• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very Good Letter! (The Media)

Who do the media think they are?
    Friday, December 09, 2011

Dear Editor,

The prime minister has come under serious rebuke for recent comments about the media, and notwithstanding the fact that the PNP has also been very critical of the media in the recent past, it is election time, so Mrs Simpson Miller and her affiliates have latched on to the opportunity and assigned themselves the job of being the protectors of the media. As is customary, the press, media and journalists' associations have all taken up arms and are now threatening to seek the assistance of their powerful international parent bodies to which they are affiliate members Who do the media think they are and why do they believe they are above being criticised?

The hypocrisy of it all is that a large body of the media practitioners know that some of their colleagues are being very biased and partial and spin the news to suit their own political leaning or other agenda, and they all sit quietly and say nothing about it. Also, we the listening and reading public can deduce over time, based on trends, the biases that are being practised by some media houses and their practitioners. So, for the media to respond to every criticism towards them and repeatedly decry "a threat on democracy" is really an insult to the intelligence of the public, because their bias is clear to see and some journalists and media houses are no longer subtle in their approach, but are quite blatant and obvious. My point is, if we are so much into democracy and freedom of expression, if the prime minister or any citizen is of the view that the media is biased, why shouldn't they have the right to criticise them?

President Barack Obama has criticised Fox News and other Republican-leaning media houses many times, without much backlash. The difference in those countries is that the media houses declare their political biases, while in Jamaica everybody parades and disguises themselves as being neutral and impartial when in fact some of them are mere public relations arms and propaganda machines of either the PNP or JLP. How is being critical of the media a threat to democracy? Aren't the unchecked biases, the spinning and distorting of the news more of a threat to democracy? Also, for the prime minister and other national leaders to remain quiet and not alert the public to the biased practices of some of these media houses, wouldn't that be a greater threat to democracy, and couldn't that be considered a dereliction of duty on the part of the prime minister if he does not act to ensure the public is fed with accurate and impartial information?

The underlying problem here is that the media understand the immense power they have, and anyone who criticises or attempts to hold them accountable or to a higher standard will most definitely feel the might of their power, as the prime minister is now feeling. The media want to remain like Al Capone and be untouchable. That is why they have vigorously fought off any attempts to have a regulatory framework put in place to monitor their industry, but people are now seeing through them clearer and clearer each day.

Richard O Patterson
    richie2sweet@yahoo.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/Who-do-the-media-think-they-are_10352004#ixzz1g2H0kulE

mi know two postah on yah should be firmly defending Holiness (based on their particular anti-media campaign) .. unfortunately household rules apply.. especially during election time..

lol ! woiiee !

Comment

The article does make some salient points ...which points of media hypocrisy (or balance) I have made repeatedly regarding the Jamaican media I follow...the Gleaner and the Observer

The writer's main objective seems to be defending the prime minister, a typical politician who is concerned with media bias only when he perceives it adversely affecting his interests.

Poor Prince Andrew
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

You notice PAJ said they were going to set up a group where people could complain too, all now not even gunfire about it.

Yes they should defend themselves and I will not support how the PM did it, but they also have to field some of the blame. The PNP did the same thing in Annotto Bay in 2007.

If a politician or some public offical feels they are been victimised by the media, where do they turn, who they complain to?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It is clear as day to me.

We the people keep up the real slackness by the biased attitude.

many of the common ills are common to BOTH sides and people only react or take umbrage when it happen to dem chosen side.

PNP used to be the masters of this, but it look like the JLP learned well and them can win Oscars too for their feigned consternation.

Comment

He failed to address the direct singling out of media practioners by politicians at mass rallies where emotions are on a high...I have a serious problem with that
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Me too. Given our political culture I think that was irresponsible.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yuh bettah behave yuhself before wi add yuh to di list.. is den yuh will have serious problem..

Comment

Poor you...who is we?
                  I may have more links in Kingston to make sure you cant even go to supermarket..better you kibbah
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Where are the smileys? the above two posts are not very encouraging ~sigh~
                    Peter R

Comment

lol ! woiee !

Yuh can find Kingston country yute ?

Comment

unuh behave nuh!!
                        Peter R

Comment

Working...
                        X