PNP cries foul over nomination of second Damion Crawford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Search For The 'Other' Crawford

An aura of mystery yesterday continued to cast a shadow over Damion Crawford, the independent candidate for East Rural St Andrew.

The Gleaner yesterday went in search of the man with the same name as the People's National Party's (PNP) more popular candidate for the constituency, but 'independent' Crawford remained an enigma yesterday when the newspaper was greeted with stone-faced silence at his home.

The Gleaner was hot on the trail of the elusive candidate who lives in the heart of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) stronghold of Grants Pen in the North East St Andrew constituency which, until the recent dissolution of Parliament, had been represented by Delroy Chuck.

The heightened curiosity over the mystery man, who disappeared soon after he was nominated on Monday, was not present in Grants Pen and his girlfriend refused to speak. Neighbours told the news team that 'independent' Crawford had left for work earlier in the day.

In the meantime, the PNP's Damion Crawford, yesterday summoned journalists to a press conference to air his concerns about "a number of irregularities and breaches which have tainted the integrity of the electoral process in the East Rural St Andrew constituency".

However, the press conference was postponed soon after, citing "new details emerging in the matter".

The Gleaner has recorded at least two previous incidents in which persons with the same name were nominated in the same constituency.

In 2002, two persons named Patrick Roberts were nominated in similar fashion, with one being the PNP candidate now facing off against Prime Minister Andrew Holness and the other an independent.

The Carter Center, which observed the election, made note of the two Roberts during the election.

Attempt to confuse

"Interestingly, supporters wearing JLP green accompanied the 'independent' Patrick Roberts on nomination day, leading many to posit that this nomination was an attempt to confuse voters," the election watchdog stated in a report.

Political historian Troy Caine told The Gleaner that, in 1949, two persons with the surname 'Morris' were nominated to contest the election in South East St James.

Caine said the "name game" heightened in 1978 when six women emerged with the surname Thompson to challenge the PNP's Dudley Thompson in a by-election, after David Coore had resigned.

He said the Electoral Office of Jamaica (EOJ) got wind of the plot, overturned the election, and held another.

gary.spaulding@gleanerjm.com

Comment

u miss the point

Comment

Gary is a good journalist

Comment

Clever? Disappointed at your response. This is gutter politics, something that you speak out against yearly.....

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.."

Comment

damions? omens?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

..and this is what people say is par for the course and acceptable???

"Cause its perfectly legal and his constitutional right. Not a dyam thing can be done about it. Its clever, churlish politics and conceptually good strategy, but may not work in any case. Instead of kevetching, the PNP should make counter-moves". -Willi.

okkk....

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                Why is there an assumption that JLPNP candidates have more rights than anyone else?

Why is not the rasta one the duplicate? Who is older? Who had to depend on the winds of fortune to get their party to back them at the 11th hour. No Andrew Holness (youth ascendency) and Rasta Damion dont even HAVE a seat...is like yuh figget arready! LoL
                Thank you Willi! These PNP supporters just love focusing on trivial stuff.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It's Trivia now?

Comment

trivial is more like it!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I see you have lined up neatly and taken your place.

Comment

fooling the voters is one thing...how about those who are counting the ballots? how does that work? hmmm....
                        Peter R

Comment

excuse you?! in fact i will excuse you! yuh join the tribalist dem! all of a sudden it look like people cannot even mek a comment which is against your affiliation!

disappointed in yuh to ********! but a suh ..... notwithstanding i will continue to comment how and when i please, not to please.

Comment

You Sir have become very predictable of late...so I comment on it...you are always free to comment on whatever you want wouldn't ..couldn't take that from you...carry on....

Comment

predictable smedictable ...... nonsense!!! i can tell you this, i am not as onesided as you or lazie and so if that is predictable tek it an run wid it!

is one thing mi thoroughly and always dislike about jamaican politics in particular, any comment perceived to be against a candidate, is a comment against the party ergo yuh a fi di other side. i had thought more hghly of you ... but 'tis the season!

Comment

We were not even discussing a PARTY matter per se. Would have thought you could have put a more sincere perspective on the matter of electioneering obfuscation. So I guess I expected too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X