No announcement yet.

Woiiie Pooortia Mi Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its really ridiculous to give an MP 3 jobs, ie area rep, lawmaker and potential Govt executive....when the foundation is area rep and most of them have no connection to the areas...

Dem fi open up the Executive to make only the PM, deputy PM and MOF be the ONLY ones who Have to sit in parliament. The rest should be free to be filled by civil society.

Comment

That too has obvious flaws for then you have folks in parliament making decisions for the people who they do not represent. I think 3 Senators are part of the Cabinet, not so? Maybe the concept on 'Independent' Senators should be explored further where the GG under the advice of 'group of experts' or PM and Opp leader will appoint such people to get more non-partisan decision making.

Comment

Actually Willi, that is a good idea, and one that I have always been advocating. Why should you have to be elected to be a MOG. Missing out on most of the most talented people.

Comment

wheh dem have US$1 Mil house innah di garrison wid 1 acre lot ?.. how dem muss entatain ?

talk sense nuh..

cho..

Comment

Parliament?

Execs are not in parliament in my scenario. Nobody voted for Geithner in the US and look at his job.

Comment

MPs would continue to sit in parliament like now.

Comment

True. Maybe the advantages might outweigh the disadvantages though. Hard to say for sure.

For example if your vote for MP is separate from your vote for governing party then I think more people would consider voting for a good 3rd party or independent candidate as MP.

Once the govt controls all the purse strings though, they would still have the power to favor projects in the constituencies where they control or are likely to win.

There are no easy fixes by tinkering with the electoral process, that is for sure. In the end the people will still have to do the hard work of keeping the pressure on officials and hold them accountable.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

They have the checks and balances. We don't unless we take some of X's suggestions into consideration. The executive agencies were moving in the right direction...

Comment

How it worse dan what obtains now and arent the 3 compulsory top exec position in the Cabinet enuff parliamantary oversight? If not, we can have regular parliamentary reports say every quarter where the Ministers have to address parliament or a committee of parliamant and face grilling.

Parliament will have the right to force the PM to recall any Minister...

Comment

Ben thats what I mean by faught talkers , this kinda of colonial elitist corrupt thinking is the problem , you and your ilk/jllp/pnp have no concept of thinking outside or around the box, your minset is set in stone.

Have you ever head of gentrification ? Bill clinton pionered this in harlem , when harlem was a crack house , he encouraged the rich and wealthy to move into harlem a poor neighbourhood with an offer for tax breaks , now we have lawyers ,mds and professionals moving into harlem where the price of real estate is out of reach for middle class people.

I heard a developer was proposing the same for down town kingston, but why only down town kingston?Why havent it been grabbed by anyone from government,past or present ?

Lets continue along the same path , the faught talking will get us to our objective....faught.No amount of lip service, Jeep , IMF developmental ,Portai/Holness/JLP/PNP programmes will get us anywhere until we deal with corruption.

How the mirror look on Mike Henry cieling?
                      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

mi si people leff dem good profession fi join politics, so suppen mus inna it, so a likkle relocation a nuh nutten

Comment

mek sense

Comment

Its a start. Drop a dime pon one a dem politicians who a try skirt the residential requirement nuh. It boils down to people who live in an area have more at stake than an "outsider". A brethren who got accepted into a police department haffi go change his residency before dem accept him into the policy academy, due to that town's residency requirements. Mandating that cops, teachers, firemen and other town work workers living in the city maintains and builds the middle-class.
                            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I am split on this as without any other incentives you may loose good people who just want to work there as well.

I am hovever agree that we need people with vested interest in these community.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i agree with you maudib... wow, imagine that... the mps need to be more in touch with their constituency... spend more time within the constituency... have a full functioning office there and work in their constituency... that is more practical...
                                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                                X