• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sass? - Something is rotten with our statistics

Policies (part 6): Something is rotten with our statistics

JAMES MOSS-SOLOMON

Sunday, December 11, 2011

THE question of accuracy and timeliness of official figures has been a contentious discussion for many years. I have personally made recommendations to the Caricom Heads of Government regarding the need for these essential tools of planning. My recommendations have been passed over and there is little change.

As a result of the non-compliance with this simple request we continue to base much of our planning on wrong principles as we attempt to justify expenditures and returns. In the case of the country it is largely done with borrowed funds that never get repaid.

Cruise ship visitors about to go on a tour in Falmouth.

It is much the same for the private sector who complains about the terms and conditions of loan financing, and who never mix their own capital in equity.

So they cling to the illusion that they are not responsible for their own predicament, and blame banks and the Government for their non-performance. They do not care to keep accurate accounts and don't want to show their true worth to others in a transparent way, and then they still feel justified to ask for loans, grants and incentives.

Mike Henry, when in Opposition, raised some pertinent points about the accuracy of the population census and claimed that we had three million people. He may have been right, but on coming to power he did not pursue this line. The possible reason is that with a greater population and the same Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the GDP per capita would be significantly less, and we would look more like Guyana and Haiti, rather than Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago. Reality would then come home to roost, but our politicians would not seem so great!

One of our great "pillars of the economy" — tourism — is another fictional success, in particular the sub-sector of cruise shipping. The major error is a basic one and starts with a miscount of the visitor numbers. The source of the statistics, by definition, states that the numbers are derived from the manifest, and not the number of persons that come ashore to spend the day and enjoy our tours.

So, for example, if I had a boat with 5,000 passengers and 50 came ashore, but next week my boat had 8,000 passengers and 50 came ashore, we would register a 60 per cent increase in visitor arrivals. Really?
    Now, the self-deception would be quite harmless except for decisions that are made based on those figures. The great announcements by ministers over the years based on these figures have had a serious effect.

For people listening who had no employment, there was an immediate sense of job availability at the land attractions, in the transportation sector, craft vending, restaurants, and, of course, some sex. They left where they were living to go to places with no infrastructure, and set up themselves in squatter settlements that damaged the environment.

In the face of the reality of no "golden profits", squalor turned to crime and violence, and as the old song said (paraphrased), "on a damp and grey Jamaica morn, another little child is born in the ghetto". And life continues to become more hopeless, based on wrong figures and overexuberance.

For the Government side, the fictitious numbers provide a convenient basis for cruise shipping lines to negotiate and demand our investment (read borrowing) for facilities at the ports for people who never come ashore. A case in point should be a careful analysis of our "investment" in Falmouth as it is very current. Important questions should be total cost, our portion, our investment in shore facilities and infrastructure adjacent to the port and also in the town, the disruption of commerce, the cost of new roads, and the dislocation of people.

When we have done that we should also check the port fee concessions, and the lower head taxes involved with the "investment", when we will recover our money and who apart from the cruise line gets rich as a result of the fiasco. This could really be a great forensic audit of a possibly poor investment of taxpayers' money based on fantasy. But as usual, I suppose that no one in authority will be bold enough to test that.

I understand that most attractions that were counting on the new "Falmouth Bounty" have been extremely disappointed thus far, and some are about to go into receivership. Please note that all of this comes as tourism is "booming and doing better than the rest of the world".

The international figures claim that cruise shipping worldwide is in excess of US$240 billion, and that the Caribbean accounts for 50 per cent. So by my reckoning, that should be around US$120 billion.

Now, Jamaica, with three full cruise ship ports (and a partial one in Port Antonio), could account for say, five per cent of that traffic. By my simple arithmetic that should be US$6 billion, but our statistics show tourism as contributing about US$2 billion per annum, and that includes the stopover visitors.

Believe me, something is rotten with our figures and there are a few implications of a serious nature based on all the possibilities I can think of:
    1) The figures are totally wrong.

2) The persons who disembark are really much fewer than those that stay aboard.

3) They all come off but spend only a few dollars each.

4) Our only revenue is the per passenger fee and we provide cheap water, and lovely, unused facilities for this "great privilege".

5) The per passenger fee is less than the cost of running the port and the cheap water supplies, and we have invested in a business that will never make us a profit now or in the future.

6) The ship owners are much smarter negotiators than we are.

7) Some really corrupt crap is taking place.

As we say in Jamaica, "pick yu choice, the whole a dem nice", but not so for us, the taxpayers.

These two sources of error are really the tip of an iceberg that threatens to sink our country, as we continue to massage the "feel-good factors" that leave a blurred area between politics and good governance.
    It applies to many other areas, but businesses and government will no doubt continue to make decisions on wrong assumptions and wrong intentions.

I am so sorry to do this in the middle of our season of believing and hope for redemption, but Christ came to save our souls, not our statistics. This job properly rests with our bureaucrats, and the intellectuals at our several universities.

Blessings, peace, joy, and love to you and your families as we face the really silly season of false promises.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1gHJXmIDb
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Mek Sass stay there and believe every word Sprucer say and think it is gospel. Every time I go to an assignment at the airport and we bring up the topic of arrivals, the marketing/admin people there all say the same thing, they don't know where the Minister gets his information from as those are not the same ones they have.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

You not counting the cruise ships, boats from Cuba, boats from Haiti, Fishermen from Lime Cay.....

Comment

Believe me, something is rotten with our figures and there are a few implications of a serious nature based on all the possibilities I can think of:

4) Our only revenue is the per passenger fee and we provide cheap water, and lovely, unused facilities for this "great privilege".

5) The per passenger fee is less than the cost of running the port and the cheap water supplies, and we have invested in a business that will never make us a profit now or in the future.

As we say in Jamaica, "pick yu choice, the whole a dem nice", but not so for us, the taxpayer.

I am so sorry to do this in the middle of our season of believing and hope for redemption, but Christ came to save our souls, not our statistics. This job properly rests with our bureaucrats, and the intellectuals at our several universities.

Comment

...add staff who come and go through the doors at the arrival terminal, people who travel to kingston and back on business etc...
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Why would anyone want to come off a ship in Falmouth. If on thinks about it, Falmouth's claim to fame or selling point is that it is close to Ocho Rios and MoBay. The government made a big mistake. The should have went all out and developed Port Antonio, which is Jamaica's, if not the Caribbean's best potential tourism product. Shops selling junk Bob Marley T-shirts and touris beads are not what we should be promoting.

Comment

You need to talk to 'Sas.

Comment

This has been set in motion from more than 10 years. I recall John Maxwell writing columns cussing PJ about this development. Him did vex bad bad.

Comment

For one people who stay on ship are not counted as visitors. Only the ones who actually come off the boat is actually counted.

They all come off but spend only a few dollars each.
                  Isn't that our fault? If we can't attract tourist then they simply will save their money for other ports.

Again we have so much advantage that we are not using, our rich cultural heritage and attraction we harrass the people and expect them to stay and give us their money.

So Ochi or Mobay has never made a profit? You think the cruiseline would be investing in ports if it was so not profitable? It is up to us. See our airports weren't profitable until it was privatised, a now we know the money can make. As long as government run it there will be no profit, the minute it sell "BAM".

The fact is the same figure Barlett is quoting is the same one that has been used for many years. There was no desputing it then so how has it changed??? I was there to celebrate 2 million tourist arrived in Jamaica and the format hasn't changed. Can anybody contest that?

The fact is we should be attracting more visitors and making more money.

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Don't even talk to me about Port Antonio. I was there through the 70s, say the cruise ship pass Titchfield everyday. Was there when the MP Anthony Abrahams was minister of Tourism and didn't do one thing to help Porty Tourism and if you want to know yes, he was (JLP).

I saw Tourism died in Port Antonio because the local people lack vision and I have some people I knew in high places in Portland Tourism at the time. Portlanders think since we have the best others will come. Ochi build with people like Leo Wineman and others selling it.

Government neglect Portland yes but until people in the east(Portland, St.Mary & St.Thomas wake up and start to think of putting Portland on the map politicians are going to take advantage. There are few project that is taking place like the maroon village and some little things but Portland need to wake up and unite. In a town like Port Antonio you didn't even have an active Chamber of Commerce for many years. The most organise town in Portland is Buff Bay and I have to say credit to people like the mi friends them at St.Georges United for their work although they need to take it to the next level.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

wow... i'm glad sumaddy write bot dis foolishniss de govt been putting out... wha day mi dung a yawd and when mi guh chu s ess, , negril, mobay, ochi dunns river mi cudda count de amount a touriss dem... de all-inclusive hotels dem did book tuh bout 60-75% capacity... mi guh down a falmouth, there was a big ship pon de dock and very few people came ashore...

de local peeple dem seh that it how it has been since the two biggest ship dem come to the port... big ship and few touriss a spend wid de locals... something must be done to remediy this situation... the port just cannot be used to re-supply deeze ships...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

falmouth has potential... real development is needed...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

.... unuh need fi easy wid the propoganda .... every independent tourism agency has acknowledged that Jamaica's tourist arrivals have increased despite the recession. Unuh need fi stop!
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

From day one Sickko has been on a path to try and discredit the man. Again, it must be a comrade thing mek unuh dislike people that are effective.

Step away from the ignorance fi a day nuh?

Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett and Director of Tourism, John Lynch have come in for high praise from the hierarchy of the World Travel Awards for their exceptional guidance of Jamaica’s tourism industry and for ensuring that the destination remains on the forefront of world tourism. Bartlett and Lynch were presented with the Caribbean Destination Achievement Award at the 2011 World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Gala on October 19, 2011, for their outstanding work in spearheading the growth of the tourism sector during the global economic recession.

In a citation which was read prior to them receiving the prestigious award Bartlett and Lynch were lauded for their innovative approach and astute leadership in ensuring growth in the tourism sector despite what has been described as the most challenging economic period in modern history. The citation in part read “virtually every strata of every industry in the world has faced unprecedented challenges, with many high-profile names unable to survive in this brave new world of austerity. Inevitably, the travel and tourism industry has mirrored the effects taking place in the wider macro-economy. However, during these times Jamaica has seen great organisations, led by great leaders, come good in the face of adversity.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/node/26472
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              Policies (part 6): Something is rotten with our statistics

JAMES MOSS-SOLOMON

Sunday, December 11, 2011

THE question of accuracy and timeliness of official figures has been a contentious discussion for many years. I have personally made recommendations to the Caricom Heads of Government regarding the need for these essential tools of planning. My recommendations have been passed over and there is little change.

As a result of the non-compliance with this simple request we continue to base much of our planning on wrong principles as we attempt to justify expenditures and returns. In the case of the country it is largely done with borrowed funds that never get repaid.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1gHJXmIDb
                              mi tole unnu seh most ah dem trinket lovin CruiseShippers overweight
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X