Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make some money yes soupie

Soup vendor sales big on Nomination Day

Ricardo Wilks started preparing a large pot of chicken soup at dawn yesterday, eager to head out to his tiny stall in the centre of Crofts Hill, Northern Clarendon.
    That's where he sells soup most days, but yesterday was different. Nomination Day means big crowds and big crowds mean big money. Well, that's what he hoped, anyway.
    "I planning to stay out here until even seven tonight," he said. It was then about nine in the morning.
    "But I hoping the crowd keep me out here selling even later than that," said Wilks with a smile.
    All around him, supporters of the Jamaica Labour Party and the People's National Party were dancing to loud music as they awaited the arrival of their candidates.
    Wilks said he wasn't particularly interested in voting in the upcoming general election, but regarded the fervour with which his fellow Crofts Hill residents approached nomination day as good - for business. "I tell yuh!" he beamed. "I don't know nothing about politics. I leave that alone, but man I wish yuh could have nomination day or election every day! I would mek money till mi fool!"
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X