Should gays serve in Parliament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should gays serve in Parliament?

FORMER prime minister Bruce Golding's infamous 'Not in my Cabinet' statement to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in 2009 when pressed about gays in Jamaican representational politics, ignited fiery discussion on the previously taboo subject which drew widespread reaction.

Golding came out forcefully in the BBC interview, stating that he would not allow known homosexuals to be a part of his Cabinet, a sentiment lauded for the most part in Jamaica, but shredded in parts of Britain and the United States, countries that are tolerant to such sexual conduct.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1fZ0MxUPt

More likely than not, some already are.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

"Should"? They Will, Regardless of Our Views!

In the final analysis, does our personal view matter? Life is an evolutionary process, whether we like it or not, and so practices, attitudes, cultures, customs, institutions, education, etc. are all continually evolving, albeit usually slowly (so slowly that in most cases we rarely notice).

What I’m saying here is that, regardless of our views, the day will come when attitudes to gays in Jamaica will have evolved to the point where they will sit in the executive, the legislature and the judiciary. This, quite simply, is inevitable.

Comment

Historian, where have you been? They are already there...maybe not openly.

Comment

Lol (Where Have I Been)

Originally posted by Exile View Post
          Historian, where have you been? They are already there...maybe not openly.
          I believe you are certainly correct, Exile my friend (lol)!

On the matter of where have I been (I’m interpreting your rhetorical question in a slightly more literal manner), I’ve been keeping a low profile while watching developments in Guyana following their November 28 general elections. I can see an extremely problematic scenario down the road, because the new Ramotar government will be seeking to govern in a curious situation where the Guyana National Assembly now has a majority of members from the combined opposition parties!

Given the historically hostile nature of Guyana’s racially divided politics, it should be very interesting to see which laws (including the national budget) the government will get passed! We sometimes criticize our Westminster system of governance here in Jamaica, but to me it has clear advantages when compared with the Republic of Guyana (and probably also the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago).

Comment

yeah it is going to be interesting in Guyana. I keep telling people there are advantages and disadvantages to every system and I am glad you pointed it out.

Nuff people living in America think the republican system is so great but when you ask them about the electoral college you get no comment.

Interesting days ahead for Guyana
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Guyana...is a hotbed waiting to explode....so much resources, so little people to take advantage, so many want to exploit...
              Trinidad....new government has disappointed many...expect some social upheaval....people sounding restless....and hard times to come.

Comment

Typical of the Jamaican newspapers , This is a priority ? Instead of focusing on our biggest issue , corruption.Holness has so far indicated he will continue with the lip service.So he called for an audit ? like everyone else before him , so he said it wont be tolerated like everyone else before him .

If he had played a simple card , he would have the PNP and Jamaicans at home and abroad standing on their heads, if he said an audit to be followed by a recommendation that parliament give the OCG prosecutorial powers , that would have opened the gate for a new era.

The pnp would gladly accept it t ,knowing Henry would be thrown under the bus, i.e Jail , and the JLP/Holness would be taken serious as a champion to root out corruption.Robertson would be on his gaurd along with all the other thieves, politican terrorist.

Oppourtunity lost , so Henry resigns we audit and it dies down.Typical but gays must be in the cabinent is an issue of great importance in the newspapers ? as if they dont rule behind closed doors !
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

YES!!!!! Aren't they Jamaicans too? People should be elected based on qualification and competence .... their sexual preference is nobody's business.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

More important matters to deal with , to put that on the agenda is ridiculous.
                    Poverty & unemployment at astronomical levels corruption endemic and that is your agenda ?

YES ?..smh

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                      Typical of the Jamaican newspapers , This is a priority ? Instead of focusing on our biggest issue , corruption.Holness has so far indicated he will continue with the lip service.So he called for an audit ? like everyone else before him , so he said it wont be tolerated like everyone else before him .

If he had played a simple card , he would have the PNP and Jamaicans at home and abroad standing on their heads, if he said an audit to be followed by a recommendation that parliament give the OCG prosecutorial powers , that would have opened the gate for a new era.

The pnp would gladly accept it t ,knowing Henry would be thrown under the bus, i.e Jail , and the JLP/Holness would be taken serious as a champion to root out corruption.Robertson would be on his gaurd along with all the other thieves, politican terrorist.

Oppourtunity lost , so Henry resigns we audit and it dies down.Typical but gays must be in the cabinent is an issue of great importance in the newspapers ? as if they dont rule behind closed doors !
                      .. you seem to think giving the OCG prosecutorial powers is the answer. Why does the OCG need additional powers? All he has to do is find and provide the DPP with evidence that can stand up in court.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

More important matters to deal with , to put that on the agenda is ridiculous.
                        Poverty & unemployment at astronomical levels corruption endemic and that is your agenda ?

YES ?..smh
                        .... equal rights for all Jamaicans isn't important?

Comment

lol....30 plus and counting and the DPP cant find one ? after how much years , so the OCG is incompetent , dissolve his position or sack him.

Comment

Answer the bloody question , with Poverty & unemployment at astronomical levels corruption endemic and that is your agenda ?

Comment

lol....30 plus and counting and the DPP cant find one ? after how much years , so the OCG is incompetent , dissolve his position or sack him.

In a criminal trial where does the burden of proof lie? I didn't say he was incompetent .... please don't go there ...

Comment

Working...
                              X