X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Read, Chinese Land Purchase Rejected

Iceland rejects Chinese bid for resort land

By ANNA ANDERSEN, Associated Press – 33 minutes ago
    REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) — Iceland on Friday rejected a controversial application by one of China's wealthiest entrepreneurs to purchase land for a resort, saying there was no precedent for a foreigner to own such a large tract.

Developer Huang Nubo, a 55-year-old former Chinese government official, had been ready to pay 1 billion Icelandic kronur ($8.8 million) for the 30,639-hectare (75,700-acre) tract — a remote, treeless stretch on Iceland's north shore that represent 0.3 percent of the island.
    The scale of the proposed development had raised suspicions in Iceland, with some claiming it could be a covert attempt by Beijing to establish a toehold in the Arctic, but Huang defended the project as a high-end resort that would preserve the environment.

The Interior Ministry said in a statement "that it's not possible to look past how much land the company wanted to purchase ... and that there is no precedent for land on this scale being sold to foreigners."
    An Icelandic law that limits sales to foreigners "protect Iceland's independence and the sovereignty of the land and Icelander's opportunities to benefit from their resources," the ministry said.

Huang's representative in Iceland, Halldor Johannsson, said he was surprised by the rebuff, and added that there was nothing in Icelandic law specifically about the size of a parcel of land.

The Interior Ministry said the 1966 law on property requires that a company have a legal address in Iceland, that all directors have legal addresses in Iceland for at least five years, that four-fifth of the shares should be owned by Icelandic citizens and that Icelandic citizens should form a majority on the board of directors.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

"The Interior Ministry said the 1966 law on property requires that a company have a legal address in Iceland, that all directors have legal addresses in Iceland for at least five years, that four-fifth of the shares should be owned by Icelandic citizens and that Icelandic citizens should form a majority on the board of directors."

Interesting, I always advocate for us to get more out of these huge hotel investment. That a certain percentage be for local investors or workers.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

that sounds sensible, our politicians don't seem to be very patriotic based on some of their decisions, and train of thought

Comment

Do you think RUI would lose much if they had to give 5 or 7% to workers? This would also encourage the workers to see themselves as a part of the experience.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Clearly a clumsy gambit by Red China to get in on the new Great Game in the Arctic... now dominated by Russia, Norway,the US & Canada...and where currently China has no say as it is without an Arctic coastline or any strategic ally in that zone

As global warming opens up the Arctic sea lanes to shipping...cutting tremendous transit time & cost between N Europe and the Americas AND opening the hydrocarbon resources of the Arctic to exploitation...unnu aggo si more of this competition

Confucius say follow the Golden Rule...he who hath the Gold... Rules
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

who dem worship when them believe inna the Golden rule???? LOL

Comment

Mammon... mi duh tell yuh areddy
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

alright.

Comment

Interesting, I always advocate for us to get more out of these huge hotel investment. That a certain percentage be for local investors or workers.

You are a hundred percent sure you did the above on this site? Just a recap; give me your thoughts on AIs in Ja and how it relates to the local workers. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X