Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM Holness Misspeaks Again

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    I WOULD like you to afford me the privilege and opportunity to respond to an article that was published in The Gleaner dated Wednesday, December 7, titled 'Holness lauds JLP for lower crime numbers', written by Daraine Luton.

In the article, the prime minister was quoted as saying, "Today, we have reduced murders to 1,000 and it is trending down. It means one of your brothers or one of your sisters is alive today because the Labour Party put in place policies that ensure that crime goes down."

The prime minister was making reference to the murder rate falling from 1,600 to 1,000 this calendar year, compared with the previous one. However, the prime minister failed to demonstrate how his government contributed to this reduction. I find this comment by the Prime Minister Holness very disingenuous, as the reduction should be attributed to the hard work and dedication of the men and women in our security forces and not the policies of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP)-led government.

The reduction in the crime numbers is as a direct result of the extradition of Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, a known JLP strongman and the alleged leader of the notorious Shower Posse, which was based in the JLP stronghold of Tivoli Gardens, west Kingston. I, therefore, argue that there is a direct correlation in the crime numbers trending down because of Mr Coke's extradition

I further find it mind-boggling for the prime minister to forcibly argue and campaign on the issue of the crime numbers trending down, as this was fortuitously because of JLP's inaction in getting any new legislations. I say this on the basis that over the past year, the JLP government has taken no policy or any new anti-crime bills to Parliament. So, how can the prime minister have the nerve to substantiate such a position?

In closing, this is another classic example of the prime minister misspeaking or conveniently misrepresenting the facts for political expediency.

Dwight O. Bernard
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../letters4.html

OK repeat after me:
    "The reduction in the crime numbers is as a direct result of the extradition of Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, a known JLP strongman and the alleged leader of the notorious Shower Posse, which was based in the JLP stronghold of Tivoli Gardens, west Kingston. I, therefore, argue that there is a direct correlation in the crime numbers trending down because of Mr Coke's extradition".
    [/COLOR]

Comment

even Lazie, Maudib and Nelson know dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

..and Portia would have said???
        Peter R

Comment

Immaterial.

Comment

HAHA .... Lets see ... where is Tesha Miller? What does Dudus being extradicted have to do with Tesha?

Where is the top brass of the Dog Paw gang? Again ... What does Dudus being extradicted have to do with that gang?

There was a hitman ... leader of the stone crusher gang .... one who wrote in his diary that he ate gun powder etc .... he was killed ... what the fornication does Dudus being extradicted have to do with him being killed?

The Police Commish spoke of the assistance the 6 crime bills gave the force, what does Dudus have to do with those crime bills?

I can understand people wanting to give credit to the PNP for something they couldn't do .... but it is way pass pathetic now that ppl still trying to put lipstick on a pig.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yuh tek policy to parliament now?

Dudus extradition surely is a big part, but policies and practices are also a part. The police now have a more unrestricted rein than possibly anytime since independence (thanks to public pressure and thin electoral margins). The shift of the balance of fear during those SoEs in 2010 still have a lingering effect.

I still think the JLP and PNP were both too eager to end the SoE too soon.

Comment

But Holness is right then, dont it? If it was Bruce who turned over Dudus to Uncle Sam then they were responsible for the reduction of crime, ask Ben Dover and see if him nuh agree
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Tek a guess still.. humour me!

The point I am making is that it is pure politics at work, regardless of who is at the helm they would always take credit for positives, warranted or not.

Policies or not one cannot deny that the reduction occurred under the JLP watch... so obviosly this is something they will milk to the fullest! especially as the silly season gets in gear.
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X