPOSITION Leader and Member of Parliament for St Andrew South West Portia Simpson Miller has admitted that she is not one for fancy speeches, but rather channels her energy on finding practical solutions to issues.

Addressing journalists after she was nominated for the eighth time to contest the St Andrew South West seat at the Greenwich All-Age School on Monday, Simpson Miller said that she was looking forward to the leadership debate against Prime Minister Andrew Holness set for next week Tuesday, but warned people who will follow the debate not to expect flowery verbal utterances from her.

SIMPSON MILLER... I believe in the people of Jamaica and what I say will be what I mean
    1/1
    "I just want to warn everybody: I don't have the gift of gab (the ability to speak with eloquence and fluency). So if that's what they are looking for they will not get [it]," Simpson Miller said in the midst of a throng of cheering, orange-clad supporters who had come to witness the handing over of her papers to returning officer for the constituency, Andrew Ricketts.

The debate will be the third in a series organised by the Jamaica Debates Commission.

The first debate between participants representing the younger face of the Jamaica Labour Party and People's National Party went off last Saturday, with opinion divided as to which camp won the verbal brawl.

The JLP was represented by Senator Marlene Malahoo Forte, Dr Sapphire Longmore and Senator Warren Newby; while the PNP had Lisa Hanna, Raymond Pryce and Dr Dayton Campbell as its debaters.

The second debate will be held tomorrow evening between Finance Minister Audley Shaw representing the JLP and the PNP's spokesman on finance, Dr Peter Phillips.

"I am a practical person, I believe in Jamaica, I believe in the people of Jamaica and what I say will be what I mean," Simpson Miller said.
    In terms of her preparation and groundwork for the showdown with Holness, Simpson Miller said that she had not yet started to put her notes together, as she chose to focus more on campaigning for her party leading up to the December 29 general election.

"I have not started yet (preparations). I am working to win (election) and then I will get into my preparation. I don't know if I need much preparation, but I know that am going to review some things so that when I get there, I will be able to represent the Jamaican people and the People's National Party very well," she said.

"The Jamaican people are realising exactly what will happen in this country if they do not make the right decision and do the right thing. We are sending a strong signal.

"The People's National Party is going to be sweeping across Jamaica, because the people want to ensure that their hopes are restored, that the country is rescued and that we go seriously for growth, development and prosperity for the country and the Jamaican people," Simpson Miller added.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1gWYsB0bu
Working...
X