• Show
Clear All

• Not fit for Parliament

Not fit for Parliament

Published: Friday | November 25, 2011

Bishop Herro Blair

by Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter
    • Citizen Blair dissatisfied with some party choices for general election

REMOVING HIS hat as political ombudsman and delivering a blunt message as a Jamaican citizen, Bishop Herro Blair says there are some persons who have been selected by the two major political parties as their standard-bearers in the upcoming general election who should not have been given the nod as candidates.

Blair, who did not name individuals, said he was far from satisfied with the conduct of some politicians as the country inches closer to the announcement of a general election.

With Jamaicans set to go to the polls before year end, the political heat is increasing to boiling point and has spilled over on to the campaign trail where stinging barbs are being thrown by aspirants at political opponents.

As a result of one incident, general secretary of the People's National Party, Peter Bunting, has vowed to take Finance Minister Audley Shaw to court over alleged defamatory remarks made about him on a political platform.

"I can't say that I am satisfied with the conduct of all politicians. I will be dissatisfied if the jury on the day of decision elects some of these politicians," Blair told The Gleaner yesterday.

"In my opinion, there are some people who should not have been selected by their parties; as an individual I say that, as political ombudsman I can't go there because that does not fall in my remit," Blair pointed out.

He, however, cautioned that the electorate should carefully evaluate candidates before making a decision and urged Jamaicans not to judge persons offering themselves for representational politics on the basis of "hearsay" evidence.

Never instructed flock
    Blair said in his role as clergyman, he has never instructed his flock to vote for a specific political party.

"I told them you must look at the individuals that offer themselves for representation and based on the ability of such persons to represent you ... because when they represent you they are standing in your stead, then you must vote for that person regardless of the party that the person belongs to."

Putting on his hat as political ombudsman, Blair said he was expecting the political parties and their representatives to observe the political code of conduct during the election campaign.

Commenting on a breach of the political code of conduct, Blair noted that he has seen an increase in the placement of flags with party colours in political strongholds. "I am not in the position to take the flair and the fling out of anybody's party, but at the same time I would like to see them continue with the code," Blair instructed.

The political ombudsman said his office has been receiving about two complaints per day from politicians. However, he said many of those complaints have been trivial.

Dismissing the notion that the Office of the Political Ombudsman has no teeth, Blair said if he receives a complaint about an alleged criminal offence by a candidate, he had the option of sending the matter to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Report breaches
    At the same time, the political ombudsman said he could report breaches of the political code of conduct to Parliament and/or to the leaders of the political parties.

Blair argued that while it was not necessary for the candidates in the upcoming general election to sign the political code of conduct, the symbolism would be of value "because they would have a sense of personal responsibility".

Bishop Blair, in his capacity as political ombudsman, polices the conduct of candidates and political parties to ensure that they conform to the code.
    The political code of conduct calls for parties and their representatives to "declare their opposition to and rejection of the use of violence or intimidation by any of their members or supporters as a means of expressing political support or furthering political objectives".

It also urges political parties to "repudiate any action by their members or supporters calculated to provoke, threaten or intimidate the members or supporters of any other party".

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X