Apologise to Rastas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologise to Rastas

JUNCTION, St Elizabeth - OPPOSITION People's National Party (PNP) caretaker for the Southfield Division Lilieth Clacken has called on Prime Minister Andrew Holness and his ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) to apologise for what she described as crimes against Rastafarians at Coral Gardens, St James in 1963.

"I am asking Andrew Holness and the Jamaica Labour Party in general, out of principle, to apologise to the Rastafari community for the crime that was committed in Coral Gardens and to stop [behaving as though it's] a joke business," Clacken, a Rastafarian, told a PNP mass meeting in Junction Tuesday night.

She was referring to an incident on Holy Thursday of April 1963 when, according to newspaper reports from the period, eight people including three Rastafarians and two policemen were killed in a clash related to land use.

The incident led to widespread suppression of the then youthful Rastafari movement at a time when the JLP held political power and that party's founder and National Hero Sir Alexander Bustamante served as Jamaica's first prime minister.

Clacken took umbrage to what she said was a recent reference by Holness to a "Bustamante Rasta man".

Clacken suggested the reference by Holness amounted to an insult to all Rastas.

She contrasted what she suggested was a discriminatory position taken by Bustamante against Rastas to that of his cousin Michael Manley, who served as prime minister and leader of the PNP a decade later.

"I don t want Andrew to behave like this is any joke business because we (Rastafari) don't forget, and at the same time we don't forget what Michael Manley did for Rastafari people in this country and black people in general," said Clacken.

"Any time I see a Rastafari wearing a green band (JLP colours) I know say im don't know im history...," she declared.

Rastafarians have always contended that they were the wronged party in the Coral Gardens incident and that the Jamaican State has a responsibility to apologise to them for persection on the day and in subsequent years.
    Clacken is to challenge the JLP's Gregory Myers for the Southfield Division whenever local government elections are called. Myers is the son of incumbent councillor Shirley Myers who has served notice of retirement from active politics.

Tuesday night's meeting followed a PNP tour of SE St Elizabeth. Businessman Richard Parchment is to contest the seat on behalf of the Opposition party, challenging the JLP's Member of Parliament Frank Witter.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...#ixzz1fwNDNu6s

Mike Henry did that long ago...

More distractions for the silly season...can someone start talking about the issues and plans for the future? is that too much to ask?

Comment

Did you know that Rasta were implicated in the 1950s in a bid to topple the NW Manley Govt? Something about poisoning the water supply?

Comment

how much get killed?

Comment

"Any time I see a Rastafari wearing a green band (JLP colours) I know say im don't know im history...," she declared.

Comment

Not Rastas boss..it was led by Rev Henry, who later had a bakery in May Pen area...they actually hung one...

Comment

Can we get someone from the Manley family to apologize for Norman Manley's persecution of Marcus Garvey, when he was the crown prosecutor.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

No star it was Rev Henry and him son from America, with the fridge of guns nuh suh?

Comment

Politics season. Black American have to go stop vote for the Democrats.

Comment

certainly silly season at hand.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I seem to recall that there were rasta(s) in the gang. I also seem to recall a Warieka and st Catherine connection. Nuff rasta used to reside in Warieka...

I will go back and make more inquiries...

Comment

Anyhow, that is before my time...probably in your days....lol.

Comment

young bud like me?

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                            Can we get someone from the Manley family to apologize for Norman Manley's persecution of Marcus Garvey, when he was the crown prosecutor.
                            There's a difference between persecute an prosecute

Doan mek mi haffi kick off yuh face

JC Household PR Office
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

He was persecuted by Norman Manley in his role as the prosecutor. Mi haffi laugh how we island mek certain people national hero.
                              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X