supporters heckle journalists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supporters heckle journalists

JOURNALISTS covering the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) mass meeting in Port Antonio on Monday night were heckled by party supporters after Prime Minister Andrew Holness accused the media of bias.

The pronouncement by Holness that the media cannot be trusted to report the positive messages delivered from the campaign platforms, among them the announcement that two new high schools are to be established in the parish, riled up supporters who began threatening media personnel who were present and accused them of being biased.

"The media that is here is not going to carry that; they only want to hear some suss, but I don't have any to give them," Holness told the large crowd of Labourites.

According to the prime minister, "development for the people don't sell paper or make newscast."

This was all some supporters needed to further chide the media personnel.
    "Yu nah write down what de big man say, mek sure you write weh him say," one angry man shouted to this reporter.
    "You better meck sure we see it in the Observer tomorrow," a group of women threatened.

As Holness pressed home his point, sections of the crowd became more restless, fuelling concerns among several of the media workers that if allowed to continue the verbal abuse would escalate to physical attacks.
    "Is so dem media people wicked and lie," one supporter yelled, while glaring angrily at a media worker.

The videographers and photographers were also heckled by some supporters who became verbally abusive at one point and accused the men of blocking their view of the platform.

A videographer from one television station which was singled out by the prime minister at another mass rally for what he said was an inaccurate report, said some supporters sought to intimidate him and accused him of not filming what the prime minister was saying.

With no designated spaces allotted to the working media at any of these mass rallies, media workers must jostle with the throng of supporters to get a vantage point from which to see and hear.

In his address, Holness told the crowd that after they have finished running behind the music truck and gathering for mass rallies they will want to know how their lives will be better.

"The media that is here is not going to carry that," he said. "You can't depend on them, so I am talking to the people of Jamaica directly, unfiltered."
    Holness reiterated that he speaks directly to the people of the country and does not need another medium to give opinions, interpretation and translation.

Also addressing the rally, Daryl Vaz, the minister without portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister with responsibility for telecommunications and public sector efficiency, accused the electronic media of airing other political advertisements while holding back those of the JLP.
    "None of our paid ads are on television because dem say the lawyers not happy, but the others are on," he told the supporters.

According to Vaz, "now that I don't have the information portfolio me don't put my mouth ah ground and talk".

He added further that comments made by senior members of the PNP are tantamount to public mischief, even as he accused the media of disseminating this false information.

These public comments, he insisted, are due to desperation.
    "Now that Andrew call it we have to be on alert because dem going to try everything and anything," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1fqQZWwJZ

This Matter of Grammar

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
    "The media that is here is not going to carry that; they only want to hear some suss, but I don't have any to give them," Holness told the large crowd of Labourites.

"The media that is here is not going to carry that," he said. "You can't depend on them, so I am talking to the people of Jamaica directly, unfiltered."
    Surely the education minister and prime minister is aware that the word “media” is plural (the singular form is “medium”). Therefore, his statement should have been, “The media that are here are not going….”

Media is a plural noun and therefore should take a plural verb. Surely he would not have attempted to say, “The buses that is here is not going to….”

Sorry about the slight hijacking of your thread, Skeng D.

Comment

Really?

media "behaves as a collective noun", and is "acceptable in standard English with either singular or plural"

Comment

ahahahahahahahahah why yuh run guh delete yuh post? ahahahahahahahahah clown...

Comment

This is such a dangerous situation. And to add to this the idiots in the G2K published contact information of managers in the RJR/TVJ group, telling their supporters to 'target them'.

I recall when Seaga attacked the media at a function in Montego Bay when it was obvious he was going to be unseated as PM and the JLP has continued this insipid behavior ever since.

Trust me I had high hopes for this so called "bright young" PM but the more he talks the more he lets me down and his singling out a cameraman at a mass rally was so stupid.

Camera men don't write stories, any fool should know that.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Running and yuh running and yuh running away but yuh cyaan run away from yourself Skeng D...ahahahahaahahahahaha

Comment

This one is fi Skeng D di Usain Bolt of the forum:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y72jRiPOxw

Comment

A sitting PM should not undermine the media like that

The media helps or hurts depending on how you use it. The media is also an intergral part of demoracy....Holness should be more of a statesman.

Comment

Shades of Next time, next time?

I agree it is highly counterproductive.

Comment

Yu like man who bleach face and get charge fi murder eh? Draw another tune....

Comment

That make the tune less relevant?

Comment

Hold dis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mn2e...eature=related

Comment

big man .......mi deh pan mi pool side a wid mi laptop a luk dung pan d city...........nuh have TIME fi d likle pikney games

bout run......................n mi pick up seh u a big man to.. at least 20 years older than mi .............. u r a SAD CASE

Comment

So you didn't delete your post?

Comment

so?

Comment

Working...
                              X