• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story with good ending...BROTHERS DELIVER BABY SISTER

By AZARD ALI Wednesday, November 23 2011

click on pic to zoom in

« prev photo next photo »
    Desher Lewis thought she would prepare her two young sons, Jimol, 12, and Jerome, nine, for the birth of their new sibling by using the internet to show them how doctors deliver babies. Never did she imagine that the boys would have to actually use the information to deliver their baby sister because an ambulance failed to turn up at their home in Claxton Bay on Sunday night. A doctor yesterday described the acts of Jimol and Jerome as miraculous, saying that the two boys are heroes in their own right.

Jimol and Jerome who are in Standards three and four at St Paul’s Anglican Primary School, San Fernando, live with their mother, Desher Lewis, 32, at St John’s Road, St Margarets Village. The woman’s scheduled date for delivery of her third child was today. Lewis’ husband is currently abroad, so her two children, Jimol and Jerome, are her only support in the family’s two-bedroom apartment. The mother told Newsday yesterday that she was forced to share some details with her young children, about her pregnancy and what they should expect in case she goes into labour.

Lewis said, “Jimol and Jerome would always ask me how babies are born. I didn’t think I should share such things with young children, but then I’m alone with them and anything could happen. I began to show Jimol and Jerome on the internet, step by step how doctors deliver babies.”

Not in her wildest dreams did Lewis ever believe that what she showed her children on the internet, would have to be put to use by them.

On Friday, Lewis began to experience labour pains and with assistance of her young children, Lewis packed her bags and went to the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) that evening. Jimol and Jerome stayed with Lewis’ sister, Tessa.

Lewis told the Newsday that she was attended to at SFGH and wheeled to the maternity ward where a bed was assigned to her. Lewis said, “But because the labour pains stopped, the doctors sent me home on Saturday evening. They told me to come back. I left the hospital about 6 pm.”

Five hours later a miracle was to happen, when at 11 pm, Lewis went into labour. The woman said she telephoned the Emergency Health Service (EHS). “But the pain keep coming strong. I called out to Jimol. When I tell him what happening, he told me to go to the bathroom.”

Lewis said she made another call to the EHS and she was informed that the ambulance would be leaving Mt Hope to come to her home, instead from bases closer to Claxton Bay. Lewis said that as she approached the bathroom, the “water bag” burst. She said both Jimol and Jerome began to cry. “Jerome was crying and looking out for the ambulance. Jimol was saying ‘mummy mummy, your water bag burst, go back to the bathroom. I was pacing up and down the living room and groaning,” Lewis said.

Jimol told the Newsday he told his mother to kneel down in the bathroom. The boy said, “I went and get some towels. Well, I see on the internet that you have to put the towels in case the baby fall. Yes, I get every towel in the house and put it under mummy.”

Jimol said that when his mother bawled out, he began to cry like his brother Jerome. He eventually telephoned his aunt Tessa, who began to instruct the children what to do.

At the family’s home yesterday, Tessa told the Newsday, “When I heard the children bawling in the apartment so, I get so confused. I broke every traffic light from La Romaine to come here. We also called the police, and they called EHS as well.” At midnight, Lewis would realise her worst nightmare. The woman said that EHS personnel telephoned and told her children that the ambulance arriving from Mt Hope, had been recalled to attend to an emergency. Lewis was informed that another ambulance was assigned.

Still kneeling in the bathroom, Lewis said she heard Jimol say, “‘Mummy, it look like the head coming and she have plenty hair.’ I was panicking so much, I started to groan. I don’t know how neighbours didn’t hear me. I hearing Jerome crying, but he too see the baby and I heard him say, ‘The baby head come and she spitting.’ Well, I couldn’t take it no more.”

Lewis said that her two young sons guided her to the bedroom, while holding the towel beneath her stomach. It was 1 am, and according to Lewis, the baby, a girl, was delivered as soon as she lay on her back. The mother said, “I see Jerome pick up the baby. Just as he saw on the internet, he placed the baby on my chest. Jerome started to wipe the baby.”

As Jerome wiped the baby and Jimol consoled his mother, EHS medical technicians arrived. Lewis said that after attending to her, the technicians handed Jerome a scalpel and allowed the boy to cut the umbilical cord. Lewis was then taken by the ambulance to SFGH. The mother said, “Perhaps the most memorable thing, is while being taken by the ambulance. I looked back and saw Jimol and Jerome standing by the gate crying, as the ambulance drove off with me.” The boys were left in the care of their aunt who by this time had arrived at the apartment. While Newsday interviewed Lewis at her home yesterday afternoon, Jimol and Jerome arrived from school. They said they had told their friends at school about their experience, but only Jerome told his teacher as well. “Well, my friends ask if is a boy or a girl,” Jimol said.

Both Lewis and baby are healthy, having been discharged from hospital on Sunday.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,151056.html
Working...
X