Prime Minister mentions public sector job cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Minister mentions public sector job cuts

Prime Minister Andrew Holness, has given a preview of the bitter medicine that Jamaicans will have to endure, in order for the country to address its ballooning debt, and salvage its agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

He did so during an interview on a special edition of TVJ's All Angles on Sunday.

According to Mr. Holness, in order to tackle the public sector wage bill, jobs may be lost.

“It is almost unavoidable that when you start to restructure the public sector separate from divestments but just structuring for efficiency that you may find within that restructuring that you have workers that are redundant in some instances. The challenge for us is to do the restructuring parallel to bringing in new investment,” he said.

The Prime Minister added that the public sector must therefore become more efficient.

“The last thing you want to do is to lose jobs in an environment where you have a global recession and your economy isn’t growing. So we have shifted the discussion to the efficiency. So what we want to do is to raise the productivity of our workers,” Mr. Holness said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I find this thing to be a complete joke. How many days away from the election and the important issues are being side stepped by the people wanting to form the new gov't. I see many creating excitement about Team PNP's performance in the debate, but people fail to pay attention to exactly what was said by these debators.

Lets hope when Phillips and Shaw face off on Thursday the serious conversations can start about the debt, economy, tax, pension reform etc.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

How long before the PNP calls a press conference to announce no public sector job cuts if they are elected?

Comment

I see many creating excitement about Team PNP's performance in the debate

a nuh them alone, u to

member u all call Bricky dem fren SHEBADA lol

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
          I see many creating excitement about Team PNP's performance in the debate

a nuh them alone, u to

member u all call Bricky dem fren SHEBADA lol
          I put forward numerous misinformation that Hanna and her sidekicks uttered .... and all now unuh cannot say otherwise. I did say Team PNP won the debate. They were more confident on the night, but checking the details after the fact prove that mendacity not only exist in the JLP. As for the claim that S&P want the PNP back in gov't .... and Mosiah and Sickko the so called Truth Crusaders are still silent.

Comment

As for the claim that S&P want the PNP back in gov't ....

what evidence you have to say this is true or false

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
              As for the claim that S&P want the PNP back in gov't ....

what evidence you have to say this is true or false
              SkengD ... stop defend almshouse!

Comment

Working...
              X