RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historian et al. - The View from Nowhere....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian et al. - The View from Nowhere....

The View from Nowhere: Questions and Answers

Nov. 10
    “American journalism is dumber than most journalists, who often share my sense of absurdity about these practices. A major reason we have a practice less intelligent than its practitioners is the prestige that the View from Nowhere still claims…”
    After dismissing Mr. Williams, who was one of its senior news analysts, NPR argued that he had violated the organization’s belief in impartiality, a core tenet of modern American journalism. By renewing Mr. Williams’s contract, Fox News showed its preference for point-of-view — rather than the view-from-nowhere — polemics.
    —Brian Stelter, Two Takes at NPR and Fox on Juan Williams, New York Times, Oct. 21, 2010
    (This Q and A was conducted by Jay Rosen, solo. He did the questions and the answers.) #
    Q. You’ve been using this phrase, “the view from nowhere,” for a while– #
    A. Yeah, since 2003 #
    Q. So what do you mean by it? #
    A. Three things. In pro journalism, American style, the View from Nowhere is a bid for trust that advertises the viewlessness of the news producer. Frequently it places the journalist between polarized extremes, and calls that neither-nor position “impartial.” Second, it’s a means of defense against a style of criticism that is fully anticipated: charges of bias originating in partisan politics and the two-party system. Third: it’s an attempt to secure a kind of universal legitimacy that is implicitly denied to those who stake out positions or betray a point of view. American journalists have almost a lust for the View from Nowhere because they think it has more authority than any other possible stance. #
    Q. Well, does it? #
    A. What authority there is in the position of viewlessness is unearned– like the snooty guy who, when challenged, says, “Madam, I have a PhD.” In journalism, real authority starts with reporting. Knowing your stuff, mastering your beat, being right on the facts, digging under the surface of things, calling around to find out what happened, verifying what you heard. “I’m there, you’re not, let me tell you about it.” Illuminating a murky situation because you understand it better than almost anyone. Doing the work! Having a track record, a reputation for reliability is part of it, too. But that comes from doing the work. #
    Q. Who gets credit for the phrase, “view from nowhere?” #
    A. The philosopher Thomas Nagel, who wrote a very important book with that title. #
    Q. What does it say? #
    A. It says that human beings are, in fact, capable of stepping back from their position to gain an enlarged understanding, which includes the more limited view they had before the step back. Think of the cinema: when the camera pulls back to reveal where a character had been standing and shows us a fuller tableau. To Nagel, objectivity is that kind of motion. We try to “transcend our particular viewpoint and develop an expanded consciousness that takes in the world more fully.” #
    But there are limits to this motion. We can’t transcend all our starting points. No matter how far it pulls back the camera is still occupying a position. We can’t actually take the “view from nowhere,” but this doesn’t mean that objectivity is a lie or an illusion. Our ability to step back and the fact that there are limits to it– both are real. And realism demands that we acknowledge both. #
    Q. So is objectivity a myth… or not? #
    A. One of the many interesting things Nagel says in that book is that “objectivity is both underrated and overrated, sometimes by the same persons.” It’s underrated by those who scoff at it as a myth. It is overrated by people who think it can replace the view from somewhere or transcend the human subject. It can’t. #
    Q. You are very critical of the View from Nowhere in journalism. It’s almost a derisive term for you. #
    A. That’s true. I let my disdain for it show. #
    Q. Why? #
    A. Because it has unearned authority in the American press. If in doing the serious work of journalism–digging, reporting, verification, mastering a beat–you develop a view, expressing that view does not diminish your authority. It may even add to it. The View from Nowhere doesn’t know from this. It also encourages journalists to develop bad habits. Like: criticism from both sides is a sign that you’re doing something right, when you could be doing everything wrong. #
    When MSNBC suspends Keith Olbermann for donating without company permission to candidates he supports– that’s dumb. When NPR forbids its “news analysts” from expressing a view on matters they are empowered to analyze– that’s dumb. When reporters have to “launder” their views by putting them in the mouths of think tank experts: dumb. When editors at the Washington Post decline even to investigate whether the size of rallies on the Mall can be reliably estimated because they want to avoid charges of “leaning one way or the other,” as one of them recently put it, that is dumb. When CNN thinks that, because it’s not MSNBC and it’s not Fox, it’s the only the “real news network” on cable, CNN is being dumb about itself. #
    In fact, American journalism is dumber than most journalists, who often share my sense of absurdity about these practices. A major reason we have a practice less intelligent than its practitioners is the prestige that the View from Nowhere still claims in American newsrooms. You asked me why I am derisive toward it. That’s why. #
    Q. Okay, but as I’m sure you know, smart journalists figured out a long time ago that complete objectivity is unattainable. They are quick to acknowledge that. They may say that it’s a goal worth striving for, but they are not unaware of the problems you mention. Many of them think fairness a better goal, anyway. Why go on and on about it, when these concessions have been made? #
    A. Well, part of the reason I started using the term View from Nowhere is to isolate the part I found troublesome. About that larger contraption, newsroom objectivity, I have a mixed view. When people talk about objectivity in journalism they have many different things in mind. Some of these I have no quarrel with. You could even say I’m a “fan.” #
    For example, if objectivity means trying to ground truth claims in verifiable facts, I am definitely for that. If it means there’s a “hard” reality out there that exists beyond any of our descriptions of it, sign me up. If objectivity is the requirement to acknowledge what is, regardless of whether we want it to be that way, then I want journalists who can be objective in that sense. Don’t you? If it means trying to see things in that fuller perspective Thomas Nagel talked about–pulling the camera back, revealing our previous position as only one of many–I second the motion. If it means the struggle to get beyond the limited perspective that our experience and upbringing afford us… yeah, we need more of that, not less. I think there is value in acts of description that do not attempt to say whether the thing described is good or bad. Is that objectivity? If so, I’m all for it, and I do that myself sometimes. #
    The View from Nowhere is my attempt to isolate the element in objectivity that we don’t need, and call attention to it. #
    Q. What happens if the attempt fails and the View From Nowhere continues on, unaffected by any of these criticisms? #
    A. I could be wrong, but I think we are in the midst of shift in the system by which trust is sustained in professional journalism. David Weinberger tried to capture it with his phrase: transparency is the new objectivity. My version of that: it’s easier to trust in “here’s where I’m coming from” than the View from Nowhere. These are two different ways of bidding for the confidence of the users. #
    In the old way, one says: “I don’t have a horse in this race. I don’t have a view of the world that I’m defending. I’m just telling you the way it is, and you should accept it because I’ve done the work and I don’t have a stake in the outcome…” #
    In the newer way, the logic is different. “Look, I’m not going to pretend that I have no view. Instead, I am going to level with you about where I’m coming from on this. So factor that in when you evaluate my report. Because I’ve done the work and this is what I’ve concluded…” #
    If the View from Nowhere continues on, unchallenged, trust in the news media will probably continue to decline. #
    Q. Your counsel would be to drop it, then? #
    A. No, to challenge it. I think it’s wiser to be ecumenical about this. A great deal of progress can be made with a pluralistic solution. Let’s have View from Nowhere people flourishing side by side with “here where I’m coming from” journalists, and see what happens. Ease up and let both systems operate– sometimes within the same news organization. During the episode in which a fine young reporter, Dave Weigel, lost his job at the Washington Post because he was perceived as insufficiently uncommitted, Ben Smith of the Politico stood up for this kind of pluralism: “My personal view is that ideological and neutral journalism can flourish side by side, each going places the other is unwelcome, and each correcting for the other’s weaknesses.” #
    I wouldn’t use the terms he used, but I am willing to sign on to the remedy. #
    Let some in the press continue on with the mask of impartiality, which has advantages for cultivating sources and soothing advertisers. Let others experiment with transparency as the basis for trust. When you click on their by-line it takes you to a disclosure page where there is a bio, a kind of mission statement, and a creative attempt to say: here’s where I’m coming from (one example) along with campaign contributions, any affiliations or memberships, and–I’m just speculating now–a list of heroes and villains, or major influences, along with an archive of the work, plus anything else that might assist the user in placing this person on the user’s mattering map. #

http://pressthink.org/2010/11/the-vi...s-and-answers/

Also:
    Why the Internet Weakens the Authority of the Press

http://pressthink.org/2009/01/audien...-of-the-press/

Comment

Re: The View From Nowhere

Of course, complete objectivity is “unattainable,” as Professor Jay Rosen pointed out above. But Exile, we all are aware of this! The late Dr. Aggrey Brown, in fact, never hesitated in pointing this out to his students during his “Development-Support Communication” lectures. And problems with complete objectivity become truly obvious when we consider that every journalist has “a view”! Journalists are human beings as well, just like everyone else, and are touched in one way or the other by often deep-seated religious, cultural, nationalistic, and other influences!

Does this mean that the Jamaican media houses should all adopt the unashamedly biased stance taken by local newspapers such as the Sunday Herald or the long-defunct tabloid, The Daily News? Would having a fully partisan press – one that sheds all attempts at focusing on objectivity, as prescribed by Rosen -- best serve the interests of the ordinary Jamaican? Or is it best to continue to strive for that ideal, that middle ground, where journalists continue in their endeavor for truth and balance?

By the way, Rosen’s comment regarding CNN reminds me of any number of right-wing Rupert Murdoch-employed hacks. (And I’m in no way accusing the highly respected Jay Rosen of being in any way similar to those clowns at Fox News Channel.) However, because CNN refuses to take the obviously liberal stance of MSNBC or the obviously conservative stance of Fox News Channel, does that really mean that CNN is being “dumb about itself,” as Rosen suggests? The BBC takes a rather similar approach to CNN, which is basically to report the news and let its viewers decide.

In my opinion, Rosen’s “pluralistic solution” simply ends up legitimizing the sometimes disgraceful approach by media practitioners such as those employed by Fox News Channel and MSNBC. (You would be surprised at the extent that Fox News Channel and its decision makers went in order to attack the character and efforts of Bill Clinton and, more recently, Barack Obama.) And Rosen’s clever writing, including his creative use of figures of speech (“Let some in the press continue on with the mask of impartiality”) certainly in no way disguises the problems that could accrue should most journalists suddenly cease “stepping back from their position to gain an enlarged understanding.”

I think I understand his concern, but journalism today is the result of well over a century of evolution, and I for one would hate to see the clock turned back to the nineteenth century and the era of Yellow Journalism and other such questionable approaches. We had enough of that in recent times in the formeer Soviet Union, and in certainbackwaters of civilization today.

No doubt, the Glenn Beck/Sean Hannity/Rush Limbaugh “school” of modern journalism would welcome a world where we all agree with Rosen that “criticism from both sides is a sign that you’re doing something right, when you could be doing everything wrong.”

Simply put, we have to continue the evolution of the search for fairness and balance; in other words, objectivity.

Comment

My Toughts on Blogging

Looking at your second post, Exile, the Internet does not only “weaken” the traditional authority of the press, it also opens a completely new, and frightening, bag of worms!

Just recently we saw yet another manifestation of this potential problem when word spread like wildfire throughout the entire Caribbean region that Vybz Kartel and some of his cronies had escaped from prison! We soon learnt the source of this report.

Whether you like it or not, the traditional press has journalists and editors who are highly trained in reporting – in obtaining evidence, presenting them with some effort at balance, etc. Bloggers and the like have no interest in such lofty goals. Many bloggers cannot even write a proper paragraph, and the importance of careful fact checking and the utilizing of authoritative sources of news are lost on them!

I don’t have to elaborate any more for you to realize the potential danger to truth and balance that has been posed by this phenomenon called the Internet!

Comment

Historian...will get back on this later. Thanks for the responses - at least not a part of the election rhetoric.
          gtg.

Comment

You identify Jamaican media organs you feel have a particular bias... there is empirical evidence to support your claim I believe.

However your target selection itself on the face of it may expose you to suspicions of bias .... those outlets you identify were/are widely regarded as left-leaning or "progressive" as some prefer... a position that, one could reasonably infer from your posts, you would generally be opposed to.

What is your view of the Observer's blatant political bias, base self promotion of its owner and its unprofessional usage of the paper to defend the owner's personal, petty interests & malign his enemies... e.g. his suit with that Issa fellow and the crass reporting it conducted in connection with it??
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Historian ...your view from Somewhere is Nowhere to be found

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Exile, think you're slick?

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                Historian...will get back on this later. Thanks for the responses - at least not a part of the election rhetoric.
                gtg.
                Oh no, Exile, I’m not letting you off so easily!

I was “busy” minding my own business when you posted Rosen’s commentary and called me out. I took the time to read something with which I disagreed, and also took the time to make my comments. For you to merely say “will get back on this later” and then promptly disappear completely and permanently from the thread is not going to work! No sir!!

Of course, I realize that everyone here has become an expert on the communications media….

Comment

Welcome back...and there I thought YOU had disappeared and there died my interest in the thread. I am no expert in communications media by any stretch, I'm a student - willing to learn, willing to read and discuss. I am also so painfully aware how the media -all forms -have had the power to shape societies' thinking, distort news and images and bias understanding. I think we all share the view that they also play an important role in fact finding, and of course investigative journalism in uncovering truth or different perspectives. Or just plain giving the news - reporting.
                  Ah, the advent of the internet and more recently social media sites and blogging have opened a huge can of worms and showed us the two-edged sword that the internet has turned out to be. I remember back in the early 90's using mainframe platforms and workstation connected by phone-line to send real-time messages to a friend miles away and was over-awed by it all especially coming from a background where instant messaging use to be telegraph and telephones or you shout at someone far away. I have followed electronic communications closely since.

I have also had a close connection with the press - at different levels and to a latter extent other electronic media. With the advent of cellphones, digital imagery and internet there has been a plethora of what is passed of news or information by both laypersons or even so-called media personnel. The lofty ideals of the traditional press which you hold dearly - no longer pertains. Some may argue that we don't anyone to sift the information for us - give us all and we will decide. So it may come down to source. I am sure you remember the case of the award winning Pulitzer writer who was later found to have made up her story about a young kid named Jimmy who was a drug addict. She was from the well-respected Washington Post. We can also mention the effect of radio and the well-documented story of Orson Wells alien invasion story that had all of the USA panicking because "it seemed so real". So we know the power of the media to really distort facts and to shape opinion. Then also, the role of media in WW2 in England and the effect of propaganda - where it all started. So we are back to 2011, and some of our island nations have take all of the worst aspects of media and rolled them into one - (well some hyperbole there) and use it as tool to manipulate, control and influence happenings. Sounds far-fetched?

How do we then get balance? For me, I like to get information from all sources if possible and then make the decisions. Often this is impossible so we ma have biases in terms of trustworthiness or in the type of information we are receiving. Sports news writers and broadcasters all have their biases, in fact all aspects of the media do have varying biases. We know of Fox and MSNBC. Do we allow Journalist to continue to filter the news, dress it up as they like and we take 'three spoons a day'? I say no. Read the blogs, listen to the news, find alternate sources and take everything with a huge spoon of salt.

(next time we can talk about how international news is run by a FEW media moguls)

Comment

Good post. And I agree with your conclusion for the most part.

It is easy to fall into the trap of not wanting to change how we do things when the world around us has changed. For example people like to complain about misuse of sites like Wikipedia, etc as shortuts for proper research. Well, while Wikipedia clearly has its limitations, there is no doubt in my mind that its benefits far outweigh its potential problems. We just need to learn and understand how to use it. .

In my view blogs, Twitter, social media, etc sites are as a whole a fantastic development in the media world. There are many stories which are first broken on blog sites and then make thier way to the mainstram media. There is also a lot of garbage on news blogs, just as there is a lot of garbage music, movies, books,etc. This is what happens when the means of producton becomes commoditized. We can chose to go back to a world when , for example there were a handful of music producers or book publishers ripping off all the musicians or dictating who can publish a book or release a movie, , or the current situation where anybody can "try a ting". I prefer the latter.

If some people choose to use a single or specific type of blog or news site as thier only source of information then they are the ones who are to be blamed.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Noice! ...entirely on the money imho

BTW...Historian's serial "disappearances" are interesting phenomena...driven by selective convenience it would appear

He has every right tho

Comment

Things that are broken in blogs, you should check your traditional newsite to see if it eventually get there. You have to doublecheck these paper and the credibility of the writers as well.

But even today and as always you have some lazy journalist who put things in print, only that it is easier to catch them today.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't understand you Sir..you called me out, I responded and you are nowhere to be found? Rise oh fallen fighter, rise and take your stand...

Comment

A Completely Relevant Post!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                            Ah, the advent of the internet and more recently social media sites and blogging have opened a huge can of worms and showed us the two-edged sword that the internet has turned out to be. I remember back in the early 90's using mainframe platforms and workstation connected by phone-line to send real-time messages to a friend miles away and was over-awed by it all especially coming from a background where instant messaging use to be telegraph and telephones or you shout at someone far away. I have followed electronic communications closely since.
                            This is actually an excellent post you have made, Exile! You’ve touched on major issues involving the press and the broadcast media in a comprehensive but at the same time concise way. I certainly share your very relevant views on issues involving the so-called Fourth Estate .

Yes, I certainly remember journalist Janet Cooke and her cooked up story (pun intended) about little Jimmy. I’m sure as well that The Washington Post will always remember this extremely unethical woman! This woman, of course, had lacked credibility from the very start, as even her qualifications were false!

Now you have my memory working in overdrive! Remember also The New York Times’ Jayson Blair. He was even more remarkable than Cooke and, as in the case of Cooke, senior editors had ignored warning signs of Blair’s lack of credibility. Then there was the New Republic’s Stephen Glass! All of these make for truly fascinating case studies!

I must confess, however, that the advent of blogs and other social media scares the hell out of me! By the way, my sardonic comment about “experts” was in no way whatsoever aimed at you. The fact that you are knowledgeable enough and concerned to have posted that commentary by Professor Jay Rosen gave me the impression that you indeed are aware of the workings and the pluses and minuses of mass media in our globalized world (to make use of media sociologist Marshall McLuhan’s famous “globalization” terminology).

Comment

Working...
                            X