So the bitter medicine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the bitter medicine..

How comes we have not had a discussion on what Andy, Mosiah's drinking buddy, meant when he said we are to expect "bitter medicine" some next year.

I am sure he was not planning to run us down and force us to drink Eucalyptus oil.

Andy has given some hints and I have heard thru the grape vine it is some thing that neither party wants to touch with a long stick but will have to face up to it whoever gets the mandate December 29th.

Its those three dirty words-TAX.

There will be a raft of new taxes and the poor will get squeezed more but there will be some benefits as well but....

The tax system might see some fundamental changes as well and according to one source as a people we hate changes...

Of course we don't expect Andy to talk about these things in the run up to the elections but he will have to face them early in the new year
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
    How comes we have not had a discussion on what Andy, Mosiah's drinking buddy, meant when he said we are to expect "bitter medicine" some next year.

I am sure he was not planning to run us down and force us to drink Eucalyptus oil.

Andy has given some hints and I have heard thru the grape vine it is some thing that neither party wants to touch with a long stick but will have to face up to it whoever gets the mandate December 29th.

Its those three dirty words-TAX.

There will be a raft of new taxes and the poor will get squeezed more but there will be some benefits as well but....

The tax system might see some fundamental changes as well and according to one source as a people we hate changes...

Of course we don't expect Andy to talk about these things in the run up to the elections but he will have to face them early in the new year
    Well there is the tax reform which is currently being discussed.
    The one which is going to cause problems is the pension reform. There is a need to reduce the wages/gdp and I think the possibilty of job cuts is now staring everyone in the face.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It depends, if we are talking about consumer tax or people paying thier fair share. Its funny to listen to the debate and people talking about grow the economy. They need to look outside of Tourism for growth. Look to technology solar and alternative energy production if they really want to grow the economy .

Comment

we are in a position where if ANY party try to paint a rosy picture to say there is no need for auterity measures in order to improve the economy and stimulate it (whether with or without IMF) therein would lie the big LIE!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          we are in a position where if ANY party try to paint a rosy picture to say there is no need for auterity measures in order to improve the economy and stimulate it (whether with or without IMF) therein would lie the big LIE!
          Well ... that would explain why one side not saying anything. I wonder if the right questions will be asked at the debate Thursday night?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You mean Andrew not saying anything? Hmm you might be right there
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              You mean Andrew not saying anything? Hmm you might be right there
              Didn't you refer to what Andy said regarding bitter medicine? Try again. I've been asking time and again, why is it we cannot hear from the opposition what their plans are? They have nothing to say on tax reform, pension reform etc.

Comment

Yeah we haffe break some new ground.

Again, the problem is the work force. If Patrick Casserly couldn't find enough trained people fe handle basic customer service calls, how many can we really find to work in more technical industries?

We have to get the youths involved and interested in STEM education.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Whooaa seems you practicing some of the same Comrade Comprehension you accuse others of...Mosiah's drinking buddy did not come out and say much at all, he was hemming and hawing about the bitter medicine..what I said on the taxatioin changes coming up did not come from Andy but from other sources.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Mi a tell unnu longtime.

This is what going to happen.

No raises for public sector for the next two years and if they fight it then a massive lay off.

GCT tax going to drop lower and more taxes on goods that are not tax now. Doctors, lawyer and independ people going to have to pay taxes now.

Pension reform where government workers is now going to have to pay something towards their pension as they didn't before.

Some government instititions are going to be privatised as well.

Can't say you never hear it. If this is not done then IMF is going to rub our ....... It nuh matter who win, no way out unless we want massive devaluation and inflation.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                    X