Thwaites ready to debate Holness on Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thwaites ready to debate Holness on Education

Shadow minister for education, Reverend Ronald Thwaites is supporting a call by the Jamaica Teachers Association for a debate on education, as part of political campaigning for the next general election.
    In a release last evening, Thwaites said he was ready to debate Prime Minister and Education Minister Andrew Holness.

According to Thwaites, education and training must be the foundation on which Jamaica seeks to revive its economy, improve the life chances of its citizens and build a platform of growth and prosperity.
    The People's National Party spokesman has accused the Prime Minister of abandoning the efficient management and guidance of the education system in favour of politicking.

editorial@gleanerjm.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Andy won't stand a chance.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Andy won't stand a chance.
      Thwaites seeking his 15 minutes of fame. Why didn't he ask for the debate before the JDC set the format? Him tink him slick. Yes he does talk a good game so on delivery he'd certainly beat Andrew. However since being appointed Spokesperson on Education ... have you heard him put a proposal on the table?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

http://216.119.88.230/forum1/showthread.php?t=11839

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        .. have you heard him put a proposal on the table?

Comment

Note, that was before he was Spokesperson for Education. In any case... after A-Step was introduced what was his reaction? He knocked it down. AStep a program that was implemented to prevent the "advance a person in school unless the rudiments of the grade they are in have been satisfied."

Its kinda like our friend on this forum that had a problem with J'cans being sent off willy nilly to the states without regards for our laws and bitched and complained when Bruce did what he was asking for.

Good try still.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Note, that was before he was Spokesperson for Education. In any case... after A-Step was introduced what was his reaction? He knocked it down. AStep a program that was implemented to prevent the "advance a person in school unless the rudiments of the grade they are in have been satisfied."

Its kinda like our friend on this forum that had a problem with J'cans being sent off willy nilly to the states without regards for our laws and bitched and complained when Bruce did what he was asking for.

Good try still.

good try???

u c the question u asked? LAZIE

have you heard him put a proposal on the table?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
              good try???

u c the question u asked? LAZIE

have you heard him put a proposal on the table?
              I know you like to play dandy shandy.

"However since being appointed Spokesperson on Education ... have you heard him put a proposal on the table?"

In case you forgot .... Waite was spokesperson until Portia shuffled the deck recently.

Comment

so it is new brain him get now ie after the appointment?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
                  so it is new brain him get now ie after the appointment?

Did you read the article? If you did ... are you sufferiing from comred comprehension? Let me take it step by step!

Article you posted! Thwaites' proposal .... from Dec. 2007.

Thwaites wants Parliament to amend the Education Act. And he wants the act and all related regulations and codes to ensure that mastery is achieved in each grade before a student is promoted to the next grade. "There is absolutely no justification," the advocate argues, "for promoting a student in school to a higher grade when they have failed to achieve the standards of the previous grade." Actually, there are powerful reasons, if not exactly a justification.

Ugly picture

The MP wants Parlia-ment to adopt the principle that "we do not advance a person in school unless the rudiments of the grade they are in have been satisfied."

Addressed! If people think its not enough, thats another matter ....

Edu-Consultation: Alternative Secondary Transitional Education Programme (ASTEP) Policy Review

Submitted by katherine on April 14, 2011
                  Last month, the Ministry of Education (MoE), announced the Government’s new programme for children who have not attained mastery on the Grade Four Literacy Test and therefore not able to sit the Grade Six Achievement Test for placement in secondary schools. These students will be moved into what is now known as the Alternative Secondary Transitional Education Programme (ASTEP).
                  The ASTEP is, according to the MoE, 'designed to provide a safety net for children at the end of the primary level who will require special intensive support and intervention to advance to the next stage.' Each child will remain in the programme for a maximum of two years, over which time their progress will be closely monitored. The programme will focus on developing the literacy skills of the students and ensuring that they are able to successfully transition to the secondary level. The idea behind this programme is that some children need additional time and more specific support before moving on to the secondary level.

Comment

Agree with you Lazie, Thwaites seems to be a decent man who strikes me as little more than just a talker.
                    BTW do you really think that extradition requests are willy nilly, or that the people sought for extradition are not criminals?. I really don't understand what you were trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
                      Agree with you Lazie, Thwaites seems to be a decent man who strikes me as little more than just a talker.
                      BTW do you really think that extradition requests are willy nilly, or that the people sought for extradition are not criminals?. I really don't understand what you were trying to say.
                      To be fair "willy nilly" were my words as I didn't want to post anything long.

Prior to the Dudus Saga, a Jamaican was extradicted and after being shipped off he was charged in the States for offenses that he wasn't extradicted for. The gov't then insisted that he be sent back and Uncle Sam said hell no. Anybody remember when there was a period of NO EXTRADTICTIONS?

There is an ite who was very vocal then about it and seeing then he was an advocate for RIGHTS of Jamaicans I respected his position and using the internet to find out more about the story and seeing I'm no expert in anything muchless law .... I agreed with his stance then.

However, because of politics and hypocrisy ..... all that went out the window he now portrays himself as a bitter clownrade ...must be the influence of Don1.

Comment

give up nuh daawdy

Comment

Thwaites is not so decent as you want to make him. He has had his fair share of controversy behind him. Good speaker yes but don't make him lilly white.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Not many can out talk Thwaites and come across sounding as sincere as he does. Execution is another matter though. Post office and coffee have felt the pain.

Comment

Lazie at this point it's not about Thwaites putting forward a proposal. It's about Why education is not part of the debate. What is wrong with you?

Seriously Joshua should ah juss leff unnuh inna illiteracy to rhatid.

Can't uou see the importance of education to Ja? Boss it's national security right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X